HP Gaming PC

ItHertz

Recently picked up an HP TG01-0023W. No it isn't the best out there by far. But I had been playing with the idea of upgrading my like 10 year old rig and decided against it. So I figured I would grab something to play with as I game mostly on console anyway. When I have time to game at all. It is held back to a point because of the OEM power supply mounting style. OEM supply is a 400w platinum efficiency. But so far I have learned it can handle up to 32gb of ram and a ryzen 7 3700x as an upgrade. Not quite sure what the largest gpu is I can go with is yet. But the one pre installed is the GTX 1650 Super. It does have an m.2 nvme as well as space for a mechanical or sata ssd. The m.2 is the OS drive so I am using an external drive for games for now until I can get an sata ssd to drop in it. The motherboard is the HP Erica motherboard. From what I have found it is an amd board with a B550A chipset. I am looking for any input on what may be the largest possible nvidia gpu I could run with the oem limits. Also if there may be a larger oem psu I could use at all. I have always been into computers and technology so it gives me something to tinker with when I get time as well as game a bit. 

Motherboard specs:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06418627

PC specs:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06693646

22 minutes ago, ItHertz said:

Recently picked up an HP TG01-0023W. No it isn't the best out there by far. But I had been playing with the idea of upgrading my like 10 year old rig and decided against it. So I figured I would grab something to play with as I game mostly on console anyway. When I have time to game at all. It is held back to a point because of the OEM power supply mounting style. OEM supply is a 400w platinum efficiency. But so far I have learned it can handle up to 32gb of ram and a ryzen 7 3700x as an upgrade. Not quite sure what the largest gpu is I can go with is yet. But the one pre installed is the GTX 1650 Super. It does have an m.2 nvme as well as space for a mechanical or sata ssd. The m.2 is the OS drive so I am using an external drive for games for now until I can get an sata ssd to drop in it. The motherboard is the HP Erica motherboard. From what I have found it is an amd board with a B550A chipset. I am looking for any input on what may be the largest possible nvidia gpu I could run with the oem limits. Also if there may be a larger oem psu I could use at all. I have always been into computers and technology so it gives me something to tinker with when I get time as well as game a bit. 

Motherboard specs:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06418627

PC specs:

https://support.hp.com/za-en/document/c06693646

You'll be hard pressed to find any replacement PSU that's any better if I'm honest. Finding higher wattage small form factor PSUs is already hard enough. Your issue is further complicated with the proprietary power connectors for the motherboard HP uses for these systems:

HP Pavilion Tg01 Tg01-0023w Erica Motherboard Am4 mATX L56021-601  L56021-001 for sale online | eBay

They might even be using the 12V only standard, I'm not sure. But it's highly likely they've migrated their entire lineup with the exception of the OMEN line, to the new ATX 12V standard. 

Long story short, with that board and PSU, both of which will be near impossible to replace one and not the other as well, there's no other card I would think is worthwhile to spend money on over your current 1650 Super. You're just too limited to your PSU wattage and possibly available PCI-e connectors. Any other card that's a worthwhile improvement would require 8-pin PCI-e power which I doubt your OEM PSU would have. Now you could do jank solutions like have another PSU power your graphics card and retain the OEM HP one to power the motherboard. But that's far from ideal and not something I would recommend long term. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

The only other thing I could think of for the psu is a dremel to the case lol. I think I read hp makes a 500 psu but not sure where to find one yet. Thanks for the input. Making the most of something like this and making something more powerful in a small form factor just add to the fun. 

-> Moved to Laptops and Pre-Built Systems

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

So there are definitely some options for upgrades. It may not be the most powerful rig out there. But who doesn't enjoy building something awesome in such a tiny package.

• 2 months later...

Just found 2 of these without CPU or PSUs... for 130 locally :D I may just get one for 80 and save my monies for a CPU- next will be research on what CPU they take and maybe see if anyone made an adaptor to this "12v standard" or whatever is going on- maybe even solder my own LoL. I've seen these Ryzen CPUs show up on benchmarks so there's that.