Upgrading my pc for Uni

Budget (including currency): ~£250 gbp

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: cad modeling and simulation

Current rig:

• Ryzen 5 2600 oc'ed to 4.2
  • asrock b450 steel legend
  • Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 2666 cl16 32GB oc'ed to 3200 cl15
  • GTX 970 strix
  • SSD storage
  • Corsair CM450 
  • Corsair 220T

I'm hopfuly starting my areospace engineering course at UWE in september, and one of the year one modules is cad and simulations. I'm assuming I'll have access to Uni tech but I would like to be able to do it on my own pc as well. I dont know what software they are using, but at a guess id say its probably solidworks. At the moment, I should have around £250 in hand, however as I upgrade I intend to sell my old parts on, so I could probably get another 100 each for gpu/cpu. If I sell my CPU and add that money to the pile, I would be looking at around ~350, which raises the question of what would bring me the most benifit, a ryzen 7 3700x or a ryzen 5 5600x as they are both similar prices, or would I be better getting a ryzen 7 2800x second hand and saving money for a better gpu? I was looking at maybe asking for a 3060ti for my upcoming birthday, but would the larger vram of the regular 3060 give me more benifits over the faster cores?

Finally, if anyone out here using solid works could tell me if my cpu is actually fine and I only need a GPU or vise versa.

Any help is appricated and I'm trying to keep the budget low

The system is fine for the work you will do the first couple of years. Save the money.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

8 hours ago, brob said:

The system is fine for the work you will do the first couple of years. Save the money.

I get that but I also want to upgrade

You can look at the requirements of your Uni and go from there.