does a displayport cable adapter to hdmi supports 240hz?

lesmartel

Hello,

I recently bought a Samsung Odyssey G7 27" and I have an Asus Scar Strix III that runs a GTX 2070 with two video outputs, a HDMI 2.0b and a USB-C 3.2 that supports DisplayPort.

I already have the laptop connected to the monitor via HDMI to HDMI, and I can get up to 144hz.

I wanted to get another cable in order to run the 240hz refresh rate, so my question is: if I get an HDMI to DisplayPort cable, will I get 240hz? If so, should I get it from an specific brand? Or is it preferable to get an USB-C to DisplayPort cable in order to get the 240hz? Also, would there be any noticeable difference between the two?

From my personal point of view, I'm already using the USB-C port to connect a USB hub, so I'm inclined to get the HDMI to DisplayPort adapter...

Ultimately depends on the generation of port your GPU.
From looking around; 4K 60 or 1440p 144Hz is what the HDMI 2.0b specification says it supports and ik that monitors should be able to use that.

Theoretically, Yes you can pass refresh rate over adapters (check the adapter because 

If i remember correctly, to output display port from HDMI you need additional power (usually a USB-A cable), there's one by Benfei on Amazon which I bought for a friend and it worked fine for their laptop, takes in HDMI, outputs to a Display port which you can use a DP cable. Doesn't quite go to 144hz, but does 120hz up to 3k? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-Adapter-Benfei-Compatible-Laptop-Gold/dp/B0752D33PJ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport&qid=1610803513&sr=8-10 
You might be able to find others elsewhere; Thing is DP -> HDMI is fine because DP is backwards compatible, HDMI -> DP is possible just needs additional power to do so.

One thing you might be able to do: if your USB hub has USB-C DP out, you can get USB-C to DP cable which does support full 144hz.

5 hours ago, Robasaurus said:

Ultimately depends on the generation of port your GPU.
From looking around; 4K 60 or 1440p 144Hz is what the HDMI 2.0b specification says it supports and ik that monitors should be able to use that.

Theoretically, Yes you can pass refresh rate over adapters (check the adapter because 

If i remember correctly, to output display port from HDMI you need additional power (usually a USB-A cable), there's one by Benfei on Amazon which I bought for a friend and it worked fine for their laptop, takes in HDMI, outputs to a Display port which you can use a DP cable. Doesn't quite go to 144hz, but does 120hz up to 3k? https://www.amazon.co.uk/DisplayPort-Adapter-Benfei-Compatible-Laptop-Gold/dp/B0752D33PJ/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=hdmi+to+displayport&qid=1610803513&sr=8-10 
You might be able to find others elsewhere; Thing is DP -> HDMI is fine because DP is backwards compatible, HDMI -> DP is possible just needs additional power to do so.

One thing you might be able to do: if your USB hub has USB-C DP out, you can get USB-C to DP cable which does support full 144hz.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just found this same adaptor online, I'll give it a shot.

• 1 year later...

Hello lesmartel,
I currently have the same problem as you, can you provide any updates or other fixes about this situation? Thanks in advance!