Custom build, previously working. No BIOS, no POST.

garlicc7

Hi LTT forums!

I'll get straight to the point: I have a custom build (late 2017 components) that has treated me well for years. Like a potato, I decided to use a regular vacuum cleaner on its insides. (NEVER do this.) Now it won't give me anything at all. I'm pretty sure I fried something, but I'm not sure what it is/how much of the build I can salvage. 

How it stands:

• upon PSU power switch on, I hear a click and PSU seems to be doing its job. I get a GPU power light when I have that installed as well as motherboard power lights and RGB.
  • I've uninstalled all components/peripherals down to 1-2 DIMMS, CPU, mobo, SSDs, and case fans. Mobo is still in case.
  • After clicking the power button, case fans spin up, but I'm seeing no further signs of life. No BIOS, no POST lights coming on, no USB power. 
  • I've checked the display I'm using and it works.
  • I've reset the CMOS (by uninstalling/reinstalling the coin battery) multiple times. 
  • I don't have a case-mounted beeper speaker, but I tried to make one myself and connect it to the mobo external speaker header. It didn't do anything, which could be a speaker problem, a me problem, or a mobo problem. One should be coming in via Amazon in the next couple of days.
  • When I was vacuuming the components, I might have touched the GPU with the thing. I found a couple of dark spots on the PCB which could indicate static damage. Am happy to send pics of this if needed. (Static is not my field of expertise and I would love advice on what symptoms would be normal in this case.)

Specifications

CPU: Intel i7-7700k

Mobo: ASUS STRIX z270e

GPU: ASUS GTX 1060-6GB

PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G2 (Gold-rated)

SSDs: Samsung 960/970 Pro M.2

Case: Corsair (i'm not sure, but it's pretty generic)

Thanks so much for any help!

Charlie

Try testing using the i7-7700k integrated graphics by plugging the monitor into the motherboard. See if you get to bios from there

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

Thanks @cm992! That's what I've tried - no BIOS with or without the GPU. Going straight into the mobo's I/O panel for integrated graphics doesn't work.

Another unrelated note - the USB-C port does seem to have power, but none of the other USB ports do. Weird.