Too Much Power Draw?

Tasmanian2

Hey all,

I had a quick question to ask. 

I finally decided to get into PC gaming and have ordered my PC parts and all, and am now waiting for them to arrive. However, as I wait for my parts to arrive, I began to wonder if the power draw from my entire set up would be too much. Currently, I have my PS5, tv, switch, and an LED strip connected to my outlet extender, and plan on adding my monitor and the PC itself to that outlet. Keep in mind, I will be using a 750 watt power supply for the computer. Would this be too much for the outlet to handle? 

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

That should be fine. I have an Xbox One, TV, PC, two monitors, racing sim, led lights and usually charging my laptop and phone at the same time. I am in the UK and I have had no issues. However it will depend on where you live

If you are going to use everything at once, then pushing all that through the extender might be too much.

It depends, what kind of extender you have and if you should just get another one from another outlet and use that one too.

Depends on where you live and the voltage and amperage that can be supplied and on the power strip that you're using.

A typical 230V european outlet can supply easily up to 3680w. (230V x 16A)

I heard that a lot of US buildings might only have 110V 10A outlets, which would result in a max power draw of only 1100w until the fuse blows.

So what you should do, is to find out what your outlet can supply and what your power strip can handle. Power strips have it usually printed on the cable or on the bottom. 

5 minutes ago, Tasmanian2 said:

Hey all,

I had a quick question to ask. 

I finally decided to get into PC gaming and have ordered my PC parts and all, and am now waiting for them to arrive. However, as I wait for my parts to arrive, I began to wonder if the power draw from my entire set up would be too much. Currently, I have my PS5, tv, switch, and an LED strip connected to my outlet extender, and plan on adding my monitor and the PC itself to that outlet. Keep in mind, I will be using a 750 watt power supply for the computer. Would this be too much for the outlet to handle? 

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!

Depends on what the breaker circuit is rated for. Assuming you have 220 / 240 Volt outlets and a 12 Amp breaker, that would allow you to connect up to 2640 Watts at the same time. Keep in mind that you do not want to saturate that number as individual devices have peak power draw ratings when starting up, that will exceed the rated power average power draw. Usually it is advisable to keep power drawn per outlet under 2000 Watts, depending on the building you live in, maybe even 1600 Watts.

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

If you are going to use everything at once, then pushing all that through the extender might be too much.

It depends, what kind of extender you have and if you should just get another one from another outlet and use that one too.

I probably would only have my PS5, tv, pc and monitor up at the same time at the most as I do plan on streaming with this set up

Well, here's what I know:
Me and my dad share an office.

There are only 4 outlets in there.

It doesn't have a dedicated circuit - it's shared with the light in there, the closet light, and the front door and front hall light.
It's 15 amps.

Off of those 4 outlets are:

1: The router
2: My dad's six-outlet power strip (fully used)
3: My first 8-outlet power strip (fully used)

4: My second 8-outlet power strip (half used)
Off of those 2 8-outlet strips are: a 600W power supply (soon to be a 750W PSU), a Mac Mini 2011, 4 monitors, 2 dedicated laptop chargers, a 250W power supply, a subwoofer, a L/R speaker combo, a secondary router acting as a switch, a Zip drive, a LIVA X mini PC, and there was an iMac G5 2 GHz.

No issues yet - even when everything's on.

elephants

1 minute ago, Senzelian said:

Depends on where you live and the voltage and amperage that can be supplied and on the power strip that you're using.

I heard that a lot of US buildings might only have 110V 10A outlets, which would result in a max power draw of only 1100w until the fuse blows.

I live in the US, in a residential home, hopefully the wattage is higher than 1100 otherwise I’m blowing this place sky high😂

4 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

So what you should do, is to find out what your outlet can supply and what your power strip can handle. Power strips have it usually printed on the cable or on the bottom. 

At the many houses I've been to, I've seen maybe 3 10 amp breakers and a bunch of 15 amp breakers, and the 10 amp ones are usually dedicated to one thing - e.g. the dishwasher, stove, etc.

elephants

1 minute ago, Tasmanian2 said:

I live in the US, in a residential home, hopefully the wattage is higher than 1100 otherwise I’m blowing this place sky high😂

Well you can use multiple fuses, if there is another close by with another extender.

Here's one thing that confused me, though:
If you add up all the individual amperages, it's greater than the big one at the top that shuts off everything.

We have a 100 amp panel, and when I add them all up, I end it with 240 or so.

elephants

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

Well you can use multiple fuses, if there is another close by with another extender.

It might come down to that