What GPU can I get that's equal (or better) to the FPS per £ of the GTX 980 Ti? (UK)

refinedskillz

My GTX 980 Ti (Palit Jetstream) is dying on me. All games that are somewhat GPU intensive cause my PC to shutdown and reboot. I've tried a different PSU with the same issue, and ran  a CPU stress test that confirm it isn't my CPU. I also tried underclocking it by as much as MSI afterburner will do, as well as limiting the power usage, even at 36% load it crashed. I'm looking for a new card, but I don't want to buy the same card again.

I got it for £140 back in November 2019, (used) and it's worked perfectly till now, and since it's dead im considering at getting a new card. Im not sure what would be within my budget (£200).

Any help is appreciated.

Ryzen 5 1600 - GTX 980 Ti - Broke.

Just now, refinedskillz said:

My GTX 980 Ti (Palit Jetstream) is dying on me. All games that are somewhat GPU intensive cause my PC to shutdown and reboot. I've tried a different PSU with the same issue, and ran  a CPU stress test that confirm it isn't my CPU. I also tried underclocking it by as much as MSI afterburner will do, as well as limiting the power usage, even at 36% load it crashed. I'm looking for a new card, but I don't want to buy the same card again.

I got it for £140 back in November 2019, (used) and it's worked perfectly till now, and since it's dead im considering at getting a new card. Im not sure what would be within my budget (£200).

Any help is appreciated.

1070s have slightly better performance and can be found used for around 200.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

1070s have slightly better performance and can be found used for around 200.

Struggling to find any for less than 250+

Right now everything is messed up so none really. Prices are all over the place right now. Did you try repasting it and doing a good clean? If you haven't then I would try that might just fix it.

22 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Right now everything is messed up so none really. Prices are all over the place right now. Did you try repasting it and doing a good clean? If you haven't then I would try that might just fix it.

im scared to do that. Whats the process exactly.

1. Take off the cooler and shroud

2. Wipe off the thermal paste (not with a screwdriver)

3. Apply new thermal paste

4. Clean the cooler and shroud of dust

5. Put the cooler and shroud back on the card PCB

elephants

im scared to do that. Whats the process exactly.

Take the cooler off, clean the thermal paste of the gpu die with some isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher is best), put fresh paste on (spread it out a bit or just put a lot on or both as mounting pressure is often not enough to fully spread it) and put the cooler back on. If a thermal pad rips don't worry just place the ripped part back or if it didn't move even better they'll work just fine still. Might as well try it as currently the card is basically dead anyways.

Have you monitored the temps what are they like. I recommend you use gpu-z for this.

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Take the cooler off, clean the thermal paste of the gpu die with some isopropyl alcohol (90% or higher is best), put fresh paste on (spread it out a bit or just put a lot on or both as mounting pressure is often not enough to fully spread it) and put the cooler back on. If a thermal pad rips don't worry just place the ripped part back or if it didn't move even better they'll work just fine still. Might as well try it as currently the card is basically dead anyways.

Have you monitored the temps what are they like. I recommend you use gpu-z for this.

Temps seem pretty fine, doesnt really go past 70C, but I'll give it a go, thanks

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

1. Take off the cooler and shroud

2. Wipe off the thermal paste (not with a screwdriver)

3. Apply new thermal paste

4. Clean the cooler and shroud of dust

5. Put the cooler and shroud back on the card PCB

1 minute ago, refinedskillz said:

Temps seem pretty fine, doesnt really go past 70C, but I'll give it a go, thanks

70c doing nothing? If so that is WAY too high.

Just now, jaslion said:

70c doing nothing? If so that is WAY too high.

No, under load lmao.

No, under load lmao.

That is alright either way little to lose right. For temps I do still recommend gpu-z as it sees all thermal info and not just the regular stuff afterburner sees. Might show you some weird hotspot or vrm temp behavior that triggers the card.

Just now, jaslion said:

That is alright either way little to lose right. For temps I do still recommend gpu-z as it sees all thermal info and not just the regular stuff afterburner sees. Might show you some weird hotspot or vrm temp behavior that triggers the card.

ok, well ill just try change the thermal paste and post here if its fixed.

4 minutes ago, jaslion said:

ummm, gpu z says the current temp (at idle) is 72??? HWMonitor states 33, and MSI afterburner states 35....

I would trust gpuz  big time here. That would also point to the issue that I expect is going on. Hwmonitor is very not trustable in reporting but something like openhardwaremonitor is.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

I would trust gpuz  big time here. That would also point to the issue that I expect is going on. Hwmonitor is very not trustable in reporting but something like openhardwaremonitor is.

Ok, heres an update, My temps are significantly lower, maybe 7 degrees less at 100% load, but it still does the same thing, although i managed to play for a whole 30 minutes instead of 5.

2 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

Ok, heres an update, My temps are significantly lower, maybe 7 degrees less at 100% load, but it still does the same thing, although i managed to play for a whole 30 minutes instead of 5.

Hmm it does seem that at least partly the cooling issue is a problem. If possible try the gpu in a different system. Check with gpu z and are any temps weirdly high or low (vrm, ram, tjunction,...)? Maybe post a screenshot during gaming.

Just now, jaslion said:

Hmm it does seem that at least partly the cooling issue is a problem. If possible try the gpu in a different system.

I have, and it eliminated the problem.

I have, and it eliminated the problem.

Well then your gpu is fine (even more so) what are your full system specs psu in detail?

Well then your gpu is fine (even more so) what are your full system specs psu in detail?

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/21/01/08/wvy.png (I was gaming and its been about 5m)

Palit Jetstream GTX 980Ti

Ryzen 5 1600U (Stock AMD "Wraith" Cooler)

Crucial ballistics 2666mhz 16gb DDR4

ASUS PRIME B450 PLUS

EVGA 650 GS SUPERNOVA

Samsung 850 EVO SSD (250GB)

2x WD Blue 1TB HDD(In RAID 1)

1x 320GB HDD

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I tried an RX 470 and I got no problems, my 980Ti still crashes.

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Have you looked into a RX 5700 or 5700XT?

It's out of my budget.

I tried an RX 470 and I got no problems, my 980Ti still crashes.

But have you tried the 980ti in a different pc?

But have you tried the 980ti in a different pc?

No....

2 minutes ago, refinedskillz said:

No....

If at all possible in a way I would try it before you write it off completely.