AORUS M BIOS Analysis + Open Discussion For Overclock Stability Settings

OGKRG
4 minutes ago, OGKRG said:

Since AORUS M has no LLC feature, setting AORUS M dynamic Vcore to match AMD OC Voltage offsets the VDroop. This is ground breaking news聽馃ぃ聽gotta up it a little cause it's still a little under 1.400v just crashed too.

From what I gathered so far from your screen shots.

1.420v would be good for the 4.5ghz. On the right track.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

From what I gathered so far from your screen shots.

1.420v would be good for the 4.5ghz. On the right track.

I saw a video of a guy that had a 4.6GHz OC, I wonder what's the max so far? not on LN2 tho.

2 minutes ago, OGKRG said:

I saw a video of a guy that had a 4.6GHz OC, I wonder what's the max so far? not on LN2 tho.

Max recorded frequency is up around 5.6ghz.

On ambient, your about at the limit.

Won't jump the frequency wall till around -40c or colder.聽

9 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Max recorded frequency is up around 5.6ghz.

On ambient, your about at the limit.

Won't jump the frequency wall till around -40c or colder.聽

Check this out?聽https://www.bing.com/search?q=MASTERLIQUID+ML360+SUB-ZERO&cvid=360df4efe86d451caeacd9f58b95ab09&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531聽Is your TEC like homemade or how is yours setup? And I am def towards my temp limits, sitting at around 82c max now that I increase that offset. Linpack runs hotter than RealBench

7 minutes ago, OGKRG said:

Check this out?聽https://www.bing.com/search?q=MASTERLIQUID+ML360+SUB-ZERO&cvid=360df4efe86d451caeacd9f58b95ab09&FORM=ANAB01&PC=U531聽Is your TEC like homemade or how is yours setup? And I am def towards my temp limits, sitting at around 82c max now that I increase that offset.

Well not exactly home made. It's just a TEC smashed between a water block and a Cpu.聽

The processor is de-lidded, so the cold plate is much larger. This helps retain a nice low Temp gradient. The more copper that's there, the longer it takes to cool, or heat up depending on how you look at it. The 2700X was direct die cooled with a massive cold plate and a 40mm TEC # 12715 which you can find on E-Bay for 10 bucks or less.聽

EDIT: additional comment:聽

I should add that the hot side of the TEC was cooled not by ambient water cooling but Geothermal. So the water delta was well below ambient temps.

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well not exactly home made. It's just a TEC smashed between a water block and a Cpu.聽

The processor is de-lidded, so the cold plate is much larger. This helps retain a nice low Temp gradient. The more copper that's there, the longer it takes to cool, or heat up depending on how you look at it. The 2700X was direct die cooled with a massive cold plate and a 40mm TEC # 12715 which you can find on E-Bay for 10 bucks or less.聽

EDIT: additional comment:聽

I should add that the hot side of the TEC was cooled not by ambient water cooling but Geothermal. So the water delta was well below ambient temps.

馃槷馃挜聽My mind is blown. I've always wanted to try TEC stuff but it looks complicated and intimidating. Would you run it on a main gaming rig 24/7 per se?

Just now, OGKRG said:

馃槷馃挜聽My mind is blown. I've always wanted to try TEC stuff but it looks complicated and intimidating. Would you run it on a main gaming rig 24/7 per se?

No never. These things are a fire hazard in a PC environment.聽

Most people run them on the 12v PSU. I do as well actually.聽

But these are 15v units and would probably be more efficient with the correct power source, but let's face it I'm cheap lol. In example, the avatar there is a home made pot. I did not purchase it. That one is not great for LN2 actually, it's too small. Not enough mass to it. But it obviously works well enough for to have a little fun.

DryIce is generally easy to obtain. Local grocery stores for example. I got to the Meijer store, and get 10-20 pounds. But I call this (in my head usually) dirty overclocking. Dry Ice requires a liquid to boil and transfer the thermals to the pot. So it's not a one shot process like LN2. And most things that don't freeze at -75c are dangerous like Acetone. Obviously less so once at that low of a temp, but never the less will take the paint off your car too lol.聽

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No never. These things are a fire hazard in a PC environment.聽

Most people run them on the 12v PSU. I do as well actually.聽

But these are 15v units and would probably be more efficient with the correct power source, but let's face it I'm cheap lol. In example, the avatar there is a home made pot. I did not purchase it. That one is not great for LN2 actually, it's too small. Not enough mass to it. But it obviously works well enough for to have a little fun.

DryIce is generally easy to obtain. Local grocery stores for example. I got to the Meijer store, and get 10-20 pounds. But I call this (in my head usually) dirty overclocking. Dry Ice requires a liquid to boil and transfer the thermals to the pot. So it's not a one shot process like LN2. And most things that don't freeze at -75c are dangerous like Acetone. Obviously less so once at that low of a temp, but never the less will take the paint off your car too lol.聽

Do you do OC competitions and travel? cause you got the knowledge dialed in bro. AIO and other sorts of liquid loops are the peak of my experimentations. I would like to one day touch LN2 lol, maybe even get another 955 C2 and see if I can break the OC wall.聽

1 minute ago, OGKRG said:

Do you do OC competitions and travel? cause you got the knowledge dialed in bro. AIO and other sorts of liquid loops are the peak of my experimentations. I would like to one day touch LN2 lol, maybe even get another 955 C2 and see if I can break the OC wall.聽

Look for the C3 stepping and it will probably overlock on a full LN2 pot.聽

Well no traveling, I'm in the midwest and most of the LN2 parties are closer to either coast unfortunately. So it would mean a plane ride for anything of the sort. My brother did go to a comp once in Cali. I was/am (still) Jealous as F lol. It was a percentage increased based comp. So whoever could OC their video card (any make and model) would win the comp. I had this 9600GS that would burry the sliders in MSI after burner. Gpu and mem clocks maxed to the max on AIR!!! Needless to say he won the comp and we shared some cool swag!!聽

And thank you for the compliment. I don't know everything. I don't know all platforms, there's miles and miles deep of information that goes pretty far back actually. There's still some old websites that don't get visited much anymore because a lot of the hard modding days are really gone. Once upon a time, benchmarking wasn't done on sites like UserBenchmark and HWBot. It was all in forums just like this one. A lot of old forums (not tech, Overclocking) are either closed and completely just a memory now or totally dead awaiting the fate of the owners decision to pull the plug on the server that has money dumped into it every year.

Everything now, is OCed from the box. You are not getting a great performance increase like once was. I mean there was a time when 500-1000mhz ++ overclocks where common place on certain platforms and chips. Today, we can hardly tweak past the SenseMi algorithm without risk of damaging the cpu.聽

I used to post a lot on Overclock.net back in the days. I def feel that overclocking is not in it's glory days anymore, but I still enjoy it, and could never just set boost clock and call it a day, to me that's lazy and no fun, anyone can set a boost clock.聽

Also what does AMD CBS menu do? A lot of the same options are in AMD OC and Aorus M Menu. I am from the Midwest also, IOWA!聽

5 minutes ago, OGKRG said:

I used to post a lot on Overclock.net back in the days. I def feel that overclocking is not in it's glory days anymore, but I still enjoy it, and could never just set boost clock and call it a day, to me that's lazy and no fun, anyone can set a boost clock.聽

Also what does AMD CBS menu do? A lot of the same options are in AMD OC and Aorus M Menu. I am from the Midwest also, IOWA!聽

AMD CBS is Gigabytes version of PBO vs the main section would be AMD's version. Essentially the same thing. Chicago

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

AMD CBS is Gigabytes version of PBO vs the main section would be AMD's version. Essentially the same thing. Chicago

Okay cool! and Chicago, I hate the toll roads in the city, gotta pay just to go to a gas station lol. And you think 1.480v-1.500v is pushing it for this chip?

I think I'm going to just leave it @ 4.5Ghz with the 1.400v & +0.030v offset. It's stable, and I am comfortable with that. If I end up getting another mobo with better user interface then I might push it more, but I am happy with 4.5GHz at the least. Sucks CPU-Z shows bus speed as 99.8GHz and only way I can change that is make it 101MHz bus speed. Next MOBO I get for sure is going to have the best BIOS interface.聽

7 hours ago, OGKRG said:

I think I'm going to just leave it @ 4.5Ghz with the 1.400v & +0.030v offset. It's stable, and I am comfortable with that. If I end up getting another mobo with better user interface then I might push it more, but I am happy with 4.5GHz at the least. Sucks CPU-Z shows bus speed as 99.8GHz and only way I can change that is make it 101MHz bus speed. Next MOBO I get for sure is going to have the best BIOS interface.聽

8 hours ago, OGKRG said:

Okay cool! and Chicago, I hate the toll roads in the city, gotta pay just to go to a gas station lol. And you think 1.480v-1.500v is pushing it for this chip?

Yes 1.5v would be pushing your luck.聽聽

The 99.8 is a pretty regular thing. Partly from spread spectrum, which I'm not sure you can actually disable.