Asus Prime X470-PRO + 5800X

SuperIan89
Go to solution Solved by cm992,

Many B450 and X470 boards already have BIOS updates that enable support for Ryzen 5000. According to the CPU support list your board supports the Ryzen 5800X since BIOS version 5809 which is the latest (non-beta) BIOS available. So download and apply BIOS version 5809. Make sure you validate that BIOS 5809 was applied using cpu-z before you install your new Ryzen 5800X.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Hey guys, 

I've had an Asus Prime x470-pro with a 2700 CPU for a few years now and am not particularly interested in upgrading my MOBO. 

I recently picked up a 5800X going off the assumption that it would be compatible with my MOBO right away (stupid, I know).

I haven't installed the new CPU yet because I've now read that my MOBO wouldn't be compatible until Asus releases a new Bios update.

Looking around online and looking at the ASUS bios update list below, I'm not finding anything that confirms that the 5800X will work once I update.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/PRIME-X470-PRO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

That leads me to my questions:

If I were to update my MOBO bios to AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.0, would the 5800X be compatible? 

Has anyone out there updated their Asus x470 and been able to use a 5000 series CPU with it? 

Thanks! 

-Ian

as far as im aware only x570 and b550 boards have received bios updates for 5000 series support. you will probably have to wait a while for x470/b450 to become compatible if they are compatible at all.

chances are they will be compatible but there is also a chance that they wont be.

i would go ahead and try a bios update anyway. i could be wrong about the support. but i wouldnt expect it to work

Hi!

As Asus has not clearly said its supported waiting might be safe but from the Bios update website it looks like they added support in the 5809 version. I found some reddit threads people claiming to use the X470-Pro with Ryzen 5600x with even a older bios. Just look on the Asus website and check Bios version 5809. It says that it added new cpu support. It does not specify but I would suspect it means the 5000 series.

Many B450 and X470 boards already have BIOS updates that enable support for Ryzen 5000. According to the CPU support list your board supports the Ryzen 5800X since BIOS version 5809 which is the latest (non-beta) BIOS available. So download and apply BIOS version 5809. Make sure you validate that BIOS 5809 was applied using cpu-z before you install your new Ryzen 5800X.

1.PNG

2.PNG

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

18 minutes ago, cm992 said:

1.PNG

2.PNG

Awesome, I didn't know that CPU support list existed. Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!