just bought an x299 cpu+mobo, what kind of performance should i expect from this platform?

13 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Power down mode allows memory voltage to throttle during low power states or low usage. Most of the time, the memory controller doesnt like this course of action any more than cpu core and lvl 1 LLC as you've just described.

i cant find a "power down mode" in the intel bios like i could on amd but it seems that setting the PPD timing to 0 will do the trick?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

58 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i cant find a "power down mode" in the intel bios like i could on amd but it seems that setting the PPD timing to 0 will do the trick?

Right, got my platforms mixed up XD. Happens as you get older. 

PPD will help decrease latency.

17 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Right, got my platforms mixed up XD. Happens as you get older. 

PPD will help decrease latency.

honestly i've been having problems with just a basic memory overclock lol. i had 2x8gb of those patriot 4400c19 b die sticks that werent stable at xmp (was able to get 4000c15 stable with shit subtimings lol) with this 10900k+hero and now i cant get 2x16gb of trident 3200c14 running at 4000mhz without errors. i've gone through the memtesthelper guide on ddr4 overclocking and all of the "safe" settings throw errors, violating the guidelines/rules makes it more stable (3600 14-14-30 throws errors, 3600 14-15-30 works, 3600 14-15-34 throws errors??). 4000mhz 18-19-19-39 at 1.5v throws errors but i know the parts will run 4000mhz ram. and presumably, comet lake is supposed to have really good support for dual rank overclocking compared to previous gens. been running 1.3v VCCIO/SA too, higher is more unstable and lower is more unstable lmao. i set those to auto with 4000mhz to see what silly numbers it'd spit out and i stopped being able to boot 4000mhz with any settings, let alone memtesting it..... just so confused lmao

oh btw, i forgot that i always use the silicon lottery's historical binning stats to help my overclocks lol. in their 10900k overclock instructions they say to run LLC 3, making the load voltage (die sense, which seems to be ~0.1v below socket sense) around 1.19v... would it be better to have the LLC higher and set the bios voltage lower, such that the load voltage is about the same but the level of vdroop is lower? they do run a -1 avx offset and i've read that the voltage jump between avx offsets and normal operation can cause instability, maybe that has something to do with it?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

50 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

honestly i've been having problems with just a basic memory overclock lol. i had 2x8gb of those patriot 4400c19 b die sticks that werent stable at xmp (was able to get 4000c15 stable with shit subtimings lol) with this 10900k+hero and now i cant get 2x16gb of trident 3200c14 running at 4000mhz without errors. i've gone through the memtesthelper guide on ddr4 overclocking and all of the "safe" settings throw errors, violating the guidelines/rules makes it more stable (3600 14-14-30 throws errors, 3600 14-15-30 works, 3600 14-15-34 throws errors??). 4000mhz 18-19-19-39 at 1.5v throws errors but i know the parts will run 4000mhz ram. and presumably, comet lake is supposed to have really good support for dual rank overclocking compared to previous gens. been running 1.3v VCCIO/SA too, higher is more unstable and lower is more unstable lmao. i set those to auto with 4000mhz to see what silly numbers it'd spit out and i stopped being able to boot 4000mhz with any settings, let alone memtesting it..... just so confused lmao

oh btw, i forgot that i always use the silicon lottery's historical binning stats to help my overclocks lol. in their 10900k overclock instructions they say to run LLC 3, making the load voltage (die sense, which seems to be ~0.1v below socket sense) around 1.19v... would it be better to have the LLC higher and set the bios voltage lower, such that the load voltage is about the same but the level of vdroop is lower? they do run a -1 avx offset and i've read that the voltage jump between avx offsets and normal operation can cause instability, maybe that has something to do with it?

CPU might be a little warm on the IMC maybe?

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

CPU might be a little warm on the IMC maybe?

i have no idea, i'm running memtest86 on a bootable stick which i'm pretty sure isn't really intensive, so nothing should be getting too hot. even the sticks are basically cool to the touch, maybe 30C lol. i was running all my memory overclocking at stock cpu settings anyways.

so i'm running the silicon lottery settings and it's working pretty good, load voltage is 1.2v for 5.1ghz. although they have you put in power limits so that avx doesnt catch everything on fire lol, so it's throttling to ~4.5ghz avx as a result. and idk if their "per core usage" way of sorting the clockspeeds works right cause setting p95 to run on just a few threads doesnt run at the proper positive clock offset. once i get all my custom loop parts in stock, i'll make sure to go even more crazy lol.

actually now that i'm paying more attention to it, it seems that vdroop varies depending on how many cores are being used? at LLC 3 and 1.375v set in bios, 20 threads of p95 non avx results in 1.2v load and 1 thread results in 1.35v load (running between 5.1 and 5.2ghz, from what i can tell in hwinfo). i wonder if this is intended by the low LLC setting?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i have no idea, i'm running memtest86 on a bootable stick which i'm pretty sure isn't really intensive, so nothing should be getting too hot. even the sticks are basically cool to the touch, maybe 30C lol. i was running all my memory overclocking at stock cpu settings anyways.

so i'm running the silicon lottery settings and it's working pretty good, load voltage is 1.2v for 5.1ghz. although they have you put in power limits so that avx doesnt catch everything on fire lol, so it's throttling to ~4.5ghz avx as a result. and idk if their "per core usage" way of sorting the clockspeeds works right cause setting p95 to run on just a few threads doesnt run at the proper positive clock offset. once i get all my custom loop parts in stock, i'll make sure to go even more crazy lol.

actually now that i'm paying more attention to it, it seems that vdroop varies depending on how many cores are being used? at LLC 3 and 1.375v set in bios, 20 threads of p95 non avx results in 1.2v load and 1 thread results in 1.35v load (running between 5.1 and 5.2ghz, from what i can tell in hwinfo). i wonder if this is intended by the low LLC setting?

I dunno. Have only clocked the Cpu to what AVX can do stable. I don't like things to throttle, but that's personal preference. That means I disable c-states. 

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I dunno. Have only clocked the Cpu to what AVX can do stable. I don't like things to throttle, but that's personal preference. That means I disable c-states.

yeah once i have the cooling solution in place i'll be running 0 avx offset... this d15s was really not designed for such a monster chip lmao. but i don't like wasting power at idle so i usually leave the big cpu power saving options on. unless some of them affect stability like the ram power down stuff? or was that amd only?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

Just now, VeganJoy said:

yeah once i have the cooling solution in place i'll be running 0 avx offset... this d15s was really not designed for such a monster chip lmao. but i don't like wasting power at idle so i usually leave the big cpu power saving options on. unless some of them affect stability like the ram power down stuff? or was that amd only?

Power down I was talking about AMD. We kinda touched base on some differences.... 

The Cpu is too hot under stress testing I imagine. They respond really well to 70c vs 85c ++ .

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Power down I was talking about AMD. We kinda touched base on some differences.... 

The Cpu is too hot under stress testing I imagine. They respond really well to 70c vs 85c ++ .

i am now realizing that i'm a bit dumb and forgot to change the load line setting. so it's been on auto for all of today lmfao

so thats interesting, i thought LLC on auto was supposed to try matching load voltage to whats set in bios... time to try what i meant to try in the first place 😄

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i am now realizing that i'm a bit dumb and forgot to change the load line setting. so it's been on auto for all of today lmfao

so thats interesting, i thought LLC on auto was supposed to try matching load voltage to whats set in bios... time to try what i meant to try in the first place 😄

Take your time. Everything you do now will likely change after you get that custom water loop setup.

On 1/23/2021 at 10:06 AM, VeganJoy said:

so yeah maybe i shouldve put a disclaimer that this is my dream board lmao, it could run as slow as my old r5 3600 and i'd be happy.

Awesome that you could find one at a good price then. Have fun with it. X299 will provide you with plenty of options for tuning. 
Maybe one day i'll dig into the details of doing a proper OC on my 10980xe, but for now I don't know enough about it. Have let Intel Performance Maximizer do its thing which has given me a 3.9ghz all core. Nothing extraordinary. But still a bloody fast system and is great for using VM's.