CPU running hotter and no longer stable after bios update.

Go to solution Solved by TheNerdyCanadian,

FINAL Update: ASUS ended up closing all 3 tickets basically saying I was on my own so I bought a new motherboard. It's an MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk and it's honestly worth the $320 I paid, I can run my same OC at lower voltage so I ended up running it faster on the same voltage, and my memory even can run faster, somehow my 2400 sticks have an XMP of 2933 that the ASUS board didn't see?

I've been running the same bios since 2019 and decided to check for updates and saw there was some stability improvements made according to Asus' website. Ever since updating my PC has been running hotter and no longer stable at my previous OC. No matter what try it doesn't run well. The previous bios version was 5204, current is the latest non beta 5809. Before updating I was running 4Ghz@1.318V and temps were around 35 on idle and 50 in game with a max of 68 if I ran something really CPU intensive. Now the temps have gone up to idling around 45-50 and games running high 60's and occasioning hitting 70's. Also now my same OC isn't stable below 1.36V and even dropping to 3.6Ghz needs 1.3V or more to be stable...any ideas other than reverting back to the old bios would be great. Thanks.

Specs:

Windows 10 20H2

Ryzen 7 2700 w/240 AIO

ASUS Prime X470 PRO

32GB ram, 2400mhz

EVGA 2070 Black

Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

OC settings:

Voltage 1.318 old, 1.36 now (Offset not manual)

power phase for CPU and SOC on optimized, extreme didn't help stability

Load line Level 4, level 5 just made it hotter and no improved stability

CPU Current capability 140%

SOC Load line auto

SOC Current capability 110%

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

6 minutes ago, TheNerdyCanadian said:

I've been running the same bios since 2019 and decided to check for updates and saw there was some stability improvements made according to Asus' website. Ever since updating my PC has been running hotter and no longer stable at my previous OC. No matter what try it doesn't run well. The previous bios version was 5204, current is the latest non beta 5809. Before updating I was running 4Ghz@1.318V and temps were around 35 on idle and 50 in game with a max of 68 if I ran something really CPU intensive. Now the temps have gone up to idling around 45-50 and games running high 60's and occasioning hitting 70's. Also now my same OC isn't stable below 1.36V and even dropping to 3.6Ghz needs 1.3V or more to be stable...any ideas other than reverting back to the old bios would be great. Thanks.

Specs:

Windows 10 20H2

Ryzen 7 2700 w/240 AIO

ASUS Prime X470 PRO

32GB ram, 2400mhz

EVGA 2070 Black

Seasonic 750W Gold PSU

OC settings:

Voltage 1.318 old, 1.36 now (Offset not manual)

power phase for CPU and SOC on optimized, extreme didn't help stability

Load line Level 4, level 5 just made it hotter and no improved stability

CPU Current capability 140%

SOC Load line auto

SOC Current capability 110%

Not that it's going to help you really but I experienced the same with my ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming. 

I'd like to know aswell why this happens. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

19 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Not that it's going to help you really but I experienced the same with my ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming. 

I'd like to know aswell why this happens. 

the worst part about this is my PC is in my finished basement with an ambient temp of 18* and I just reapplied thermal paste a few months ago going from the supplied cooler master stuff to Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut so conditions couldn't be better

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

If you are running the XMP profile, double check the CPU SOC voltage. If it's higher than 1.08v, then lower it. If is set at 1.08v, you can try and lower it some anyways. 

I did not experience this with my board which is a different model. So it's tuff to say, but for reference, mine was 4100mhz at 4.100v. 4000mhz at 1.38v (on all bios revisions I had used)

Funny enough, testing the Cpu at the max P-state of 3.7ghz (base clocks) and v-core of 1.212v.... was not stable. On any bios revision. I've not found a reason why, the v-core is too low for the manual overclock I suppose. LLC 4. 

It's a hot chip though. 105w is an understatement for it's boost clocks (or manual OC), but actually at it's max P-state and 1.225v, it will hit this 105w on the mark. (give or take 5%)

TLDR, your chip looks normal from my seat. Maybe clean the cooler, adjust case fans (assuming fan profiles reset after the bios flash) ect ect... 

33 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you are running the XMP profile, double check the CPU SOC voltage. If it's higher than 1.08v, then lower it. If is set at 1.08v, you can try and lower it some anyways. 

I did not experience this with my board which is a different model. So it's tuff to say, but for reference, mine was 4100mhz at 4.100v. 4000mhz at 1.38v (on all bios revisions I had used)

Funny enough, testing the Cpu at the max P-state of 3.7ghz (base clocks) and v-core of 1.212v.... was not stable. On any bios revision. I've not found a reason why, the v-core is too low for the manual overclock I suppose. LLC 4. 

It's a hot chip though. 105w is an understatement for it's boost clocks (or manual OC), but actually at it's max P-state and 1.225v, it will hit this 105w on the mark. (give or take 5%)

TLDR, your chip looks normal from my seat. Maybe clean the cooler, adjust case fans (assuming fan profiles reset after the bios flash) ect ect... 

soc is running 0.89v according to AI suite, ive decided to run stock to see and it idles around 29C, but i just had a possible CPU meltdown as the bios decided it would be a great idea to stop all fans including the CPU and aio pump while playing a game causing my CPU to run 102C so now i'm on the phone with ASUS support to figure out wtf is going on...

1 hour ago, TheNerdyCanadian said:

soc is running 0.89v according to AI suite, ive decided to run stock to see and it idles around 29C, but i just had a possible CPU meltdown as the bios decided it would be a great idea to stop all fans including the CPU and aio pump while playing a game causing my CPU to run 102C so now i'm on the phone with ASUS support to figure out wtf is going on...

Yeah, that's not normal. 

You could always try and flash the older bios back on the board...

3 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Yeah, that's not normal. 

You could always try and flash the older bios back on the board...

unfortunately I already tried that and got "specified file is not a valid bios" so most likely seeing as the newest bios supports 3000 and up I can't drop down to one that doesn't...

Update: Asus told me to flash the latest beta bios. Unsurprisingly there has been no real improvement. I reported back the issue with the fans and the response was "it's normal for GPU fans to run at low speeds or shut off if the temps are ok...WHAT? I never once mentioned to them anything about my EVGA gpu...this has been entirely a case fan/cooler issue...AI Suite doesn't even touch the GPU. If anything the fan side of things is worse...the fan control is literally inverted. if i set AI Suite to the full speed setting it fully shuts all fans off including the CPU cooler. luckily i have the AIO header control disabled so there is still fluid flowing and it isn't controlled within AI Suite anyways but this is a major oversight on their part. If i didn't know what i was doing could cost me over $500 to replace dead parts from thermals going nuclear... attached is a screen recording of what is happening that i sent them. hopefully one of the techs over there knows what the hell is going on otherwise i'm buying a new mobo from a different brand and not using ASUS again...

447633984_2021-01-2423-16-13.mkv

Update: ASUS tech support is useless, i was informed i should use windows power management troubleshooter to fix my fan issue (How?) and that if that doesn't solve the issue to flash back to the original 5204 bios i was running before updating...(the one i told them i couldn't flash back to because the bios wouldn't let me)... i have since troubleshooted the fan issue myself for hours and found that the issue has been entirely AI Suite 3 and have uninstalled it and all my issues are gone other than stability. I am hoping they respond to my most recent email with some sort of solution as there is no reason the consumer should be better at this than the trained tech support people working for the company...

• 1 month later...

FINAL Update: ASUS ended up closing all 3 tickets basically saying I was on my own so I bought a new motherboard. It's an MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk and it's honestly worth the $320 I paid, I can run my same OC at lower voltage so I ended up running it faster on the same voltage, and my memory even can run faster, somehow my 2400 sticks have an XMP of 2933 that the ASUS board didn't see?

• 1 year later...

Had Exactly the same issue today. I have an ROZ STRIX X570-E Gaming, had the 2019 Bios, flashed the 2021 Bios a few hours ago.

I've got a 5900X and have not had the need to oveclock it, so it's running standard.

I have 2 x 32 GB RAM Kits (GSkill Trident Z's F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC), and the only way I could get the DOCP profile stable was by increasing the DRAM socket voltage from 1.35, to 1.36 on the Motherboard, but had that running without any higher temps on the 2019 bios.

Other than that, stock standard.

Now I do run a dual custom water loop with 2 x 480 ML Radiators, 16 SP Fans in a push/pull config, in 2 separate loops (GPU + CPU), all controlled using an Aquero 6.

Loop 1 had the CPU, VRM and Aquero Cooled, Loop 2 has the GPU's cooled.

Funny thing is, straight after boot (the 35 Seconds after power on, till opening up Aquasuite in windows) CPU temp sits at around 70Deg C, until Aquero kicks in & honors the fan Curves. For those 35 seconds, my machine sounds like a leaf blower (which it never did before), but as soon as windows have loaded and aquacomputer service starts the CPU temp drops like someone is paying it to and settles to 10 Degrees above abient.

I've used CPUZ, to "stress the CPU" and it the hottest it gets is about 30 Degrees above ambient, with all cores boosting up to about 4300Mhz. CPUZ stabalizes at a score of 9160, for all threads, hwinfo64 shows no thermal throttling.

So it seems like something in the BIOS, after the machine is powered on, heats the shit out of the CPU, and as soon as the OS loads, it goes down to normal.

I would imagine anyone who does not have a water cooled system, or who does not have the termal mass of a custom loop, would struggle to cool it down.

ASUS, wtf did you do?

Attached is a snip from just after the PC started, and then another whilst running the stress test.

CPU is hotter during the startup, than after the stress test.

Probably because aquasuite takes a while to start after windows login, point is that CPU used to be "cool" before the Aquasuite started, and now its bloody hot 70 degrees, just after startup. (Screenshot shows 65 Deg C, but thats how quickly the temp drops in the 2 seconds it takes me to open snipping tool and take the srceenshot).

Just after startup.PNG

Stress test.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

Got the same problem today with a PRIME B450M-A II, some info I can add are that in BIOS, CPU reaches 90°, while in windows/linux can go down to 50°, that's still a lot higher than with previous bios. I tried downgrading to the one that was working normally, but it didn't change anything, tried also to reset bios, but still nothing. No overclock or any other substantial change, just a new fan.

Any help would be apreciated.