Need input on new TV purchase.

MaxFubar

I need some input on TVs.  I'm not very well versed and previously my purchase has been fueled by "how much screen size can I get for the least amount of $$$".  This is my current TV Vizio M55  It works well enough.  I use my Apple TV with it for media consumption and that's pretty much it.  I'm not a console gamer and I have my PC set up on a small desk with a 144 Hz 1080p panel in another room for gaming purposes.  I've narrowed things down a bit from some reviews/YouTube vids and just wanted some feedback.  

Samsung Option

Vizio Option

I've had my current Vizio for about 3 1/2 years and it's been a pretty good TV but has a few quirks.  I've had some issues with the 2.0a port on my Vizio otherwise seems to work fine.  I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with the two TVs listed above and if not those, what would you suggest.  I mostly enjoy my big display for movies, Netflix, etc, but would still like option to game on it if things change in the future.  Thanks in advance!!!

EDIT:  Probably should've added that I'm looking to spend around $1000 - $1500USD for the new TV.  

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 3600(Stock Clock)

Cooler: EVGA CLC 280 

Motherboard: ASUS X570 TUF Gaming Plus WiFi

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC3

RAM: 32GB(2x16GB) G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600

SSD: WD Blue 3D NAND M.2 250 GB

HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB  

Case:  Fractal Design Meshify C

PSU:  Seasonic Focus 650W 80+ Gold

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now!!!" --Elwood Blues

I personally have a samsung one and have 0 complaints. Never used the USB port though so if you need that I can't comment on how well that works.

I have a very similar model that I just purchased a few weeks ago, the RU9000. It's basically the same thing as the Q60t, expect for added VRR support. If you ever intend on gaming, I'd head that direction.

I'm happy with mine so far.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

1 minute ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I have a very similar model that I just purchased a few weeks ago, the RU9000. It's basically the same thing as the Q60t, expect for added VRR support. If you ever intend on gaming, I'd head that direction.

I'm happy with mine so far.

I was looking at that one compared to the link I posted, was trying to figure out the difference other than the $100 price difference.  

Try to narrow down your absolute needs. For me (after months of searching) I decided I needed at least 1440p@120hz, VRR support, and a good response time. This was by far the cheapest TV that met all those requirements. The next step up would have been a Q80t, but I felt it wasn't worth the extra $600.

Primary Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 5 5600 CPU, Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI mITX motherboard, PNY XLR8 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 500GB SSD (boot), Corsair Force 3 480GB SSD (games), XFX RX 5700 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case, Corsair SF 450 W 80+ Gold SFX PSU, Windows 11 Pro, Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560x1440 155 Hz Monitor, Corsair K68 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (MX Brown), Logitech G900 CHAOS SPECTRUM Wireless Mouse, Logitech G533 Headset

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, ASRock B450M Pro4 mATX Motherboard, ADATA XPG GAMMIX D20 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 RAM, Mushkin PILOT 1TB SSD (boot), 2x Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" HDD (data), Seagate BarraCuda 4 TB 3.5" HDD (DVR), PowerColor RX VEGA 56 8GB GPU, Fractal Design Node 804 mATX Case, Cooler Master MasterWatt 550 W 80+ Bronze Semi-modular ATX PSU, Silverstone SST-SOB02 Blu-Ray Writer, Windows 11 Pro, Logitech K400 Plus Keyboard, Corsair K63 Lapboard Combo (MX Red w/Blue LED), Logitech G603 Wireless Mouse, Kingston HyperX Cloud Stinger Headset, HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD TV Tuner, Samsung 65RU9000 TV

Samsung is terrible at software updates..... I would stay away from them

Vizio strait up lies about features and takes very long if ever to fix bugs....

LG Panasonic Sony in that order would be my suggestion.

Also LG runs its own OS that has less spammy adds especially in the EU where you can simply turn off most adds.

It has gotten worse in 2020 still way better than Google OS.......

At low price points this is less of an issue but if you are spending any serious money on a TV I would not recommend Samsung. Samsung makes great phones and refrigerators rest of what they produce has issues mostly with software and their washing machines are just junk. 

Just for media consumption do yourself a favor and get a LG OLED 55 BX

One thing to look out for is that LG killed DTS codec support in 2020 that means it also can not be bit streamed over EARC to a DTS capable device. So you would need to plug the DTS source into a DTS capable device first and then passthrough to the TV

4 hours ago, Exidor said:

Samsung is terrible at software updates..... I would stay away from them

Vizio strait up lies about features and takes very long if ever to fix bugs....

LG Panasonic Sony in that order would be my suggestion.

Also LG runs its own OS that has less spammy adds especially in the EU where you can simply turn off most adds.

It has gotten worse in 2020 still way better than Google OS.......

At low price points this is less of an issue but if you are spending any serious money on a TV I would not recommend Samsung. Samsung makes great phones and refrigerators rest of what they produce has issues mostly with software and their washing machines are just junk. 

Just for media consumption do yourself a favor and get a LG OLED 55 BX

One thing to look out for is that LG killed DTS codec support in 2020 that means it also can not be bit streamed over EARC to a DTS capable device. So you would need to plug the DTS source into a DTS capable device first and then passthrough to the TV

I'm by no means a Samsung apologist (My new TV replaced an 11 year old Sony that I loved), but they ALL suck at firmware updates. The Sony X900H has been supposedly getting VRR support for many months, and it still isn't functional.

As for ads, you're getting them from every major high-end TV maker. Check Rtings.com, and they all get a score of "0/10" for the ability to suppress ads, including the LG BX.

And a LG CX OLED would be the best of the best. But OLEDs are so ridiculously priced, they weren't on my shopping radar. (And I'm guessing by OP's comment about size/$$$, he isn't either).

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

2 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I'm by no means a Samsung apologist (My new TV replaced an 11 year old Sony that I loved), but they ALL suck at firmware updates. The Sony X900H has been supposedly getting VRR support for many months, and it still isn't functional.

As for ads, you're getting them from every major high-end TV maker. Check Rtings.com, and they all get a score of "0/10" for the ability to suppress ads, including the LG BX.

And a LG CX OLED would be the best of the best. But OLEDs are so ridiculously priced, they weren't on my shopping radar. (And I'm guessing by OP's comment about size/$$$, he isn't either).

With unlimited funds, yes a OLED would be nice, but you pretty much nailed it.  I'm on a budged of around $1000 - $1500 USD.

6 minutes ago, Kid.Lazer said:

I specifically mentioned EU. We have pretty strict legislation on adds. And LG seems to be the most compliant.

Yes I did not notice that the poster is from the USA.

As for updates to the firmware I stand by my statement Samsung is terrible garbage. Right now LG seems to roll out the most relevant updates.

Non of them are perfect for instance I find LG cutting DTS support unacceptable. But they at least try to fix issues but they also had a couple of fiascoes.  

As for the OPs budget 1000-1500 USD puts him well into the LG BX range 55inch costs around a thousand Euros and a 65inch costs around 1600 Euros.

Availability is another issue.

2 minutes ago, Exidor said:

I specifically mentioned EU. We have pretty strict legislation on adds. And LG seems to be the most compliant.

Yes I did not notice that the poster is from the USA.

As for updates to the firmware I stand by my statement Samsung is terrible garbage. Right now LG seems to roll out the most relevant updates.

Non of them are perfect for instance I find LG cutting DTS support unacceptable. But they at least try to fix issues but they also had a couple of fiascoes.  

As for the OPs budget 1000-1500 USD puts him well into the LG BX range 55inch costs around a thousand Euros and a 65inch costs around 1600 Euros.

I'm pretty set on a 75" screen size as well, don't know if that factors into your recommendation as well.

10 minutes ago, MaxFubar said:

I'm pretty set on a 75" screen size as well, don't know if that factors into your recommendation as well.

TBH I still prefer an LG screen even if you do not go OLED. Panasonic and Sony use LG screens any way.

Samsung in my opinion is just inferior. Although if you are not going OLED I guess the difference is minimal.
Samsung does use a lot more aggressive "gaming" high refresh rate algorithms it tends to get blurry.

And I hate their software...... 

I would maybe wait for this years new models?

All the big manufacturers announced new TV models. Yes they are half a year away but might be worth the wait?

I highly recommend the HDTVTest channel on youtube for reviews.

The big difference in LG (if not getting an OLED) is that almost all of their other offerings are IPS displays, where every other manufacturer is using VA. You definitely want to consider your seating arrangement to help decide (assuming you begin considering LG's.)

The short of it is this: IPS has much better viewing angles; VA has greatly improved contrast with better black levels. And OLED is in it's own world being great at both.

I was originally had 7 displays that I liked, and whittled them down to my current offering. I forgot to mention, Samsung were the only one's I could find with proper Chroma 4:4:4, which was also a requirement of mine (specifically at 1440p/120). I also went with 65" for what it's worth, and if you care.

LG Nano 90: Good viewing angles and VRR, crap contrast.

Samsung Q80t: Good everything, including FALD, but too expensive.

Vizio PQ: Good specs, but had a very fuzzy appearance in person at Bestbuy. Almost like the screen was ultra-matte.

Samsung Q70t: Everything I wanted at a decent price, but terrible response time.

Sony X900H: Would have been my top choice in specs, but delayed VRR firmware. 

TCL 6: great specs, with supposed VRR support, but it doesn't work properly.

Samsung RU9000: Decent specs with all my requirements, but low peak brightness, and no 4k/120 support.

At the end of the day; balancing cost, needs, and the fact I don't own a GPU that could even push 4k/120, made it an easy choice for my RU9000. 

If I could give any TV shopper some advice after my journey, it is that they should plot our their needs and usage. Determining what exact features you need/want can really shorten the list of prospects. There a TON of TVs on the market, but really not many good ones.

Primary Gaming Rig:

HTPC/Gaming Rig:

On 1/18/2021 at 11:38 PM, Exidor said:

This is the way. You can even get a B9 instead of a BX. Last year I got a 55" B9 around 1200€, and even my neighbour from the building in front of mine, came a day and ask what TV it was because the image was so sharp and crisp xD Also, it has 4k/120hz and VRR support in the case you want to game on it in the future ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok.  Been going through quite a few things and looking into this.  I've narrowed down to 3 options now.  Wanted to get some feedback before I head out this weekend to go look at them and possibly make a purchase.

OLED Option - LG BX 65"
Samsung QLED Option - 65"
Vizio QLED Option - 75"

These are my finalists so to speak.  I upped my budget a bit to get into that "next tier" so to speak.  The Samsung is the cheapest and seems like it's very comparable to the Vizio in my research, but the Vizio has the benefit of a larger screen size for not much more than the Samsung.  If I go up to 75" on the Samsung the price goes up significantly.  My question is simply, is the OLED worth getting into.  From what I've read on that end, is that the LG CX is the one to get and it's not much more than the BX, but I cannot source one locally.  I can get one from Amazon.  Just want some feedback from folks that have jumped into the OLED vs LED.

LG CX OLED - 65"

On 2/16/2021 at 5:39 PM, MaxFubar said:

Ok.  Been going through quite a few things and looking into this.  I've narrowed down to 3 options now.  Wanted to get some feedback before I head out this weekend to go look at them and possibly make a purchase.

OLED Option - LG BX 65"
Samsung QLED Option - 65"
Vizio QLED Option - 75"

These are my finalists so to speak.  I upped my budget a bit to get into that "next tier" so to speak.  The Samsung is the cheapest and seems like it's very comparable to the Vizio in my research, but the Vizio has the benefit of a larger screen size for not much more than the Samsung.  If I go up to 75" on the Samsung the price goes up significantly.  My question is simply, is the OLED worth getting into.  From what I've read on that end, is that the LG CX is the one to get and it's not much more than the BX, but I cannot source one locally.  I can get one from Amazon.  Just want some feedback from folks that have jumped into the OLED vs LED.

LG CX OLED - 65"

My sister has a 65" or a 75" LG, not an OLED, but she got a good deal on it. The software seems to be solid. I have some experience with Samsungs software and I was not impressed. 

If it were me, Id get the OLED, with Apollo 13, Saving Private Ryan and the original Starwars trilogy in 4K Bluray. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.