Life after high-speed?

1cichfishy

For the last few years I've enjoyed a no-data cap high-speed internet set up that usually stayed around 25Mbps. But.........., now I'm moving to the mountains near Pigeon Forge, TN. It seems the only internet that I can receive( from 4 different vendors) is capped at 30Gb with 5Mbps downstream. Anyone have any ideas on how to get better service in the middle of nowhere(internet wise)? I game, stream vids, enjoy Voip and a lot of other things that would decimate my 30Gb in days.

satellite internet .....

bad latency but some offer uncapped internet at night

so download games at night  with that

and play games with your land line cable  (or what ever)

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Plant your own fibre ;)

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

For the last few years I've enjoyed a no-data cap high-speed internet set up that usually stayed around 25Mbps. But.........., now I'm moving to the mountains near Pigeon Forge, TN. It seems the only internet that I can receive( from 4 different vendors) is capped at 30Gb with 5Mbps downstream. Anyone have any ideas on how to get better service in the middle of nowhere(internet wise)? I game, stream vids, enjoy Voip and a lot of other things that would decimate my 30Gb in days.

What's the cost is you bust it ?

I got a friend who stayed on a capped plan just because there was a maximum overcharge. It was like 40$ or 50$... So it basically gave him an unlimited plan. 

What's the cost is you bust it ?

I got a friend who stayed on a capped plan just because there was a maximum overcharge. It was like 40$ or 50$... So it basically gave him an unlimited plan. 

The ISP did not cut him off or throttle him when he went over?

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Is there a town nearby? You could perhaps get a microwave link between your building and one that has a good ISP in its area? Microwave links are capable of up to 1gbps, but are effected by low clouds and rain. You would need to pay for both the microwave link and the ISPs fee though.

If you cant do that, then why not try getting a very directional antenna and pointing it at buildings with free wifi? You should be able to pick up wifi with a good antenna over 1.5 miles.

The ISP did not cut him off or throttle him when he went over?

Nope. 

He did it cause it was cheaper than get a plan with a higher data cap but didn't have the busting limit. Other plans were 1$ per exceeded GB, no limit. His was like 5$ per GB until he reach 50$. Weird.

I guess it's over now as they now offer a 10$ for unlimited option.

Sorry but you can't really do anything other than look for the best data plan you can find.

I use up 30GB in under an hour easy.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5