Question about my prebuilt

znb1
Go to solution Solved by znb1,
20 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Just upgrade what you already have, there is still room for upgrades

The only problem is that the case is very small and only has 1 pcie slot to I want to get the main parts into a new case so I can have more storage and pcie expansion 

I recently got a prebuilt pc for Xmas. It’s great apart from the fact that it has its own proprietary motherboard, psu and case made by Lenovo. (Specs: i5 10400, gtx 1660 super, 16gb ddr4, 500gb m.2) I was wondering that when I upgrade, could I salvage the cpu and ram from this pc and put it on a new motherboard or would they need some kind of proprietary chipset or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Potato161 said:

could I salvage the cpu and ram

Yes, and GPU as well

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Potato161 said:

I recently got a prebuilt pc for Xmas. It’s great apart from the fact that it has its own proprietary motherboard, psu and case made by Lenovo. (Specs: i5 10400, gtx 1660 super, 16gb ddr4, 500gb m.2) I was wondering that when I upgrade, could I salvage the cpu and ram from this pc and put it on a new motherboard or would they need some kind of proprietary chipset or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure I know which one you're talking about. Maybe it's from costco?

Anyways, the m.2, gpu, cpu, and ram should be fine in any other system, provided it's the correct spec for the components- E.G, you won't be able to use a z390 board with a 10400, or a motherboard without a m.2 'slot' with that m.2 The case, psu, motherboard, maybe the cpu cooler, and possibly the fans installed on it likely don't adhere to any type of standard, and like you said, are proprietary, so those might not be salvageable. 

Note: The ram and GPU probably aren't probably worth putting in another system, the ram's pcb probably will be bare, and they're most likely like 3000mhz cl18, something like that, and the gpu is maybe the dinkiest I've ever seen in a non SFF desktop. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

41 minutes ago, Potato161 said:

20 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

The only problem is that the case is very small and only has 1 pcie slot to I want to get the main parts into a new case so I can have more storage and pcie expansion 

9 minutes ago, Potato161 said:

You don't need more that 1 PCIE SLI is sadly dead. Plus I have upgraded many pre-builds and I always found that changing the case was a waste of money and even if I did everything would not fit right because many hardware have proprietary sizes or plugs.

It can be done but its a hassle. I find it better to keep everything looking stock from the outside even if I upgrade almost everything inside.

Also post images of your computer inside and out. I believe there are alternatives to changing the case