Ryzen 5950x base clock too high?

Hi all! New here!

I just got back into PCs..my last one being in 2004! Always followed this world but didn't have a need of a desktop PC for many years. Now I have a need for working reasons so this is what I got:

- ryzen 5950x
- corsair ballistix 3600mhz (2x16 gb)
- msi gamingX trio 3080
- 1tb wd black sn850
- psu rm 850x gold

- corsair h100i cooler

- nzxt 511 compact (I know not the best for thermals but I liked this case)

Sparing you a long read...I'm having sort of high temps, in idle the PC CPU is about 47-52c. Under prime95 torture test is around 72c...when playing cyberpunk is up to 84c!!! (I'd have thought prime95 should make the cpu hotter than cyberpunk!...and before you say.. I have already swapped the cooling as the first one I thought it was faulty)

When in idle..from task manager I see the clock at constantly around 4.4 Ghz. I have the power plan set to balanced (5%, active, 100% in the cpu settings). If I change the plan to power save..the clock goes down to 1.7 Ghz..and here i see a big drop in temps going down to about 34c (but also in benchmark...geekbench gets half of the scores both single and multi...so I don't want to keep it in power safe..)

Now my question is..isn't the CPU supposed to stay at 3.4 Ghz in idle? As opposed to 4.4 Ghz? Is there any way I can get this fixed? I tried to look at ryzen master but I don't know from where to start. I don't need to do overclock as I'm happy performance wise (at least when the power plan Is set to balanced). But I would want to keep the temps down..at least when in idle

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks all

Stock ryzen behavior is kinda weird and it likes to boost randomly, but you can monitor using ryzen master, it's better than task manager

As for why prime95 have lower temp than cyberpunk, I'm guessing that prime95 utilises all cores equally so the heat is spread evenly

While games tend to favour fewer threads more, so the CPU pumps more power into those cores to get higher boost, resulting in higher concentration of heat in that single area, which increases the temp readout, which displays the hottest temp, not avg temp

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

9 minutes ago, Giuvilas said:

Hi all! New here!

I just got back into PCs..my last one being in 2004! Always followed this world but didn't have a need of a desktop PC for many years. Now I have a need for working reasons so this is what I got:

- ryzen 5950x
- corsair ballistix 3600mhz
- msi gamingX trio 3080
- 1tb wd black sn850
- psu rm 850x gold

- corsair h100i cooler

- nzxt 511 compact (I know not the best for thermals but I liked this case)

Sparing you a long read...I'm having sort of high temps, in idle the PC CPU is about 47-52c. Under prime95 torture test is around 72c...when playing cyberpunk is up to 84c!!! (I'd have thought prime95 should make the cpu hotter than cyberpunk!...and before you say.. I have already swapped the cooling as the first one I thought it was faulty)

When in idle..from task manager I see the clock at constantly around 4.4 Ghz. I have the power plan set to balanced (5%, active, 100% in the cpu settings). If I change the plan to power save..the clock goes down to 1.7 Ghz..and here i see a big drop in temps going down to about 34c (but also in benchmark...geekbench gets half of the scores both single and multi...so I don't want to keep it in power safe..)

Now my question is..isn't the CPU supposed to stay at 3.4 Ghz in idle? As opposed to 4.4 Ghz? Is there any way I can get this fixed? I tried to look at ryzen master but I don't know from where to start. I don't need to do overclock as I'm happy performance wise (at least when the power plan Is set to balanced). But I would want to keep the temps down..at least when in idle

Any help is appreciated 

Thanks all

This is pretty normal Ryzen behavior. You have to remember you have 16 cores concentraded into a small area. You are also using a 240mm rad which while adequate is very similar to a big air cooler in terms of performance. If you were to check something like Ryzen master you would also see that most of those cores are sleeping. 

Something you should do though is similar to this video. This will help lower your temps and also increase the performance of your chip.

Ryzen 5000 Undervolting with PBO2 – Absolutely Worth Doing - YouTube

Thanks guys. very good observations...and yes ryzen master is showing something different than task manager 

I'll do the undervolting now as I've seen the video as well. Many thanks 

Edit: just done the undervolting as per the video and the gains seems to be big from a thermal perspective for me. Geekbench I got about the same multi and maybe slightly higher single. Brilliant! 

Edited by Giuvilas

1 hour ago, Giuvilas said:

Edit: just done the undervolting as per the video and the gains seems to be big from a thermal perspective for me. Geekbench I got about the same multi and maybe slightly higher single. Brilliant! 

i brought my 3900x from 83c on stock settings to sub 70c while under all core load, while losing almost no performance compared to stock

undervolting is amazing

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately