Docks to power monitors?

Taemero

I have a dell XPS 15 (2019) that I have connected to a 27in 1440 res in 60 hz screen via usb-c. I was wondering in the future if I could run a 4k monitor at 120 hz if I connect my laptop to a thunderbolt dock and then connect the 4k monitor via display port and my current monitor via usb-c.

Can docks like the caldigit SOHO or TS3 plus do this? What do they really do in terms of powering monitors?

25 minutes ago, Taemero said:

I have a dell XPS 15 (2019) that I have connected to a 27in 1440 res in 60 hz screen via usb-c. I was wondering in the future if I could run a 4k monitor at 120 hz if I connect my laptop to a thunderbolt dock and then connect the 4k monitor via display port and my current monitor via usb-c.

Can docks like the caldigit SOHO or TS3 plus do this? What do they really do in terms of powering monitors?

Only Thunderbolt docks support >1080p. Dell Thunderbolt docks have one type C port on the thunderbolt module that supports a monitor

https://www.delltechnologies.com/resources/en-us/asset/data-sheets/products/electronics-accessories/dell_thunderbolt_dock_wd19tb_spec_sheet.pdf

The docks only support 60hz, however that's reading too much into it. What the docks support is a fixed resolution bandwidth. So if you have two 4K monitors at 60hz, you can't run them at 120hz, but you might be able to run one at 120hz. You might not be able to if the dock's firmware doesn't support it though, as the dock itself is it's own MST displayport hub. So even though you have 4 outputs on it, collectively you can only drive 3 FHD monitors, 2 4K monitors or 1 5K monitor. You can't use all the ports.

So I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on this assumption. The alternative are Displaylink docks, which are software GPU's and don't even try gaming on them, they suck.

3 hours ago, Kisai said:

Only Thunderbolt docks support >1080p. Dell Thunderbolt docks have one type C port on the thunderbolt module that supports a monitor

https://www.delltechnologies.com/resources/en-us/asset/data-sheets/products/electronics-accessories/dell_thunderbolt_dock_wd19tb_spec_sheet.pdf

The docks only support 60hz, however that's reading too much into it. What the docks support is a fixed resolution bandwidth. So if you have two 4K monitors at 60hz, you can't run them at 120hz, but you might be able to run one at 120hz. You might not be able to if the dock's firmware doesn't support it though, as the dock itself is it's own MST displayport hub. So even though you have 4 outputs on it, collectively you can only drive 3 FHD monitors, 2 4K monitors or 1 5K monitor. You can't use all the ports.

So I wouldn't make a purchase decision based on this assumption. The alternative are Displaylink docks, which are software GPU's and don't even try gaming on them, they suck.

Thank you for the info!! I guess I’ll hold off on buying a dock for now and eventually get a PC when things are back in stock