Changing SATA 3gb cable with 6gb cable

Vellaura

Hello all!

I had a very basic question, I was just wondering will there be any issues with simply changing a 3gb sata cable with a 6gb sata cable?

My MOBO (Asus rampage 3 formula) has 6 Grey sata ports (I think 3gb) and 2 Red sata ports (I think 6gb). I swapped out the 3gb cable with a 6gb cable in the red sata port. Do I need to do anything in BIOS, any further steps? Does it matter which red port I plugged it in? 1 of 2?

When I first booted I got a post and everything, then just as the windows logo came up to load my pc shutdown instantly.

Then when I booted it up the 2nd time it booted into windows all sweet as per usual, very strange. Would changing sata cables have anything to do with this?

The only other thing I did was clean up all the extra hard drive power cables I had, the cable that has 6 or so hardrive power plugs and replaced that with a cable that only has 2 power plugs, obviously because I wont be needing the other one since I only have 1 harddrive.

Thanks 🙂

no, just boot.

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

4 minutes ago, Adkatka said:

no, just boot.

okay sweet! Any idea why my pc shutdown the first time when windows logo came up?

8 minutes ago, Vellaura said:

Hello all!

I had a very basic question, I was just wondering will there be any issues with simply changing a 3gb sata cable with a 6gb sata cable?

My MOBO (Asus rampage 3 formula) has 6 Grey sata ports (I think 3gb) and 2 Red sata ports (I think 6gb). I swapped out the 3gb cable with a 6gb cable in the red sata port. Do I need to do anything in BIOS, any further steps? Does it matter which red port I plugged it in? 1 of 2?

When I first booted I got a post and everything, then just as the windows logo came up to load my pc shutdown instantly.

Then when I booted it up the 2nd time it booted into windows all sweet as per usual, very strange. Would changing sata cables have anything to do with this?

The only other thing I did was clean up all the extra hard drive power cables I had, the cable that has 6 or so hardrive power plugs and replaced that with a cable that only has 2 power plugs, obviously because I wont be needing the other one since I only have 1 harddrive.

Thanks 🙂

It shouldn't cause any issues in theory. Now if it was a bad cable, or you bumped something in the process, that might be the cause of that strange shutdown.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

It shouldn't cause any issues in theory. Now if it was a bad cable, or you bumped something in the process, that might be the cause of that strange shutdown.

It was a completely new sata cable, but I did move the harddrive power cables around. I'm fairly certain I made sure everything was plugged in correctly. Maybe it just needed to re-initialise the change in power cable or something, after all I've had the same power cable plugged in for the past 10 years so it probably was like "WOAH WTF IS THIS...oh its another power cable, sorry, freaked out, yh just boot me up again, we sweet" lmao.