New X570 Aorus Elite not posting with Ryzen 5600x

Go to solution Solved by Kalama,
23 minutes ago, KalamajaMees said:

Looking at the date edited on the bios file of the usb stick seems like I had (successfully I hope) installed the F30 bios (which is still ryzen 5000 compatible) and the second USB stick that did not work was the F32, I will now try the F32 on the stick that seemed to work but I am very skeptical on this fixing the situation.

This worked

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor

Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard

Corsair RMi 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

I used qflash plus to update the bios to F32 (newest version) which seemed to work correctly, with the qflash plus light flashing, slow at first and then fast followed by an automatic shutdown.

No CPU or GPU or ram installed for this step.

Problem: 

I turn the power supply on, motherboard lights flash, hit the power button, CPU, motherboard and GPU fans spin but no video output/post no lights are on. Pressing the reset switch just causes the GPU fans to spin an max speed for a second and then it goes back to normal. Only way to shut down the system is to turn off the power supply. If I don't shut it down all fans just keep spinning at a normal speed.

GPU works fine on my other system, so does the ram and the different displays I tried (both hdmi and DP), rest of the things are brand new

No bent pins on CPU

Only the cables I need are connected to the power supply

In addition to trying everything relevant (no debug led as far as I can see) in the README: How to respond to a no POST or no power up situation pinned post like:

Clearing CMOS

Reseating everything

Only 1 stick of ram

Different ram slots

Checking cable connections

Using monitors on another system

Using ram on another system

Using GPU on another system

I also tried:

Flashing the bios again

Different ram

Different GPU

Seeing as the motherboard seems to work fine without the CPU I'm afraid it is the CPU that is broken.

I have no reason to believe the PSU is faulty but I do have another one I could try.

I have no am4 motherboard I could try nor another am4 CPU.

No drive connected so no OS.

I tried using qflash with another usb drive that I made on my laptop but that one didn't work for some reason.

Maybe the bios flashing wasnt successful. All I can think of that would cause only the mobo/cpu to be the problem

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

You renamed the BIOS file that you downloaded yeah? The USB is formatted in FAT32?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

You renamed the BIOS file that you downloaded yeah? The USB is formatted in FAT32?

Did both.

I'm also going to try the F30 bios version just in case. I should also mention that the motherboard came with ryzen 3000 support so it probably had the F20 or F21 bios installed before I used Qflash plus

Just now, KalamajaMees said:

Did both.

I'm also going to try the F30 bios version just in case. I should also mention that the motherboard came with ryzen 3000 support so it probably had the F20 or F21 bios installed before I used Qflash plus

What did you rename the BIOS to? Also, what USB port are you putting the drive in?

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

What did you rename the BIOS to? Also, what USB port are you putting the drive in?

GIGABYTE.bin and I put it in the white port like it says here. like I said in the post, the bios update seemed to work based on the light flashing.

6 minutes ago, KalamajaMees said:

GIGABYTE.bin and I put it in the white port like it says here. like I said in the post, the bios update seemed to work based on the light flashing.

I'm just going through little stuff that can/has caused problems on here. Not calling you dumb.

Your monitor is plugged into your GPU? You have the 4+4 pin CPU power plugged in on top left of the motherboard?

The reset switch makes me think something isn't plugged in correctly.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

I'm just going through little stuff that can/has caused problems on here. Not calling you dumb.

Your monitor is plugged into your GPU? You have the 4+4 pin CPU power plugged in on top left of the motherboard?

The reset switch makes me think something isn't plugged in correctly.

All of that is correct, I even tried all the different ports on the GPU. I am a bit skeptical on how the cables are connected to the PSU as I couldn't tell if there was a difference between where the PCIe goes and where the CPU 8 pin connector goes on the modular PSU.

Looking at the date edited on the bios file of the usb stick seems like I had (successfully I hope) installed the F30 bios (which is still ryzen 5000 compatible) and the second USB stick that did not work was the F32, I will now try the F32 on the stick that seemed to work but I am very skeptical on this fixing the situation.

10 minutes ago, KalamajaMees said:

All of that is correct, I even tried all the different ports on the GPU. I am a bit skeptical on how the cables are connected to the PSU as I couldn't tell if there was a difference between where the PCIe goes and where the CPU 8 pin connector goes on the modular PSU.

As long as you plugged them in the 8 pin plugs on the PSU that's not the problem. I'm more curious about your front IO connectors. It sounds like you got something plugged in wrong going to the front of the case. Mind posting a picture of that connector on the motherboard?

Edit: If you can manage to, I'd like to see the labels on the Reset and Power switch connectors. Probably not going to be an easy task. Just enough to see a R or a P should do

Spoiler

PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Corsair_Type_4.png?

Edited by Voluspa

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

As long as you plugged them in the 8 pin plugs on the PSU that's not the problem. I'm more curious about your front IO connectors. It sounds like you got something plugged in wrong going to the front of the case. Mind posting a picture of that connector on the motherboard?

Reveal hidden contents

PSU_Pinout_Voltage_-_Corsair_Type_4.png?

I'm running this outside of the case on the mother board box and using a screwdriver to start the system (just like Linus :P). I have been very careful to not touch pins that don't need to be touched and I have done this before.

2 minutes ago, KalamajaMees said:

I'm running this outside of the case on the mother board box and using a screwdriver to start the system (just like Linus :P). I have been very careful to not touch pins that don't need to be touched and I have done this before.

This sounds like a motherboard or CPU issue. I'd get with ASUS and see about an RMA for the board. A board SEEMS more likely to cause these issues to me and would be a faster turnaround time with shortages.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

This sounds like a motherboard or CPU issue. I'd get with ASUS and see about an RMA for the board. A board SEEMS more likely to cause these issues to me and would be a faster turnaround time with shortages.

No real shortages on these CPUs except the higher price tag on store shelfs here (EU, Estonia) also I do have the option to just return the parts to the store instead of to the manufacturer which I would think is faster.

1 minute ago, KalamajaMees said:

No real shortages on these CPUs except the higher price tag on store shelfs here (EU, Estonia) also I do have the option to just return the parts to the store instead of to the manufacturer which I would think is faster.

If you got that option, I'd go with it. You might also be able to get them to update BIOS for you and confirm it works. If they're a smaller store and can do that, it would let them plug an older, supported CPU in, update the traditional way and see that it all works. Even if it's a larger store you might still ask about that. 

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

23 minutes ago, KalamajaMees said:

This worked

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

If you got that option, I'd go with it. You might also be able to get them to update BIOS for you and confirm it works. If they're a smaller store and can do that, it would let them plug an older, supported CPU in, update the traditional way and see that it all works. Even if it's a larger store you might still ask about that. 

Thank you for all the support but I somehow managed to find the solution in the most unexpected way. TLDR F30 no work F32 do work.