GRUB2 install for x86-64 w/ BIOS

How do you install GRUB2 for x86-64 without EFI? I have a 64-bit windows 10 install that I’ve installed alongside Arch Linux and I originally installed GRUB for i386-pc so it couldn’t detect Win10. Do I need to reinstall windows for 32-bit, or will x86-64-xen work? (Whatever that is)

any and all help appreciated

9 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

How do you install GRUB2 for x86-64 without EFI? I have a 64-bit windows 10 install that I’ve installed alongside Arch Linux and I originally installed GRUB for i386-pc so it couldn’t detect Win10. Do I need to reinstall windows for 32-bit, or will x86-64-xen work? (Whatever that is)

did you try to reload grub config?

21 minutes ago, veerteex said:

did you try to reload grub config?

I’ve run multiple os-prober and grub-mkconfig commands with no luck. os-prober detects Windows, and during a mkconfig it shows up, but is never in the GRUB boot menu

1 hour ago, Cloaked said:

It gets pretty complicated with GRUB and Windows.

Both Linux & Windows need to be installed in the same mode, be it legacy boot mode or UEFI boot mode, for GRUB to be able to chainload a Windows boot loader. You cannot mix the two, so Linux in UEFI mode & Windows in legacy mode or vice versa will not work.

You can always uninstall your existing GRUB and swap it for the opposite version if you installed the wrong one. The Arch Install Wiki covers installing both the standard version and the EFI version.

I also had to edit the GRUB config file and add Windows to it manually on my Arch install though I think this is a side affect of Arch & Windows being on different volumes. If you've got both OSes on the same volume in separate partitions this shouldn't be an issue.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

if your windows installation uses EFI but your Arch installation does not then there's nothing you can do to make grub see the windows installation. You'll have to reinstall grub in EFI mode, which requires chrooting into your installation from the recovery drive booted in EFI mode and following the EFI-related grub guide on the wiki. Because you have a windows installation this shouldn't require you to repartition the drive as you can just use Windows' EFI partition, but bear in mind Windows likes to overwrite it when it updates and you may have to reinstall grub every so often.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Sauron said:

if your windows installation uses EFI but your Arch installation does not then there's nothing you can do to make grub see the windows installation. You'll have to reinstall grub in EFI mode, which requires chrooting into your installation from the recovery drive booted in EFI mode and following the EFI-related grub guide on the wiki. Because you have a windows installation this shouldn't require you to repartition the drive as you can just use Windows' EFI partition, but bear in mind Windows likes to overwrite it when it updates and you may have to reinstall grub every so often.

I said I wasn’t using UEFI for either OSes

7 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

I said I wasn’t using UEFI for either OSes

...no, you didn't.

2 hours ago, Cloaked said:

I’ve run multiple os-prober and grub-mkconfig commands with no luck. os-prober detects Windows, and during a mkconfig it shows up, but is never in the GRUB boot menu

I really don't see you saying it anywhere.

Have you tried the "windows 8/10 not found" section in the wiki?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Windows_8/10_not_found

image.thumb.png.7a4902a2225b3740429b7573e6f3eb1f.png

Alternatively you can try writing your own custom entry.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB#Boot_menu_entry_examples

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 minutes ago, Cloaked said:

Okay, so how do I get into Windows to change that atm?

did you install Linux on the same drive? if not you should be able to select the drive with windows from the boot menu of your motherboard. if you overwrote the windows bootloader with grub then you can try fixing your windows installation with a windows recovery drive.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*