3700x voltage

Weric

Evening folks. So I just threw a 3700x in my daughters system, updated bios, installed chipset, updated all the drivers, fresh windows install blah blah. So, her average temps are fine, when gaming she's not breaking 55 degree's(was doing metro last light maxed out with PhysX on to mess around). Doesn't even hover around 55. However when she's playing Roblox there are spikes, and the highest its gotten(I haven't had Hwinfo open during this time, just seeing the max temp in MSI afterburner), is 70c. Now I've thrown cinebench on and that'll get it to 67-70, never goes over 70c. But when I'm looking at the stock MAX voltages, its hitting 1.48, 1.49. I've turned off precision overdrive, turned ON eco mode, the offset voltage setting is weird in the asrock board, instead of being able to set 0.5, it'll default to 6.xxx, then 12.xxxx in thge negatives, and even then if I set those settings it'll still hit 1.48.

I know hitting 70c here and there MAX isn't a problem, its normal, especially when her every day average temps are fine. But any suggestions? I'd rather the core voltage not cap out at 1.48, but I don't wanna set a static voltage either. I could use the ryzen master crap I guess? But you have to load a profile every time you get on the PC.

Or should I just not worry and leave it alone

13 minutes ago, Weric said:

Evening folks. So I just threw a 3700x in my daughters system, updated bios, installed chipset, updated all the drivers, fresh windows install blah blah. So, her average temps are fine, when gaming she's not breaking 55 degree's(was doing metro last light maxed out with PhysX on to mess around). Doesn't even hover around 55. However when she's playing Roblox there are spikes, and the highest its gotten(I haven't had Hwinfo open during this time, just seeing the max temp in MSI afterburner), is 70c. Now I've thrown cinebench on and that'll get it to 67-70, never goes over 70c. But when I'm looking at the stock MAX voltages, its hitting 1.48, 1.49. I've turned off precision overdrive, turned ON eco mode, the offset voltage setting is weird in the asrock board, instead of being able to set 0.5, it'll default to 6.xxx, then 12.xxxx in thge negatives, and even then if I set those settings it'll still hit 1.48.

I know hitting 70c here and there MAX isn't a problem, its normal, especially when her every day average temps are fine. But any suggestions? I'd rather the core voltage not cap out at 1.48, but I don't wanna set a static voltage either. I could use the ryzen master crap I guess? But you have to load a profile every time you get on the PC.

Or should I just not worry and leave it alone

This is pretty normal. These voltages are usually only at idle. Under load, the voltage goes down. If you want a to have a lower CPU voltage you the easiest way would be to set it as static. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

that's super normal and safe. those are gonna be your single-core turbo voltages, which AMD very intentionally allowed to go that high. you should see if you're under an all-core load that it'll use less voltage. which is exactly how it should work, and you should not change that. 

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Yup, if you gave it that voltage manually, I highly doubt you would be able to control the heat at any kind of load 😄

With my big cooler and thick fans and a load from Linpack Xtreme I can barely contain 1.337v @ 4500MHz, she sits in the mid 80s, and at 4400 in the upper 70s with 1.268v.

I used to let my 3770K roast in the mid to high 90s but that just wouldn't be right to do it to this thing.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

4 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

that's super normal and safe. those are gonna be your single-core turbo voltages, which AMD very intentionally allowed to go that high. you should see if you're under an all-core load that it'll use less voltage. which is exactly how it should work, and you should not change that. 

Thanks for the info. After about 2 hours of her playing, hwinfo had AVERAGE voltage at 1.3, but she was playin roblox that entire time. I havent used AMD since the Phenom II chips, so seeing these high voltages was irking me even after hearing that its how AMD made them lol. And I dont wanna set a static voltage on a Noctua U12S. Max temp was 65c. Just wanted to get some reassurance from someone else. Thanks again

4 hours ago, freeagent said:

Yup, if you gave it that voltage manually, I highly doubt you would be able to control the heat at any kind of load 😄

With my big cooler and thick fans and a load from Linpack Xtreme I can barely contain 1.337v @ 4500MHz, she sits in the mid 80s, and at 4400 in the upper 70s with 1.268v.

I used to let my 3770K roast in the mid to high 90s but that just wouldn't be right to do it to this thing.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Analog said:

This is pretty normal. These voltages are usually only at idle. Under load, the voltage goes down. If you want a to have a lower CPU voltage you the easiest way would be to set it as static. 

Thanks!