Low gpu usage

LilPach

My rtx 3070 is having low gpu usage, even with settings at epic in fortnite. It uses 30-40% of the gpu causing not full 240 FPS. I have a 240hz monitor. How can I fix this, should I cap my framerate in game or not? Should I use the g sync compatible feature?

Whats your cpu? You're probably being bottlenecked by cpu single core speed because that is often the case at really high fps. Here is an example where a Ryzen 3600 bottlenecks the RTX 3070 at 1080p competitive settings to around 230fps

edit: you could try enabling "performance rendering mode" on top of competitive settings to get more fps

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

38 minutes ago, cm992 said:

Whats your cpu? You're probably being bottlenecked by cpu single core speed because that is often the case at really high fps. Here is an example where a Ryzen 3600 bottlenecks the RTX 3070 at 1080p competitive settings to around 230fps

edit: you could try enabling "performance rendering mode" on top of competitive settings to get more fps

I have a Ryzen 3700x and I run all low settings except for epic view distance and texture (competitive settings) to try and force more usage and also have an advantage. How do I enable performace rendering mode? Are you talking about the new api option fortnite added a few weeks ago?

I also forgot to mention this is an issue in warzone a game that is much more demanding, no matter the settings I don’t get over 80-90 frames which is very low for a 3070. In warzone I get about 60% usage

2 hours ago, LilPach said:

My rtx 3070 is having low gpu usage, even with settings at epic in fortnite. It uses 30-40% of the gpu causing not full 240 FPS. I have a 240hz monitor. How can I fix this, should I cap my framerate in game or not? Should I use the g sync compatible feature?

I have the same problem, i have i7 9700k and 6800xt and my gpu usage is around 60-70, but after i overclock my cpu to 5000mhz, my cpu and hou reach 98-100%,

3 hours ago, LilPach said:

I have a Ryzen 3700x and I run all low settings except for epic view distance and texture

9 hours ago, LilPach said:

I have not but I will give it a try 

So have you tried this yet? As I have already explained increasing resolution is, logically, the way to increase GPU usage... 

I don't really understand why you needed to make a new thread tbh. UwU 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

41 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So have you tried this yet? As I have already explained increasing resolution is, logically, the way to increase GPU usage... 

I don't really understand why you needed to make a new thread tbh. UwU 

Didn’t work, may just be a driver issue. 

6 hours ago, LilPach said:

I have a Ryzen 3700x and I run all low settings except for epic view distance and texture (competitive settings) to try and force more usage and also have an advantage. How do I enable performace rendering mode? Are you talking about the new api option fortnite added a few weeks ago?

I also forgot to mention this is an issue in warzone a game that is much more demanding, no matter the settings I don’t get over 80-90 frames which is very low for a 3070. In warzone I get about 60% usage

Your GPU usuage is low because you have a CPU bottleneck on single core performance when trying to get really high fps in 1080p. Here is proof, a gameplay benchmark of a Ryzen 3700x and RTX 3070 system playing fortnite 1080p competitive and getting ~205 fps on average. It shows GPU usuage at 40% and CPU usuage at ~50%. Now because the Ryzen 3700X has eight cores this means that not all cores are being fully used because fortnite is not optimized for it and it is bottlenecking on 1-4 of the cores. This is why CPU single core speed matters for high refresh rate gaming.

Further proof of this comes in the form of another gameplay benchmark video but this time with a Ryzen 5800X and RTX 3070 playing in 1080p competitive and getting 300-400 fps, this is because the Ryzen 5800X has much better single core performance than the Ryzen 3700X.

Warzone will be a similar situation if you set it to 1080p low and target high fps for your 240hz monitor:

Video Ryzen 3700X + RTX 3070 warzone 1080p low ~140fps

Video Ryzen 5800X + RTX 3070 warzone 1080p low ~180fps

So if you upgrade your 3700X to a 5800X you can expect to get higher fps at 1080p low where you are CPU bottlenecked

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms