RX 580 install went south

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
1 minute ago, hernjona said:

i was thinking that it could be the motherboard but don't wanna spend the money if i don't have to do you think it could have something to do with the ram?

When a system is misbehaving, we can't rule anything out until it's tested.

Use MemTest86 to test your RAM.

so around 5 years ago i bought my first pre built (I know I have regrets) and the specs are 

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 made by HP

16gb of ram 

HP 2b4b motherboard

it came with a janky 500 watt power supply but recently swapped it for a EVGA 600 BR (thought it would solve my issue)

recently I was gifted a gigabyte Radeon rx580 8gb but when I installed it I completely lost functionality of my pc. the card slows down my pc till its basically un unusable, when I manage to get games running they run at a even lower fps than my 960 I've pretty much tried everything to do with drivers updated it would be very helpful  if someone could help me resolve this issue before i spend money on a new board and ram and possibly a new CPU 

7 minutes ago, hernjona said:

so around 5 years ago i bought my first pre built (I know I have regrets) and the specs are 

Intel Core i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 made by HP

16gb of ram 

HP 2b4b motherboard

it came with a janky 500 watt power supply but recently swapped it for a EVGA 600 BR (thought it would solve my issue)

recently I was gifted a gigabyte Radeon rx580 8gb but when I installed it I completely lost functionality of my pc. the card slows down my pc till its basically un unusable, when I manage to get games running they run at a even lower fps than my 960 I've pretty much tried everything to do with drivers updated it would be very helpful  if someone could help me resolve this issue before i spend money on a new board and ram and possibly a new CPU 

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers first?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Watch what's happening in hwinfo and look for what's hitting 100% or what's throttling? RX580's can be very power hungry and can run very hot, I doubt that case has the ventilation needed to run one at anything close to good performance levels.

Just now, Bitter said:

Watch what's happening in hwinfo and look for what's hitting 100% or what's throttling? RX580's can be very power hungry and can run very hot, I doubt that case has the ventilation needed to run one at anything close to good performance levels.

the card jumps from 0 to 100 constantly but i have the case completely open and tried msi after burner to ramp up the fans to 100% but that did pretty much nothing, also turned up the consumption to 100% if it needed it 

7 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Did you uninstall the nVidia drivers first?

yes used DDU 

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I wonder if the mobo is up to the power requirements of this card, like the VRMs being of substandard quality (like most of HP's parts, all substandard) and it's throttling the card back because it can't handle it.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

I wonder if the mobo is up to the power requirements of this card, like the VRMs being of substandard quality (like most of HP's parts, all substandard) and it's throttling the card back because it can't handle it.

i was thinking that it could be the motherboard but don't wanna spend the money if i don't have to do you think it could have something to do with the ram?

1 minute ago, hernjona said:

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

ram is working fine this has been frustrating me for the past two weeks 

3 minutes ago, hernjona said:

ram is working fine this has been frustrating me for the past two weeks 

Did you test it already?

11 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

The motherboard doesn't deliver power (to speak of) to a card like the RX580 and the motherboard VRM would be for power delivery to things like the CPU, system RAM, chipset, and other minor components. PCIe power comes pretty much straight off the 24pin or 4/8 pin board connectors but in the case of a RX580 it comes from the external PCIe power c cabling direct from the power supply.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Did you test it already?

yeah i have it works perfectly fine was just wondering if it could bottle neck the performance 

3 minutes ago, Bitter said:

The motherboard doesn't deliver power (to speak of) to a card like the RX580 and the motherboard VRM would be for power delivery to things like the CPU, system RAM, chipset, and other minor components. PCIe power comes pretty much straight off the 24pin or 4/8 pin board connectors but in the case of a RX580 it comes from the external PCIe power c cabling direct from the power supply.

do you think it could just be the compatibly of the board and the card ? cant find anything online with e compatibility of the two 

Just now, hernjona said:

yeah i have it works perfectly fine was just wondering if it could bottle neck the performance 

What did you test it with?

my cousin tested it with the same program you just mentioned it was already installed onto my pc 

I doubt that it's incompatible but I'm not familiar with that board. You've installed the latest drivers for the RX580 from AMD's website, correct? How hot is it running in games? What clock speeds is it running?

Try this:
Go into device manager and use option "show hidden devices" under View, then expand each key (except Bluetooth) and delete/uninstall all the old ghost profiles (grayed out), if any, then reboot.

Monitors Generic PnP Monitor.PNG

5 minutes ago, GroundRod said:

Try this:
Go into device manager and use option "show hidden devices" under View, then expand each key (except Bluetooth) and delete/uninstall all the old ghost profiles (grayed out), if any, then reboot.

Monitors Generic PnP Monitor.PNG

should i reboot with the rx 580 installed or install it first that delete all these ?

20 minutes ago, hernjona said:

already installed onto my pc 

Then it wasn't memtest86, you don't install that to your OS. it runs from a USB stick

19 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I doubt that it's incompatible but I'm not familiar with that board. You've installed the latest drivers for the RX580 from AMD's website, correct? How hot is it running in games? What clock speeds is it running?

the clock speeds are extemely slow, i installed all the latest drivers for the card and temps are always 30-40 degrees

12 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Then it wasn't memtest86, you don't install that to your OS. it runs from a USB stick

what else do you recommend ? any other ideas?

Using HWinfo on sensors only mode scroll down to the graphics card section and see if it's power limit throttling or any other kind of throttling. 30-40C when the gpu should be running games means it's not raising it's power state from idle.

15 hours ago, Bitter said:

Using HWinfo on sensors only mode scroll down to the graphics card section and see if it's power limit throttling or any other kind of throttling. 30-40C when the gpu should be running games means it's not raising it's power state from idle.

ill try this and get back to you thanks