Cyclic Redundancy Checking error when running Clean All command in DiskPart

Chiyawa

Hi,

I have an old SAS HDD with 2TB of storage (probably from the year 2014) and I'm thinking of giving to my friend since he wants it (and yeah, he also has SAS interface). So, before giving him, I thought of wiping all the data (low level format in other terms) so the HDD was like brand new from the box. However, while running Clean All command in DiskPart, it manage to clean the disk quite well until almost the end, where it'll failed with Cyclic Redundancy Checking error.

Is the drive dead (or potentially dying)? It's strange that quick format doesn't trigger anything, and I did copy files back and forth and it works perfectly fine. Could it be there's bad sector?

Please note that this is an SAS drive and I'm using Dell PERC H310 PCIe AIC in normal PC system running AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard. I couldn't get Crystal Disk Info to read the HDD SMART status.

Regards,

Chiyawa

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

6 minutes ago, Chiyawa said:

Hi,

I have an old SAS HDD with 2TB of storage (probably from the year 2014) and I'm thinking of giving to my friend since he wants it (and yeah, he also has SAS interface). So, before giving him, I thought of wiping all the data (low level format in other terms) so the HDD was like brand new from the box. However, while running Clean All command in DiskPart, it manage to clean the disk quite well until almost the end, where it'll failed with Cyclic Redundancy Checking error.

Is the drive dead (or potentially dying)? It's strange that quick format doesn't trigger anything, and I did copy files back and forth and it works perfectly fine. Could it be there's bad sector?

Please note that this is an SAS drive and I'm using Dell PERC H310 PCIe AIC in normal PC system running AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WiFi motherboard. I couldn't get Crystal Disk Info to read the HDD SMART status.

Regards,

Chiyawa

Have you checked to see if there are manufacturers testing tools available? I know for example Seagate have SeaTools, whether the tools work on SAS drives I am unsure. Or you could try HD Sentinal (trial should allow testing) or HD Tune.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those CLC errors noramlly mean you have a bad cable, not drive. Try a different sas cable if you have one.

I see. The cable seems fine, but I'll give it a check.

I did check the cable and it seems fine. The diskpart can clean almost entire drive (up to 1.7TB) before it throw this error (and it took almost 6 hours. Not sure why but the drive maximum write speed is around 76MB/s).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

1 minute ago, DigitalGoat said:

Have you checked to see if there are manufacturers testing tools available? I know for example Seagate have SeaTools, whether the tools work on SAS drives I am unsure. Or you could try HD Sentinal (trial should allow testing) or HD Tune.

I see. Okay, may give it a shot.

I see. Thanks for your info.

I think my HDD is not working correctly, might have a bad spot that couldn't be repaired. Anyway, the reason I changed out this HDD last time is because it failed a RAID (thank goodness it was in RAID 1). Well, guess I should inform my friend that this HDD is not working properly.

As for ChkDsk, yeah, you need to format the HDD first before doing so. I'm trying to wipe the disk clean using diskpart command: clean all. This process remove all partition from HDD, render chkdsk unusable.

SFC scannow pass. So Windows files is working fine.

I'm not going to use data recovery tool in this case. I'm trying to wipe my disk clean before giving to other people (which in this case, my friend).

Edited by Spotty