3000Mhz RAM only runs at 1800 - XMP Does not work, nor does BIOS overclocking.

Go to solution Solved by icy3309,

SOLVED - Thanks for your help!

UPDATE:

I have managed to get all 4 Sticks to 2143 Mhz. 

I am pretty happy, and will try to fine tune everything to see how far I can go with it. I  jut changed the voltage in the BIOS to 3.5 and manually set the multiplier to 12.33. I hope this will be stable in games and stuff. 

UPDATE: 

reached 2676 Mhz

UPDATE: 

Went full sicko mode and tried 3000Mhz. Works fine (still)

I will do some testing and see if its stable under load. 

Thank you all so much for helping me with this! I really thought my motherboard was broken.

This community is amazing!

Could someone tell me if the different RAM kits I have used will cause any trouble in performance? There are only slight differences (I posted the pictures of the SPD Info but here they are again: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Ar7q1-YfoEfoadRqRmsVA4SlEdo0u5r?usp=sharing )

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

What freeagent said, try to set everything manually, stock clocks and timings first then you try XMP values.

Oh, and you might want to disable pics geotagging on your iphone. Leaks too much info.

uh oh now you know who i am huh - anyways, i will try putting in the stock stuff manually ill see if i get at least 2133 on all 4 sticks

35 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

same model of kits is not the same kit. 2 2x8gb kit is not the same as a 4x8gb kit, they do not take your case as valid RMA reason.

Thing is, even seperated (only one kit inside at a time) overclocking and xmp dont work. 

35 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

The Integrated Memory Controller (IMC) on Ryzen 2000-series is not a robust compared to Ryzen 3000-series and 5000-series CPUs.

That and running 4-sticks of DRAM is also more taxing on the IMC than 2-sticks.

To start, I would not worry about XMP / DDR4-3000 right now.

You are jumping onto to Step #3 when you haven't even completed Step #1.

Get JEDEC DDR4-2133 working first on all 4-sticks of memory.

Alright will try this now. Mybe it really is the CPU or i have lost in the silicone lottery

1 minute ago, icy3309 said:

Thing is, even seperated (only one kit inside at a time) overclocking and xmp dont work. 

Do you know for a fact you are trying them in pairs from one kit? Is there a chance they got mixed up? I'd be trying 1 stick at a time at this point.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

6 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Put two sticks from the same purchase together.

I tried, doesnt change anything. The only thing that changed with was that when I used both kits seperately, I would at least get 2133Mhz

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

Do you know for a fact you are trying them in pairs from one kit? Is there a chance they got mixed up? I'd be trying 1 stick at a time at this point.

I am 100% sure, they just got delivered today and i put them in straight out of the box.

7 minutes ago, freeagent said:

That board would be a frisbee to me 🙂

It would be to me too if it wanst that expensive 😞

2 minutes ago, icy3309 said:

I am 100% sure, they just got delivered today and i put them in straight out of the box.

And you're using them in sockets A2 and B2? |r|r is how your DIMMs should look. | is blank, r is ram.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, Voluspa said:

And you're using them in sockets A2 and B2? |r|r is how your DIMMs should look. | is blank, r is ram.

Yup, right now I am using all four tho. But I know about Dual Channel. It has to be something about the Board or the Bios, I am not the only one experiencing this with Gigabytes Boards. Maybe they will update the BIOS and it will work then 

Go to the bios. Find the SPD and take a picture please. Select each stick and pic each profile.

Then go to the memory settings in bios and take a pic of that as well. With a please even.

We cant see what you see, so this could be helpful.

Lets try something different. You said that you have tried to manually set the clocks but nothing changes. Have you tried to manually set another setting and see if it will get applied? A good example for an easy setting like this would be to change the NUMLOCK state to on from off or vice versa. If your board isn't saving any settings then the board is the problem. 

Another thing which I find extremely strange is that the memory is defaulting to 1800MHz. It's not that this can't happen, rather it shouldn't happen as the lowest JEDEC spec of DDR4 is 2133MHz and it should be defaulting to that when first plugged in so there is obviously something that is quite wrong. If the the board is not saving any settings, I would suggest going back one BIOS revision, considering that you truly are on the latest version. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Go to the bios. Find the SPD and take a picture please. Select each stick and pic each profile.

Then go to the memory settings in bios and take a pic of that as well. With a please even.

Will do that right now, brb

5 minutes ago, Analog said:

Lets try something different. You said that you have tried to manually set the clocks but nothing changes. Have you tried to manually set another setting and see if it will get applied? A good example for an easy setting like this would be to change the NUMLOCK state to on from off or vice versa. If your board isn't saving any settings then the board is the problem. 

Another thing which I find extremely strange is that the memory is defaulting to 1800MHz. It's not that this can't happen, rather it shouldn't happen as the lowest JEDEC spec of DDR4 is 2133MHz and it should be defaulting to that when first plugged in so there is obviously something that is quite wrong. If the the board is not saving any settings, I would suggest going back one BIOS revision, considering that you truly are on the latest version. 

Jedec standard starts at 1600mhz, then 1866mhz then 2133mhz, which 2133mhz is where most boards are set. 

But definitely 2133 is not the lowest Jedec speed. 

4 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Jedec standard starts at 1600mhz, then 1866mhz then 2133mhz, which 2133mhz is where most boards are set. 

But definitely 2133 is not the lowest Jedec speed. 

I am referring to consumer hardware here. Have you seen a normal kit stating speeds lower than 2133MHz or a motherboard that advertises speeds below it. I guess not. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

1 minute ago, Analog said:

I am referring to consumer hardware here. Have you seen a normal kit stating speeds lower than 2133MHz or a motherboard that advertises speeds below it. I guess not. 

Guessing I can see you are good at.

I obviously out right stated most boards are default to 2133 as well.

But if one would pay attention...

His bus clocks are 100.54 which has the memory reading 1875mhz vs 1867 which would be 100mhz even bus clocks.

Generally spread spectrum cause the drop below 100mhz we so often see.

But alas, I digress. You may continue helping and I'll take my knowledge and step out for you.

14 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Alright. I have found out a lot, first of all, the second "identical kit" I purchased is not identical. Which explains the low Mhz of 4x8gb I guess. It still does not explain why just two sticks dont go to 3000mhz or anything I tell them to do. Basically, my problems just doubled. Just take a look at the pictures and tell me if the differences in the RAM matter a lot. 

heres the screenshots: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Ar7q1-YfoEfoadRqRmsVA4SlEdo0u5r?usp=sharing

32 minutes ago, Analog said:

All the numbers I type in are being saved and I can still see them after a restart. They just dont get applied.

SOLVED - Thanks for your help!

UPDATE:

I am pretty happy, and will try to fine tune everything to see how far I can go with it. I  jut changed the voltage in the BIOS to 3.5 and manually set the multiplier to 12.33. I hope this will be stable in games and stuff. 

UPDATE: 

reached 2676 Mhz

UPDATE: 

Thank you all so much for helping me with this! I really thought my motherboard was broken.

This community is amazing!

Could someone tell me if the different RAM kits I have used will cause any trouble in performance? There are only slight differences (I posted the pictures of the SPD Info but here they are again: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-Ar7q1-YfoEfoadRqRmsVA4SlEdo0u5r?usp=sharing )

27 minutes ago, icy3309 said:

UPDATE:

UPDATE: 

reached 2676 Mhz

UPDATE: 

Good to hear you've gotten onto the right track. 

Underlined response.

You won't suffer performance from 2 different kits so long they run together with stability at any given speed.

If 3000mhz isn't stable, try 2933mhz the memory controller supported speed. 

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Good to hear you've gotten onto the right track. 

Underlined response.

You won't suffer performance from 2 different kits so long they run together with stability at any given speed.

If 3000mhz isn't stable, try 2933mhz the memory controller supported speed. 

Thanks so much for the help. I think it is working just fine now!

Just now, icy3309 said:

Thanks so much for the help. I think it is working just fine now!

You're welcome!

My next question was going to be how you where setting up the memory, that's why I had asked for some pictures instead. 

So from your pictures, you can noticed One set is double sided and the other is single sided. That's Single Rank and Dual rank and probably the number one giving issue here.

But hey! If you got em' goin', then F'N'A!! That doesn't happen often, so pat yourself on the back here. You did all the leg work 🙂

One last thing.

The way you increased the frequency of the memory incrementally is called memory training. Some boards are equipped with a memory training program built in, I think ROG boards are well known for that. I personally like doing it manually.

For example, Not even my good 3600mhz B-Die kit posts XMP with my 2700X. I have to approach the overclock in the exact same fashion as you, just at a higher frequency. In the end, best was tested stable at 3733mhz with XMP timings.