just bought an x299 cpu+mobo, what kind of performance should i expect from this platform?

1 minute ago, -rascal- said:

Well I don't know how other people overclock their CPUs, but I still tweak and adjust the Cache voltage / CPU Core PLL / Ring PLL, etc,  even with my i7-8086K.

Somewhat similar like how I did it like my i7-6800K on X99 / LGA 2011-v3.

I don't just mess with DRAM voltage, CPU Core Voltage, VCCIO, VCCSA, and call it a day...

Yeah but the thing is, an 8086K doesn't deal with VCCIN or uncore. These are both required for Sky-X. It isn't about how different people prefer to OC their CPUs, it's about the process being fundamentally different from the mainstream chips.

Black Lightning
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.7 ghz

Asrock Z77 Extreme4-M
2x8 GB 1600 MHz Crucial Ballistix Sport
MSI R9 290X Lightning
Corsair Crystal 280X Black RGB
240 GB Revodrive 3, 64 GB Sandisk SSD

EVGA Supernova 1200 P2
Noctua NH-C14S

Just now, -rascal- said:

I quickly realized the FX-8350 was pretty junky.

But I was able to do 5.1 ~ 5.2 GHz on that chip! And on air!

5.1 GHz was my daily use OC.

Before 5.0 +GHz was mainstream 🤣

I don't know...still haven't gotten rid of my Phenom II 1090T, FX-8350, and ASUS Crosshair V Formula board yet...

Still sitting across the room in the corner, collecting dust + webs.

5.1ghz is very respectable OC on air. Still a fun platform and the last of any reference (bus) overclocking. I miss it though. lol. Low IPC, but big numbers. Kinda like NetBurst, which If I'm not mistaken the Cpus are similar in Pipeline design and that's why they hit such high frequencies.

Well the hardware isn't worth much. I've had both of those processors as well. The 1090T is just a pure beast for it's platform. Gotta have a decent board for it though. 

Just junked an M4A78 Deluxe. It will only post bios defaults. And every time you want to boot it you have to clear the cmos. Scrap it went. I still have a Crosshair IV here somewhere. But no more FX chips, a couple of rouge Athlon and Phenom chips.

1 hour ago, The Blackhat said:

An example of the gaming hit of Sky-X is HWUnboxed's video on the 7800X vs the Ryzen 5 1600. While they did the testing at stock on the 7800X, and I am aware there is a large difference between a 7920X and a 7800X, the video is a good demonstration of Sky-X gaming performance core for core. It even loses in some situations to the 1600.

well that bodes poorly lol. should be interesting though, i'll have to run some benchmarks and see!

1 hour ago, porina said:

Before I continue, I currently own and use a 7920X, as well as 8086k/10600k. All three are in gaming systems but they have very different focuses.

what kinda focuses would be different between gaming systems? also, how's the 10600k compare to the 8086k? thanks for writing up your whole response btw, theres a bunch of very helpful info here 🙂

1 hour ago, porina said:

Ram bandwidth certainly affects performance, even in gaming, but how much depends on title and other factors. Dual rank per channel is always good to aim for. I'm running 8x8GB in mine for example.

yeah i was wondering whether to go for 4x8gb for better latency or 8x8gb for better bandwidth but worse latency. i think i'll benchmark both but i suspect that it'll have so much memory bandwidth anyways that better latency will be best

1 hour ago, porina said:

I've only OC'd my 7800X which I don't have any more. It was within 100 MHz of Kaby Lake, which is the nearest comparable process generation mainstream CPU. Don't necessarily expect 5 GHz, especially with all cores going. Even with a ton of rads, it will run hot. I haven't attempted to OC the 7920X cores yet since it is horrifically ram bandwidth limited for my use cases. Quad channels were barely enough to feed the 6 core 7800X running AVX-512.

What I have found can improve gaming performance is to disable Hyper-Threading. If you can overclock the cache that can help too but I found my 7920X responds much worse than my 7800X did.

i'm definitely considering the hyperthreading thing, was thinking that turning off cores would help but that's probably a comet lake exclusive lol. from the /r/overclocking wiki on reddit it seems that voltage tolerances are the same 1.35-1.4v on skylake x as consumer parts, but that you'll run into thermal limitations far earlier. i was maybe thinking i could get a 7900x/10900x instead, and be able to use more voltage for higher clocks while keeping the package temp the same as a 12 core chip running lower voltage. i'd do direct die but i think the monoblock wont allow for that...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

whoops

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

whoops

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, VeganJoy said:

1.35-1.4v

You are not getting 1.35v. You are getting 1.3v max on ambient unless you have a (very good) full loop, and more likely you'll be stuck at 1.2v if you have bad enough fortune as to be running air on x299.

yeah i was wondering whether to go for 4x8gb for better latency or 8x8gb for better bandwidth but worse latency.

4x8GB. If you're not OCing mem, what's even the point of buying into the platform.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, The Blackhat said:

An example of the gaming hit of Sky-X is HWUnboxed's video on the 7800X vs the Ryzen 5 1600. While they did the testing at stock on the 7800X, and I am aware there is a large difference between a 7920X and a 7800X, the video is a good demonstration of Sky-X gaming performance core for core. It even loses in some situations to the 1600.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3392-intel-i9-9980xe-review-disappointing-overclocker-but-good-when-stock

seems like it shouldnt be too bad with a decent oc!

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Vddg on auto actually and SOC 1.200v. More SOC doesn't help. Just creates heat.

B-Die likes a good kick in the nuts. Stability is found when keeping the memory at 40c or less. Can't let em' run warm. 50c+ is too much.

what are the best options for keeping b die cool? i'm guessing that watercooling them isnt the way to go?

29 minutes ago, Elisis said:

You are not getting 1.35v. You are getting 1.3v max on ambient unless you have a (very good) full loop, and more likely you'll be stuck at 1.2v if you have bad enough fortune as to be running air on x299.

ekwb 420mm CE and 280mm SE with noctua ippc a14 2000rpm fans, not going full blast ofc. been planning this first loop of mine for a while so i'm hoping it's decent lol

29 minutes ago, Elisis said:

4x8GB. If you're not OCing mem, what's even the point of buying into the platform.

this is a big part of what should be pretty exciting! but the board is technically validated at 4000mhz+ for both 4 and 8 dimm configs, so i was figuring i could get high clockspeeds plus memory interleaving, but idk what to expect from this platform in any way. and idk how low i'd be able to go on timings with that many dimms. would a cascade lake x cpu like a 10900x potentially be binned better, both for memory overclocking and voltage needed for a given clockspeed?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, VeganJoy said:

what are the best options for keeping b die cool? i'm guessing that watercooling them isnt the way to go?

Just put a fan on them, and they'll be just fine.

And don't worry about getting beaten up over the purchase. It's all good. Do your thing and learn it. It's still a very decent setup. 

Pro's, lots of threads and decent IPC. OC capable with good gains along the way. You'll have fun with it I think. Hope to see some screen shots and pictures.

Con's lots of heat, older platform. But from watching you on this forum, you are a hobbyist out having some fun. You should think of competitive benchmarking. Need a place to hang out and learn, find my PM box (DM or w/e the younger one's call it these days XD)

7 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

for memory overclocking

Yes, and mesh too.

7 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

voltage needed for a given clockspeed?

No, it'll be within margin of error even if it were a thing.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Just put a fan on them, and they'll be just fine.

And don't worry about getting beaten up over the purchase. It's all good. Do your thing and learn it. It's still a very decent setup. 

Pro's, lots of threads and decent IPC. OC capable with good gains along the way. You'll have fun with it I think. Hope to see some screen shots and pictures.

Con's lots of heat, older platform. But from watching you on this forum, you are a hobbyist out having some fun. You should think of competitive benchmarking. Need a place to hang out and learn, find my PM box (DM or w/e the younger one's call it these days XD)

ha yeah i went into this knowing that it's not the absolute best performance possible but it should be a ton of fun and it's been my favorite mobo since it released. i just didnt wanna pay 750 plus whatever exorbitant price the cpu was lol. i dont think i'd be interested in competitive overclocking though, i really prefer ambient cooling and i really only try for 24/7 stable ocs. plus i'd burn up a bunch of hardware while learning and i dont have the budget for that yet lol, i only have the budget for this through lurking sale threads and trading/flipping my way up. it's taken me a few months but i've gone from a 9700k + 1080ti to a 10900k + 2080ti while actually making money lmao

4 minutes ago, Elisis said:

Yes, and mesh too.

No, it'll be within margin of error even if it were a thing.

hmmm if i cant hit 4000mhz on at least 4 dimms then maybe i'll spring for a 10900x. did those get the same die-sanding and other thermal optimizations that comet lake did?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

ha yeah i went into this knowing that it's not the absolute best performance possible but it should be a ton of fun and it's been my favorite mobo since it released. i just didnt wanna pay 750 plus whatever exorbitant price the cpu was lol. i dont think i'd be interested in competitive overclocking though, i really prefer ambient cooling and i really only try for 24/7 stable ocs. plus i'd burn up a bunch of hardware while learning and i dont have the budget for that yet lol, i only have the budget for this through lurking sale threads and trading/flipping my way up. it's taken me a few months but i've gone from a 9700k + 1080ti to a 10900k + 2080ti while actually making money lmao

It's actually difficult to break hardware. You don't have to aim for super edgy overclocks either. That's not always what it's about really. A lot of competitions actually have a lot of restrictions. Heck, my office PC is passively cooled. No fan on the heatsink. Nice and quiet.

What you see in my avatar picture is a 6ghz 8700K that I went sub zero with 22L of LN2. 

It's now in my Silverstone TJ07 for daily. 🙂 

Here's a screen shot just now.

Double checked my settings Vccio and SA at 1.1250v and memory is actually 1.58v 4000mhz CL16-16-16-36

8700K daily mem clocks.png

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Here's a screen shot just now.

Double checked my settings Vccio and SA at 1.1250v and memory is actually 1.58v 4000mhz CL16-16-16-36

8700K daily mem clocks.png

that seems like impressively low io/sa voltage for 4000mhz, on an 8700k no less! but why no oc on the cpu? and 1.58v seems like a lot of voltage for 4000c16, dont they make 4400c16 kits that run 1.5v?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

29 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

that seems like impressively low io/sa voltage for 4000mhz, on an 8700k no less! but why no oc on the cpu? and 1.58v seems like a lot of voltage for 4000c16, dont they make 4400c16 kits that run 1.5v?

Just because I have used LN2, doesn't mean I don't air cool daily rigs. I have parts for a loop, but honestly don't need it. She'll do 5ghz, but since I do fold, I just keep it at 4.7ghz and it runs pretty cool that way under 1.3v you know.  My 2700X also stock frequency, but increased EDC limit so it boosts about 100mhz more than default which is ok. 

I'm not a gaming frame rate whore, just an old modder and bencher. In my spare time as a hobby, nearly 20 years deep. Der8auer was a new guy back at EOCF years ago. He got his thin shaving razor blade trick for cutting the glue under the IHS plate from your's truly. Not bragging, but it's cool to see that carried out into the world like that and used by someone that's as popular as he is. Grats to him on that. The original die mate was released in 2015. I had made the delid tutorial in 2009. 

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=332705

This was one of the most popular overclocking forums around. Is now dead for a multitude of reasons, some of which behind the legality, I cannot share with anyone.

1.58v seems like a lot of voltage for 4000c16

1.58v is not a lot of voltage for B-die. Easily handle 1.8v+ - Get past 2.0v chill or kill. 

No I would not recommend 1.8v and up for daily use. 1.55v-1.65v, sure why not. After all that's what you are paying for. High end memory.

For example, a good set of DDR(1) Memory, your starting to overclock around 3.2v, but trying to stay under 4v. lol. Chill or kill.

So it looks like running a little higher memory voltage helps keep that Vccio and SA voltages down doesn't it. Could probably use less than 1.58v, but the temps are good. So I don't worry on it much and am NOT actively cooling the sticks either. Dimm temps are 18c, but not under any real load at the moment.

8700K voltage settings-current

210122210146.BMP

26 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Just because I have used LN2, doesn't mean I don't air cool daily rigs. I have parts for a loop, but honestly don't need it. She'll do 5ghz, but since I do fold, I just keep it at 4.7ghz and it runs pretty cool that way under 1.3v you know.  My 2700X also stock frequency, but increased EDC limit so it boosts about 100mhz more than default which is ok. 

I'm not a gaming frame rate whore, just an old modder and bencher. In my spare time as a hobby, nearly 20 years deep. Der8auer was a new guy back at EOCF years ago. He got his thin shaving razor blade trick for cutting the glue under the IHS plate from your's truly. Not bragging, but it's cool to see that carried out into the world like that and used by someone that's as popular as he is. Grats to him on that. The original die mate was released in 2015. I had made the delid tutorial in 2009. 

https://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=332705

This was one of the most popular overclocking forums around. Is now dead for a multitude of reasons, some of which behind the legality, I cannot share with anyone.

1.58v is not a lot of voltage for B-die. Easily handle 1.8v+ - Get past 2.0v chill or kill. 

No I would not recommend 1.8v and up for daily use. 1.55v-1.65v, sure why not. After all that's what you are paying for. High end memory.

For example, a good set of DDR(1) Memory, your starting to overclock around 3.2v, but trying to stay under 4v. lol. Chill or kill.

So it looks like running a little higher memory voltage helps keep that Vccio and SA voltages down doesn't it. Could probably use less than 1.58v, but the temps are good. So I don't worry on it much and am NOT actively cooling the sticks either. Dimm temps are 18c, but not under any real load at the moment.

8700K voltage settings-current

210122210146.BMP 3 MB · 2 downloads

wow i guess youve been doing this for a while lol. and yeah i pay for high end memory to work, not to burn up... but i'll have to mess with higher voltages and take your word for it, gskill dimms with their temp sensors are real nice. but yeah i'm all about more "functional" overclocks, big numbers are fun i guess but if you can't use em all the time then why bother 😛

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

wow i guess youve been doing this for a while lol. and yeah i pay for high end memory to work, not to burn up... but i'll have to mess with higher voltages and take your word for it, gskill dimms with their temp sensors are real nice. but yeah i'm all about more "functional" overclocks, big numbers are fun i guess but if you can't use em all the time then why bother 😛

I'm willing to say it will do CL 14 at the same voltage 😉 I just haven't changed it to lower yet. (I didn't say stable CL14... benching yeah, daily no)

The memory that scales on voltage likes a good kick in the nuts.

No different than going from 4.7ghz 1.28v to 5ghz 1.360v to 5.3ghz 1.510v  Cpu.

11 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

what kinda focuses would be different between gaming systems? also, how's the 10600k compare to the 8086k?

8086k + 2070 is in my main desktop gaming system. 1440p144 display.

10600k + 2080Ti is my 4k60 TV gaming system.

7920X + 1080Ti is my streaming setup. I "only" play 1080p60 on that but the extra cores might help with streaming overhead.

I've not done exact tests between them but I don't expect any meaningful difference between 8086k and 10600k. Both 6 cores, essentially same architecture, actual clocks might vary a little but nothing to be concerned with.

yeah i was wondering whether to go for 4x8gb for better latency or 8x8gb for better bandwidth but worse latency. i think i'll benchmark both but i suspect that it'll have so much memory bandwidth anyways that better latency will be best

Testing is the only way to know what really happens on the things you care about, in your exact circumstances. Other's testing can give an indication of where to look.

i'm definitely considering the hyperthreading thing, was thinking that turning off cores would help but that's probably a comet lake exclusive lol.

You can disable cores on the 7000X series. I ran my 7920X at 8 cores HT off for a while as it boosted slightly more than at 12 cores HT off. Still, disabling cores is a bit of a why even get that CPU moment. I happen to have the 7920X lying around. Yes, nice problem to have. I just reused it for gaming system at the time.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I'm willing to say it will do CL 14 at the same voltage 😉 I just haven't changed it to lower yet. (I didn't say stable CL14... benching yeah, daily no)

The memory that scales on voltage likes a good kick in the nuts.

No different than going from 4.7ghz 1.28v to 5ghz 1.360v to 5.3ghz 1.510v  Cpu.

4000c14 for daily would be pretty insane lol. but i'd hazard a guess that 1.51v on current cpu generations isnt the safest load voltage

so how about really bad b die bins, like corsair who mixes v4.31 b die into their 3200c16 kits? would you figure that high voltages on those are safe too?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

4000c14 for daily would be pretty insane lol. but i'd hazard a guess that 1.51v on current cpu generations isnt the safest load voltage

so how about really bad b die bins, like corsair who mixes v4.31 b die into their 3200c16 kits? would you figure that high voltages on those are safe too?

I have a Geothermal water loop. My Delta is whatever the ground water temp is. 1.51v I have run quite a bit, obviously with HT off ect.

The bad B-Dies are "bad" for a reason. However "should" scale better than say SK Hynix at the same frequency. 

But let's clear any misconceptions about voltages. It's not always just the voltage that does a kill. 

Rule of thumb overclocking.

Increase speed and voltage, lower the temps. The higher the voltage you use, the lower the temps you should go.

In example, you don't want to run a Ryzen chip at 1.40+ volts and not be at least sub ambient on the core temps.

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I have a Geothermal water loop. My Delta is whatever the ground water temp is. 1.51v I have run quite a bit, obviously with HT off ect.

The bad B-Dies are "bad" for a reason. However "should" scale better than say SK Hynix at the same frequency. 

But let's clear any misconceptions about voltages. It's not always just the voltage that does a kill. 

Rule of thumb overclocking.

Increase speed and voltage, lower the temps. The higher the voltage you use, the lower the temps you should go.

In example, you don't want to run a Ryzen chip at 1.40+ volts and not be at least sub ambient on the core temps.

yeah i've read that temps are pretty important. speaking of, someone near me has some of those ekwb monarch ram watercooling things for really cheap, presumably cause theyre a pretty silly bit of hardware. but if i plan to be pumping 1.5v or more into 8 sticks of ram, you figure itd be worth the trouble?

also, i've been overclocking my 10900k + xii hero (soon to be replaced hehe), havent had it for very long and tbh i'm not great with overclocking in the first place. previous owner of both the cpu and board claimed that they ran it at 5.1ghz, 1.25v (in bios), and LLC 8. i dont really know much about the LLC levels but i punched in his settings, and it's at least stable in non avx p95 (my d15s is already really struggling here lol). but if i turn off asus's multicore enhancement and change nothing, it bluescreens on non avx p95 almost immediately. in the short time i'm able to see, load voltage is about the same as with MCE off and the power draw is the same (1.27-1.28v, 240-250w, 95C). the load voltage when i ran the chip with just MCE and no overclock seemed like it was pretty close; in hwinfo, the chip reported 1.23v at "stock" and 190w (around 80-85C iirc), the board reported 1.12v and 165w. the disparity is lesser with the overclock but it's certainly confusing and i'm not sure why MCE makes my manual OC more stable; i also have zero clue what LLC setting to use...

sorry for the rambling wall of text, any chance you've got some pointers? the asus bios rates the chip at SP94 which i hear is both good and a bit meaningless, but it'd be nice to get a solid bin on this chip before i part with it.

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

All good mack.

The chip rating can be meaningful, it shows a higher OC on a lower voltage, that's a good deal. I dont know how accurate it would be without a stack of the same cpu to do lots of testing. So we can assume its sorta reliable, kinda like Ryzen master reporting your fastest core. Without really testing each core individually, you just trust that core 7 is the fastest.

MCE allows the chip to operate outside its power restriction if where set to defaults. So yes, it should make your OC a little more stable.

The idea about running a chip cool is to lower transistor leakage. This helps keep a lower vcore for higher clock speeds, but like with any overclocking, you will always face diminishing returns at some point.

No, water blocks for memory is not worth it. You wont be running the memory voltage that high anyways. 1.50v on air is a non issue.

44 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

MCE allows the chip to operate outside its power restriction if where set to defaults. So yes, it should make your OC a little more stable.

huh fair enough, so i should leave it on for my manual oc? how about all the different LLC levels? i'm sure they wouldn't have so many levels for no reason. i know it's for controlling vdroop but would you ever want a situation where you have lots of vdroop?

47 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No, water blocks for memory is not worth it. You wont be running the memory voltage that high anyways. 1.50v on air is a non issue.

welll i was thinking i should run 1.55 or 1.6v like you 😄

i've got some sticks running 1.35v XMP right now, and in p95 large ffts they hit 40-41C already; didnt you say that <40C is best? iirc on my old ryzen system i was running over 50C with 1.45v. and with 4-8 dimms i can imagine they'll run even hotter than just 2 sticks with an empty slot between em...

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

huh fair enough, so i should leave it on for my manual oc? how about all the different LLC levels? i'm sure they wouldn't have so many levels for no reason. i know it's for controlling vdroop but would you ever want a situation where you have lots of vdroop?

welll i was thinking i should run 1.55 or 1.6v like you 😄

i've got some sticks running 1.35v XMP right now, and in p95 large ffts they hit 40-41C already; didnt you say that <40C is best? iirc on my old ryzen system i was running over 50C with 1.45v. and with 4-8 dimms i can imagine they'll run even hotter than just 2 sticks with an empty slot between em...

My ambient temps are low. It's probably about 65F in the room. No direct airflow other than case flow. My Dimms with F@H core running at 22.8c. 

40c is best for really high frequency (4000+) and super tight timings yes.

XMP, yeah, probably keep below 50c would be a good idea. Memory can run a higher temp at Jedec Defaults for sure, maybe up to 80c.

But any goal, like I said before, is lower temps always when applying more voltage and frequency. 

LLC, you adjust according to V-droop on loads. Not idle. So you may have a slight over-volt at idle, and the goal is to level out v-core under load, prevent droop which causes instabilities. Same holds true for memory, and you probably have often seen me mention to disable power down mode. This really does help people when their system hangs when the memory goes into power saving states. The system doesn't like that voltage drop going along with that XMP overclock. If that makes sense.

22 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

My ambient temps are low. It's probably about 65F in the room. No direct airflow other than case flow. My Dimms with F@H core running at 22.8c. 

40c is best for really high frequency (4000+) and super tight timings yes.

XMP, yeah, probably keep below 50c would be a good idea. Memory can run a higher temp at Jedec Defaults for sure, maybe up to 80c.

But any goal, like I said before, is lower temps always when applying more voltage and frequency. 

LLC, you adjust according to V-droop on loads. Not idle. So you may have a slight over-volt at idle, and the goal is to level out v-core under load, prevent droop which causes instabilities. Same holds true for memory, and you probably have often seen me mention to disable power down mode. This really does help people when their system hangs when the memory goes into power saving states. The system doesn't like that voltage drop going along with that XMP overclock. If that makes sense.

whoa thats a bit chilly lol. i'd like to hit 4000mhz, i'll try without watercooling em but if i'm running in the 50s and 60s for the hottest dimms then it's watercooled ram time 😄 as for the disabling power down mode, is that setting PPT to 0?

i tested with MCE on, stock clocks, vcore at 1.25 and with varying levels of LLC, using non avx p95 for the load. LLC 8 brings vcore up to 1.28, chip reports 1.18v. LLC 4 drops down to 1.10v, chip still reports 1.18v but it runs a lot lower wattage and thus temps (220w to 170w iirc). LLC 1 bluescreens immediately upon starting non avx p95 lol. so with the amount of vdroop at LLC 4 (1.25 to 1.1), what scenarios would the lower LLC levels be useful for? and what's up with what the chip reports in hwinfo versus what the motherboard reports in hwinfo?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

22 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

whoa thats a bit chilly lol. i'd like to hit 4000mhz, i'll try without watercooling em but if i'm running in the 50s and 60s for the hottest dimms then it's watercooled ram time 😄 as for the disabling power down mode, is that setting PPT to 0?

i tested with MCE on, stock clocks, vcore at 1.25 and with varying levels of LLC, using non avx p95 for the load. LLC 8 brings vcore up to 1.28, chip reports 1.18v. LLC 4 drops down to 1.10v, chip still reports 1.18v but it runs a lot lower wattage and thus temps (220w to 170w iirc). LLC 1 bluescreens immediately upon starting non avx p95 lol. so with the amount of vdroop at LLC 4 (1.25 to 1.1), what scenarios would the lower LLC levels be useful for? and what's up with what the chip reports in hwinfo versus what the motherboard reports in hwinfo?

One of the voltages is probably VID, processor request voltage. Can be ignored when manually overclocking.

Power down mode allows memory voltage to throttle during low power states or low usage. Most of the time, the memory controller doesnt like this course of action any more than cpu core and lvl 1 LLC as you've just described.

No reason to run a low LLC at all. 

Transistors leak voltage when hot. I have demonstrated 2700X sub zero -30c idle TEC cooled do CB runs at UNDER 1.2v running 4Ghz. The "extreme" temperature helps prevent leakage. This holds true for most hardware. But there are exceptions out there on platforms people dont run anymore.