Migrating OS to a new HDD

Mr Velocity1577

Hi I'm planing on upgrading my OS HDD and I don't want to loose anything with a fresh install.

Is there any software that might help me?

My brother can clone a HDD to another but last time he did it for me I ended up getting a Upgraded OS from him. I have a lot of data and programs I would like to keep and not have to re-install.

AMD FX 6350 @4.3GHz | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Rev. 3.0 | 8GB Dual Channel @1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP | 2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition

CiT Vengeance x11 | 500GB Segate, 2TB WD Green, 2TB WD Red | OCZ ZT 650W | Akasa Venom Voodoo | Ozone 5.1 Strato Evolution

You could transfer your files to an external drive then wipe your HDD and install your programs when your done.

Using Tapatalk

So is this going to work ok? I'm going to copy OS so I have a backup until I know it works.

Has anyone done this type of move before and what did you do?

AMD FX 6350 @4.3GHz | Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 Rev. 3.0 | 8GB Dual Channel @1600MHz Corsair Vengeance LP | 2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition

CiT Vengeance x11 | 500GB Segate, 2TB WD Green, 2TB WD Red | OCZ ZT 650W | Akasa Venom Voodoo | Ozone 5.1 Strato Evolution

Well it's all gone tits up and I couldn't migrate the OS so I've had to do a fresh install which is a pain in the ass.

It wouldn't copy with a cloning rig. It wouldn't clone with hardware cloning machine. All because of some unreadable sectors.

It might be because the old HDD was a External USB 5400rpm drive fitted internally and the new one was 7200rpm and it was writing quicker than it could read. Who knows but it needs a fresh OS.