Need advise for adding new GPU

sleepy_hollow
Go to solution Solved by TheNinjaNextDor,

ah i see it then, now it's clear, thanks for the explanation by the way

i just barely forget this, may be on benchmark it'll turn on high but not on game, it just barely least than 10 fps :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

okay then, i'll just stick on GTX 770 but still not sure which brand, say :

1. gigabyte has 3 fan coolers with non reference PCB to fit it ultra durable concept

2. MSI gaming has a match aesthetic with my motherboard but it has reference PCB yet it military class 4

3. sapphire r9 280x toxic, it has OC VRAM clock to 6400 MHz, 3 fan cooler and have wider memory bus. butnot sure for it's durability

yet i'm still looking for other option may occur such as from xfx, inno 3d, palit or others

The Gigabyte card sounds best for you.

hi guys, as what title says, i need advise for adding new gpu on my rig for running latest game on max setting at 1080p, at least on high - ultra (for now my rig running with intel hd 4600)

and i want to upgrade my ssd too if it possible and there are any budget left

i got 400$ - 430$ for budget

so here my option :

1. GTX 770 2GB and upgrade SSD later

2. GTX 760 2GB + 120GB Samsung 840 Evo

please help me to decide which one should i choose, or if you guys have another possible option feel free to tell me

i didn't include amd on option because i lack experience with it, but if you guys may have suggestion about it please tell me too

Note :

1. please do not suggest ASUS since it overpriced here, and EVGA because none sell it here

2. i prefer for durabilty and silent cooler from it (yet powerfull enough)

3. and one more thing, my rig is covered in prodigy-m so maybe card size will matter too

here my rig specification for reference :

- intel core i5 4670k @4.2GHz

- MSI Z87M Gaming

- 2x4GB patriot viper 3 @2133MHz

- Intel SSD 330 60GB + 1TB WDC Black

- Corsair RM 550

- Cooler Master Nepton 140XL

- BitFenix Prodigy-M

-thanks-

CPU i5 4670k @4.5GHz | Motherboard MSI Z87M Gaming | RAM 2x4GB Patriot Viper 3 | GPU MSI GTX 760 Hawk | CPU Cooler CM Nepton 140XL | PSU Corsair RM550 | Case BitFenix Prodigy M

newest game on 1080 on MAX.. you gonna need a 780Ti to get 50-70fps in the games :)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

newest game on 1080 on MAX.. you gonna need a 780Ti to get 50-70fps in the games :)

omg, my expectation blew me off

well maybe i'll down it a little to high - ultra then :D

CPU i5 4670k @4.5GHz | Motherboard MSI Z87M Gaming | RAM 2x4GB Patriot Viper 3 | GPU MSI GTX 760 Hawk | CPU Cooler CM Nepton 140XL | PSU Corsair RM550 | Case BitFenix Prodigy M

on high either of those should do great, im not pro enough to know which one of them is most fps for the $ tho :(

on high either of those should do great, im not pro enough to know which one of them is most fps for the $ tho :(

well same with me :D

I would go GTX 770... Unless you got problems with loading screens.

i have no problem with it since i run my game on WDC now, but it took more space than an SSD so i can place less fan since nepton is massive on my case

and what brand you guys suggest? should i take MSI gaming? Gigabyte Windforce? or somethingelse?

You're kidding right? I can do that with my 760's you don't need a 780 Ti for 1080p.

@OP a 770 won't do max but it will do very well, though it would be better if you could get a 780 if you absolutely HAVE to max the games(though there's little point in it)

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

You're kidding right? I can do that with my 760's you don't need a 780 Ti for 1080p.

@OP a 770 won't do max but it will do very well, though it would be better if you could get a 780 if you absolutely HAVE to max the games(though there's little point in it)

i watched some benchmarks this morning on the 780ti and sure it did max settings and it got 50-70 avg fps in the games, which is great, a 760 can do it aswell, but the fps will drop to avg 30-40, if thats ok then fine :)

omg, my expectation blew me off

well maybe i'll down it a little to high - ultra then :D

You don't need a 780Ti to max out Battlefield 4 on ultra for example. lawl

really?? does 4GB will make noticable different?

i watched some benchmarks this morning on the 780ti and sure it did max settings and it got 50-70 avg fps in the games, which is great, a 760 can do it aswell, but the fps will drop to avg 30-40, if thats ok then fine :)

i see those on BF4 for especially, but not for others

You don't need a 780Ti to max out Battlefield 4 on ultra for example. lawl

never play it before, but i will play it after have one :)

Get the 770. Is the 280x cheaper?

yeah some of it cheaper here, see the MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming OC and Sapphire R9 280X Toxic have almost same price here

but since incoming directx12 and mantle, i didn't have clear choice which should i pick

i watched some benchmarks this morning on the 780ti and sure it did max settings and it got 50-70 a. fps in the games, which is great, a 760 can do it aswell, but the fps will drop to avg 30-40, if thats ok then fine :)

What benchmarks are you watching.

A 760 can chew through games at ultra at 1080p and maintain 60+ fps

Id recommend going with the 770 for a bit more performance. An ssd will provide speed but you won't see any FPS increase from having one.

Also at 1080p the extra memory won't matter that much unless you plan on doing some video editing or rendering.

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

really?? does 4GB will make noticable different?

It's not the VRAM that enables them to do it, 2GB is still plenty for 1080p it's their outright performance, seriously you do not need a 780Ti to play 1080p and you should slap anyone that tells you otherwise if you're able to.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I cant be sure just how good the benchmarks was, but for example the 780Ti @ 1080p in Metro Last light got AVG 50.26 fps and 33.39 at 1440p

Bioshock infinite, 85.6 fps at 1080p

Crysis 3 40.3 fps at 1080p

Link to Tek Syndicate's video http://youtu.be/gCZPx5Kgwi0

Btw, Max settings i see as 1080p everything on max at 60+ fps avg

What benchmarks are you watching.

A 760 can chew through games at ultra at 1080p and maintain 60+ fps

Id recommend going with the 770 for a bit more performance. An ssd will provide speed but you won't see any FPS increase from having one.

Also at 1080p the extra memory won't matter that much unless you plan on doing some video editing or rendering.

does 770 will perform better on high AA setting than 760? does it significant?

for now, my interest will stay on gaming :)

It's not the VRAM that enables them to do it, 2GB is still plenty for 1080p it's their outright performance, seriously you do not need a 780Ti to play 1080p and you should slap anyone that tells you otherwise if you're able to.

yeah, 780 or 780 ti is an overkill may be, but i won't slap other people that say opposite since i knew which is the right one now :D

just cuirous what VRAM will do on high AA setting, i had 660 ti before and it have some drop fps on high AA setting in Metro : Last Light

I cant be sure just how good the benchmarks was, but for example the 780Ti @ 1080p in Metro Last light got AVG 50.26 fps and 33.39 at 1440p

Bioshock infinite, 85.6 fps at 1080p

Crysis 3 40.3 fps at 1080p

Link to Tek Syndicate's video http://youtu.be/gCZPx5Kgwi0

Btw, Max settings i see as 1080p everything on max at 60+ fps avg

just for information, i got max setting before using 660 ti and i5 3570 @4GHz on 45-65 fps on Bioshock and 30 - 50 fps on Crysis 3, both on 1080p

yet on Metro i must turn AA setting to 2x then i got playable fps (30 - 60 if i remember correctly)

yeah some of it cheaper here, see the MSI GTX 770 2GB Gaming OC and Sapphire R9 280X Toxic have almost same price here

but since incoming directx12 and mantle, i didn't have clear choice which should i pick

That is really hard actually...

I would get the MSI 770.

That is really hard actually...

I would get the MSI 770.

surely hard dude, since Gigabyte and Sapphire Toxic R9 280x will outperform it obviously. if there are any EVGA reseller here i'll have a clear winner since i love it

but the aesthetic will go on MSI, because my motherboard is MSI too :D

yeah, 780 or 780 ti is an overkill may be, but i won't slap other people that say opposite since i knew which is the right one now :D

just cuirous what VRAM will do on high AA setting, i had 660 ti before and it have some drop fps on high AA setting in Metro : Last Light

I had two 660 Ti's before I was upgraded by EVGA, it wasn't a VRAM limitation (at least for me) Metro LL is just a tall order for a single 660 Ti. Which is to be expected of a mid range GPU, it can handle it but some things (primarily AA/AF) need to be lowered to maintain the desired framerate.

surely hard dude, since Gigabyte and Sapphire Toxic R9 280x will outperform it obviously. if there are any EVGA reseller here i'll have a clear winner since i love it

but the aesthetic will go on MSI, because my motherboard is MSI too :D

Yeah. Remember that the performance difference is very very slim.

I had two 660 Ti's before I was upgraded by EVGA, it wasn't a VRAM limitation (at least for me) Metro LL is just a tall order for a single 660 Ti. Which is to be expected of a mid range GPU, it can handle it but some things (primarily AA/AF) need to be lowered to maintain the desired framerate.

Yeah. Remember that the performance difference is very very slim.

i  just barely forget this, may be on benchmark it'll turn on high but not on game, it just barely least than 10 fps :D

1. gigabyte has 3 fan coolers with non reference PCB to fit it ultra durable concept

2. MSI gaming has a match aesthetic with my motherboard but it has reference PCB yet it military class 4

3. sapphire r9 280x toxic, it has OC VRAM clock to 6400 MHz, 3 fan cooler and have wider memory bus. butnot sure for it's durability

yet i'm still looking for other option may occur such as from xfx, inno 3d, palit or others

i just barely forget this, may be on benchmark it'll turn on high but not on game, it just barely least than 10 fps :D

okay then, i'll go on Gigabyte by end of this month. and if it won't possible i'll go on MSI since USD price isn't stable for now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thank for all your post guys, it's very nice to hear your toughts

I would suggest waiting until you find a R9 290 for $400. It would be your best bet for $400. 

PC Build

AMD FX 4130@3.8GHz | Sapphire Radeon HD R9 290@947 MHz | 8GB of DDR3 1333MHz RAM | 500GB Seagate HDD | [broken] Cooler Master i600 PSU | Some LG Disk Drive that costed me $20|

I would suggest waiting until you find a R9 290 for $400. It would be your best bet for $400. 

actually there are r9 290 priced on $450 - $480 but it reference, and i need to add some aftermarket cooler to run it safely and quietly