Is Using Old PSU Dangerous?

Pavendaxx

My current PC is using a PSU from the previous build. But so far so good, there are no overheating psu issues, no random blackout, no loud fan psu noises everything is good. But still its a 5 year old PSU, and I'm not sure if its safe to use an old PSU? I never put too much load on the psu, I dont do any overclocking and using more than its design capacity. 

PSU : Antec VP550p V2

3 minutes ago, Pavendaxx said:

My current PC is using a PSU from the previous build. But so far so good, there are no overheating psu issues, no random blackout, no loud fan psu noises everything is good. But still its a 5 year old PSU, and I'm not sure if its safe to use an old PSU? I never put too much load on the psu, I dont do any overclocking and using more than its design capacity. 

i gotta 12 year old PSU and haven't died. You're just fine.

1 minute ago, wat3rmelon_man2 said:

i gotta 12 year old PSU and haven't died. You're just fine.

Ok thx for the info

I wouldn't use an old PSU with new hardware, but pairing PSUs with hardware from the same era seems to work fine for me.

elephants

Honestly so long as it meets your power needs and has the connections needed (without having to use any adapter cables, though I currently have to use 1 adapter for my current system, I did so knowing the risks having been working on computers for.... well, i still remember 5 1/2 inch floppy's and green screens lol) should be fine. Most good PSU's have a 10 year warranty on them anyways. Older than 10 years could be an issue but under that, should still be fine.

1 hour ago, Pavendaxx said:

According to Antec's website, the vp550p v2's warranty lenght is 2 years only, which would indicate that this PSU was already mediocre 5 years ago.

One should never use a power supply for longer than what the manufacturer expects it to "statistically" survive, even when it's a high end unit, and you've been using it for more than twice the warranty lenght.

I would immediately replace it if I were you (if you tell us what you need to power and where you are buying from, we can help you find something that would fit your needs).