Essentials to install in new PC build ?

BunnyKraken

Hi,

What would be the essentials to install after a new PC build for components and to get everything to work.

So far I installed Win10 Home, and made the windows update. I think I won't update bios unless there is some sort of problems later on.

Ryzen 3600+MSI B550 Carbon wifi gaming.

Should I install these from MSI MOBO site, and what else ?

1.AMD Chipset driver

2.Realtek PCI-E Ethernet drivers (even if my internet is working at the moment with ethernet ?)

3.Realtek HD universal driver

4. How about AMD Graphics drivers if I have a GTX 1070

5. How about AM4 Raid Driver

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-B550-GAMING-CARBON-WIFI#down-driver&Win10 64

6.Graphics card (GTX 1070) drivers

Well...

First off updating BIOS for Ryzen 3000 may result in better performance and thermals but I know it's a bit of a risk if something goes wrong. Just wanted to point that out.

You don't need AMD graphics drivers if you don't have AMD graphics card.

You don't need RAID drivers or RAID software if you don't have a RAID. If you are installing OS to a RAID you need RAID drivers before installing, you will not see RAID drives without the driver loaded in the installer. If other volumes are in RAID then you only need the RAID software but this doesn't seem to be relevant to you as you didn't mention any RAID in your system.

Ethernet, sure you can install but I would make sure that there is no bloatware bundeled. As long your net works as it should I hardly think it's a priority and if you don't install it I would have it kept somewhere just in case.

Chipset driver brings peformance improvements so do that and use Ryzen Balanced power plan for best experience.

HD audio is fine if you usse onboard audio and the Nvidia driver obviously is needed.

I first use DDU (display driver uninstaller) to uninstall the video card driver Windows installs automatically in safe mode, when that's done I disconnect the internet and boot into normal mode and install the latest driver clean (internet disconnected so Windows wont install the same driver I removed again).

Some extra tips.

Test your thermals and stability by downloading HWinfo, Ryzen Master, Cinebench R15 or R20 and 3D Mark.

Use Cinebench (free) to test your CPU and 3D Mark (free version available) to test your GPU and use HWinfo and Ryzen Master to monitor temperatures.

12 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well...

First off updating BIOS for Ryzen 3000 may result in better performance and thermals but I know it's a bit of a risk if something goes wrong. Just wanted to point that out.

You don't need AMD graphics drivers if you don't have AMD graphics card.

You don't need RAID drivers or RAID software if you don't have a RAID. If you are installing OS to a RAID you need RAID drivers before installing, you will not see RAID drives without the driver loaded in the installer. If other volumes are in RAID then you only need the RAID software but this doesn't seem to be relevant to you as you didn't mention any RAID in your system.

Ethernet, sure you can install but I would make sure that there is no bloatware bundeled. As long your net works as it should I hardly think it's a priority and if you don't install it I would have it kept somewhere just in case.

Chipset driver brings peformance improvements so do that and use Ryzen Balanced power plan for best experience.

HD audio is fine if you usse onboard audio and the Nvidia driver obviously is needed.

I first use DDU (display driver uninstaller) to uninstall the video card driver Windows installs automatically in safe mode, when that's done I disconnect the internet and boot into normal mode and install the latest driver clean (internet disconnected so Windows wont install the same driver I removed again).

Some extra tips.

Test your thermals and stability by downloading HWinfo, Ryzen Master, Cinebench R15 or R20 and 3D Mark.

Use Cinebench (free) to test your CPU and 3D Mark (free version available) to test your GPU and use HWinfo and Ryzen Master to monitor temperatures.

Thanks for your help, I will install the AMD chipset driver only for now, and maybe the audio chipset.

Im a little bit confused about the Windows video card driver installation. I just updated the whole windows, and it installed the nvidia drivers and probably a lot unecessary stuff. Should I now uninstall some drivers or remove something, before installing nvidia graphics drivers for my GTX 1070 and other stuff, so there won't be any dual drivers or something like that. Saw some Intel drivers also being added.

Offtopic: Any idea how to fix this issue, I can see my SSD+HDD in MSI bios and also they were detected when I installed windows on the M.2. The drivers aren't visible in the windows though. Do I need to add the disks to boot priority in BIOS or something like that ?

21 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for your help, I will install the AMD chipset driver only for now, and maybe the audio chipset.

Im a little bit confused about the Windows video card driver installation. I just updated the whole windows, and it installed the nvidia drivers and probably a lot unecessary stuff. Should I now uninstall some drivers or remove something, before installing nvidia graphics drivers for my GTX 1070 and other stuff, so there won't be any dual drivers or something like that. Saw some Intel drivers also being added.

Offtopic: Any idea how to fix this issue, I can see my SSD+HDD in MSI bios and also they were detected when I installed windows on the M.2. The drivers aren't visible in the windows though. Do I need to add the disks to boot priority in BIOS or something like that ?

Well, lets do your drives first. I take it they are brand new drives and you say they are showing in BIOS which is good. Windows see them but there are no partitions on them yet, so let's fix that!

Right clicky the Windows icon on your task bar (where you open the start menu). You will see another menu if you right click that.

In that menu click Disk Management.

Now you will see a window with all your drives, there should now be some disks without partitions on them so just right click on the unallocated space and choose to create simple volume. Make sure all your gigabytes are selected in the next window and click next and finish. Windows should now detect the volumes, before you close that window with all your drives you can set drive letters if you want, leaving them default is also fine.

Now, the graphics driver Windows installs is a little old. You can simply update it but I recommend to do as I do and that is to reboot into safe mode and remove it with DDU, then disconnect the internet and boot back into Windows and install the new one before you reconnect the internet. Your PC will work fine with the one you have but this method is best.

To enter safe mode just hold the button on your keyboard that has the Windows logo and press r. You will see the run dialog and just put in msconfig and run it.

In this window just head to boot tab at the top and put a mark on the safe boot. Minimal will be fine and when you confirm your choice you will be asked to reboot.

To boot into normal mode just repeat these steps and remove that mark.  

8 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Well, lets do your drives first. I take it they are brand new drives and you say they are showing in BIOS which is good. Windows see them but there are no partitions on them yet, so let's fix that!

Right clicky the Windows icon on your task bar (where you open the start menu). You will see another menu if you right click that.

In that menu click Disk Management.

Now you will see a window with all your drives, there should now be some disks without partitions on them so just right click on the unallocated space and choose to create simple volume. Make sure all your gigabytes are selected in the next window and click next and finish. Windows should now detect the volumes, before you close that window with all your drives you can set drive letters if you want, leaving them default is also fine.

Now, the graphics driver Windows installs is a little old. You can simply update it but I recommend to do as I do and that is to reboot into safe mode and remove it with DDU, then disconnect the internet and boot back into Windows and install the new one before you reconnect the internet. Your PC will work fine with the one you have but this method is best.

To enter safe mode just hold the button on your keyboard that has the Windows logo and press r. You will see the run dialog and just put in msconfig and run it.

In this window just head to boot tab at the top and put a mark on the safe boot. Minimal will be fine and when you confirm your choice you will be asked to reboot.

To boot into normal mode just repeat these steps and remove that mark.  

Thanks for the instruction for hard drives, im currently formating them :)

For the nvidia driver installation, I will do it next. Is safe mode and DDU necessary, or can I do it without them ?

19 minutes ago, BunnyKraken said:

Thanks for the instruction for hard drives, im currently formating them :)

For the nvidia driver installation, I will do it next. Is safe mode and DDU necessary, or can I do it without them ?

It's recommended but not necessarry, no. Just install it the new one and if you get problems with your drivers try the DDU method.