Weighting terms in regards to GPU's

Lastronaut

As with all things there are values that are inherently more weighted than others. So with all the terms about a GPU and its specs in mind, is there anyone on this forum who can give me a way of thinking about which are of highest importance? For instance, in real world applications is it (for example) CUDA Cores>TMUs>ROPs>RT Cores that we would prioritize? A weighted order of importance of these terms is what I'm looking for here.

Edited by Lastronaut

They are all meaningless. Look for benchmarks of the applications or games you want to use

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

52 minutes ago, Lastronaut said:

As with all things there are values that are inherently more weighted than others. So with all the terms about a GPU and its specs in mind, is there anyone on this forum who can give me a way of thinking about which are of highest importance? For instance, in real world applications is it (for example) CUDA Cores>TMUs>ROPs>RT Cores that we would prioritize? A weighted order of importance of these terms is what I'm looking for here.

Never make a purchase based on what a product looks like on paper. Establish your needs and then look into comparative tests and real-world performance.

Well, in that sense I'm looking at purchasing a 2080 TI vs a 3070. I understand that with the new architecture that they are doing more with less, however, I feel that the 2080 TI is more robust and will suit my needs well.

35 minutes ago, Lastronaut said:

Well, in that sense I'm looking at purchasing a 2080 TI vs a 3070. I understand that with the new architecture that they are doing more with less, however, I feel that the 2080 TI is more robust and will suit my needs well.

What does "more robust" mean? Buy whatever makes you happy, but it seems like now instead of trying to understand how paper stats translate into quantifiable real-world performance you're now just making up subjective aesthetic reasons to justify your choice. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

With it being the top of the line Turing card and the 3070 being the base model of its respective architecture, I surmise that its of higher quality. Think of it this way, Toyota and Lexus are the same company. In this analogy we will think of the 2080 TI as the Avalon (Toyotas top of the line car) and then we will consider the 3070 to be the Base model Lexus. If we strip away the bias that Lexus is more premium than Toyota and just consider their specifics and that more experienced people likely built the Avalon, then we can conclude that the Toyota is the superior car. I feel that the 30xx cards are being pushed very heavily right now and to me its a bunch of marketing and hype designed to sell them as better or needed to be upgraded to. I feel that the 2080 TI is therefore in a niche that all things considered make it superior to the 3070.