Ryzen 9 3900x or r7 5800x

N999EH

Hello so im planning to upgrade my current ryzen 7 3700x to a newer one, and was considering those two. Which one would be the better choice, for some gaming but mostly rendering (with a 3070 suprim)?

18 minutes ago, N999EH said:

Hello so im planning to upgrade my current ryzen 7 3700x to a newer one, and was considering those two. Which one would be the better choice, for some gaming but mostly rendering (with a 3070 suprim)?

Depends on what you want. The 3900X won't give you any improvement in gaming over your current CPU - they have the same single-core performance and no games need 12 cores - but it will give you a big bump to multicore performance for CPU rendering. The 5800X on the other hand will give you a boost to single-core performance and improve your gaming experience, but is the slower choice for rendering due to it having four fewer cores (although still faster than your current CPU). The question of which to get depends entirely on what you value more.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

7 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Depends on what you want. The 3900X won't give you any improvement in gaming over your current CPU - they have the same single-core performance and no games need 12 cores - but it will give you a big bump to multicore performance for CPU rendering. The 5800X on the other hand will give you a boost to single-core performance and improve your gaming experience, but is slower at rendering due to having four fewer cores (although still faster than your current CPU). The question of which to get depends entirely on what you value more.

Hmm alright, i think the 3900x it is then. Just one more question, does it need a 8+4 pin cpu connector or is a 8pin cpu enough?

1 minute ago, N999EH said:

Hmm alright, i think the 3900x it is then. Just one more question, does it need a 8+4 pin cpu connector or is a 8pin cpu enough?

Just an 8-pin connector should be ok assuming you aren't planning on overclocking. 8-pin CPU power cables can supply ~340 watts, far more than a stock 3900X should ever use.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

Just an 8-pin connector should be ok assuming you aren't planning on overclocking. 8-pin CPU power cables can supply ~340 watts, far more than a stock 3900X should ever use.

Alright, thanks alot for your help