What to do after a bios flashback (Ryzen 5000)?

Mctech

Hello! So I just finished building my ryzen 5600x and Rtx 3070 build. My motherboard is a b550 Aorus Elite which requires a bios update to support my cpu. This, AFTER building the system, I performed a q flash which is gigabytes version of a bios flashback. Note: I did the flashback with the full system and not with just the motherboard and psu because I heard that it will work either way.

so, when I hit the flashback button, my pc “booted” or at least turned on, and the led indicator for the bios update started flashing. my graphics card rgb also turned on. Also all the fans in my system were obviously spinning. The bios flashback seems to be completed since the blinking led is not longer blinking or on.

thus, I thought that my pc would reboot or turn off, but it is staying at this state. As mentioned before, all rgb and fans are spinning but nothing else is happening. All that changed was the led indicator which used to be blinking but is now off. Also the motherboard rgb turned on when this happened.

so I’m now wondering if I should hold down the power button to shut down the pc, or if I should keep on waiting. Out of curiosity, I plugged some monitors in but there is no signal on both.

Thanks!

462BBAFD-8F0B-43C7-936D-1AC39D3E0909.jpeg

image.jpg

try powering it down and then up...

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Q-Flash Plus Button -

Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

image.png

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

10 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

try powering it down and then up...

I will try that, hope it doesn’t brick

9 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

Q-Flash Plus Button -

Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is 

9 minutes ago, PokeCatz said:

Q-Flash Plus Button -

Q-Flash Plus allows you to update the BIOS when your system is off (S5 shutdown state). Save the latest BIOS on a USB thumb drive and plug it into the Q-Flash Plus port, and then you can now flash the BIOS automatically by simply pressing the Q-Flash Plus button. The QFLED will flash when the BIOS matching and flashing activities start and will stop flashing when the BIOS flashing is complete.

image.png

Yes that is what I did! :). I used the q flash on my motherboard 

Just now, Mctech said:

I will try that, hope it doesn’t brick

just make sure the led is not flashing before you do

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

if you brick it you'll have to reflash the bios

My PC

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

just make sure the led is not flashing before you do

Yup it isn’t! The system seems to be on with no flashing, only the fans are spinning and the rgb lights are on

1 minute ago, GorujoCY said:

if you brick it you'll have to reflash the bios

Oh so it wouldn’t permanently harm my system? I guess it is worth a try then 

Just now, Mctech said:

Oh so it wouldn’t permanently harm my system? I guess it is worth a try then 

i think tho, im not sure if qflash plus in on a bios or mobo level... but if the led is not flashing, you are safe to try rebooting again

My PC

4 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

i think tho, im not sure if qflash plus in on a bios or mobo level... but if the led is not flashing, you are safe to try rebooting again

Awesome! I am trying right now and will get back to you shortly, thanks so much 

2 minutes ago, Mctech said:

Awesome! I am trying right now and will get back to you shortly, thanks so much 

Ok I just rebooted and also plugged in a monitor, no post

Just now, Mctech said:

Ok I just rebooted and also plugged in a monitor, no post

does your motherboard lit up in the debug led or any indication like numbers or beeeps?

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

does your motherboard lit up in the debug led or any indication like numbers or beeeps?

No there are no indicators or any beeps 

7 minutes ago, Mctech said:

No there are no indicators or any beeps 

I think I have to take off the cpu, gpu, and ram and try updating the bios with nothing plugged in. Cause apparently gigabyte doesn’t let you flash the bios unless there is no cpu 

1 hour ago, Mctech said:

I think I have to take off the cpu, gpu, and ram and try updating the bios with nothing plugged in. Cause apparently gigabyte doesn’t let you flash the bios unless there is no cpu 

you only need power in order to flash the bios, the other components are not necessary

My PC

16 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

you only need power in order to flash the bios, the other components are not necessary

yes so I am now running on my new system! Thanks for your help :)

so I basically removed everything and tried the bios flashback with a barebones system. However, I tried booting after updating and it didn't work. After further inspection, I noticed that my cpu power cable wasn't plugged in properly so I seated it again. This then allowed the system to post. This was really weird though since a bios update required the cpu power, so I am wondering how it was able to update. Well, it worked so I guess I have nothing to worry about!