Display model replacements for Thinkpad T14

Hi, I'm looking forward to buy a Thinkpad T14 used, I already have a good deal I'm keeping an eye on but it comes with a crappy TN panel 1366x768 however for the price I'm searching if a panel replacement is convenient. I want to change it with a FHD, maybe touch or not but at least FHD and from what I read somewhere else there are 3 choices of panels: FHD 250 nits, FHD 300 nits touch, FHD 400 nits low powered but it doesn't say how low. Anyway it's really difficult to find the display models compatible or I don't really know where to look for. I know www.panelook.com but I don't really know how to search. Could anyone head me in the right direction? Thanks.

If you have the panel model, go to aliexpress.

First you need to find out which model from the higher end one (with the better display).

If you can't, try to match the dimension, the rest usually just plug and play.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you have the panel model, go to aliexpress.

First you need to find out which model from the higher end one (with the better display).

If you can't, try to match the dimension, the rest usually just plug and play.

That's the problem. I found only the model of the crappy TN panel. As soon as I find the model of the higher end panels I'm set.

Ok then you need to get the exact dimension, then all you need to do is match the LVDS cable.

And pray to god it's compatible.

Now the LVDS may not be compatible, if you can get the schematics, you can make your own custom cables.

All i'm saying is this is doable if you take the time.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

On 1/12/2021 at 10:42 AM, SupaKomputa said:

Ok then you need to get the exact dimension, then all you need to do is match the LVDS cable.

And pray to god it's compatible.

Now the LVDS may not be compatible, if you can get the schematics, you can make your own custom cables.

All i'm saying is this is doable if you take the time.

Bought the laptop and for my surprise it was already equipped with a FHD screen, the 250 nits one though but I don't feel like gauging open a laptop and probably ruining the bezel for a small lighting upgrade. Turns out the model is full equipped with the LTE modem and the smart card reader (yeay but I can't find a use for it), the pawn shop that sold it to me must have copied the specs from a random site without checking. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

Good. 250nits is okay, well it's the same as what i'm looking right now.

LTE is a bonus, but who uses cellular on their laptop when you can just tether it.

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Good. 250nits is okay, well it's the same as what i'm looking right now.

LTE is a bonus, but who uses cellular on their laptop when you can just tether it.

Enjoy!

Yeah, 250 nits are scraping the bottom of the barrel ok but at the end I mostly use it connected to my 27" screen so upgrading the display is not that high of a priority. Of all things I feel I had prepared anyway for the eventuality of a screen malfunction and substitution but I'd better not call for bad luck for the moment 😅.