165 hz on desktop when I open a game refresh rate automatically decreases to 60hz how to fix it?

b0ne-

Yo! I have Dell S2721DGF monitor (165 hz 1440p res) I am using it with Gigabyte rtx 3080 vision oc GPU and it's connected

via the Display port ofc.

I have set the refresh rate via nvidia 3d settings to be 165hz and my max resolution which is 2560x1440.I have updated all the cpu and gpu and windows drivers,

I even updated the bios to the newest version.I am using an xmp ram profile running my ddr4 ram at 3600 mhz.Idk if that could be causing the issue but I am just sharing.

So my main issue is : On my desktop and in my browser and while NOT being in-game, my refresh rate is 165hz and it's all cool 

but once I open a game, any game I have doom eternal, cs : go and red dead redemption 2 installed on my pc (tested those 3)

my refresh rate automatically decreases from 165 to 60hz 

When I am playing I can feel the lag the flickering and every other not smooth type of a thing that comes with the 60hz gameplay, 

what can be the problem boys? While I am in-game I open the steam overlay and I check my refresh rate from this site https://lab.manuelpinto.in/display-test/

No matter how many times I tried it always showed 60 hz in-game.When I open the site and test it on google chrome from my desktop and NOT Being in-game it is

as it should be 165 hz.

You will find attached couple of pictures of my nvidia settings and my monitor's own settings that I currently use.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

3 minutes ago, YoMz said:

have you checked your ingame settings?

yeah, vsync is off everything that could be decreasing the refresh rate to 60 hz is off, gsync compatible technology is also off cuz i dont need it.

maybe it's the new nvidia drivers or the windows version idk i truly do not know and i am so done with this it's like the 4th day and i still cant find the solution

What about benchmark programs? Can you get them over 60?

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

Does the monitor have it's own settings you need to activate to allow higher refresh rates?

Literally tried every mode and option of this monitor and I don't think I saw such an option unfortunately.

1 minute ago, NineEyeRon said:

have not tried any yet 

2 minutes ago, NineEyeRon said:

Just now, b0ne- said:

have not tried any yet 

Benchmarking software will report generated fps rather than displayed fps so will probably not give too much info

3 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

Benchmarking software will report generated fps rather than displayed fps so will probably not give too much info

yeah I did the user benchmark test and i dont think it's my hardware, i've uploaded a pic with the results

user benchmark test.jpg

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

Just in case you missed something this vid seems to go through everything with the onscreen menu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NubpG62TP_k

Small you tuber so took a while to find but he seems pretty thorough

Thank you I will check it out.

Not sure if this was suggested yet but

Windows 10 can cock block your hertz.

Right click desktop, display settings, advanced display settings, select display (if multiple monitors) and then click Display adapter properties for display and set the hertz in the Monitor tab

image.thumb.png.e8d51694213dff03c7e115936b5fd4f7.png

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Chris Fortune said:

If you use it with other software you can see the displayed FPS. The main advantage would be clearer and better control. 

I suspect this is a game or software setting forcing it.

One other source could be something like Rivatuner or FRAPS limiting FPS, but that is very unlikely.

I am guessing it is a setting forcing games to run the way they are.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

I just reread your original post  and am getting 120fps in menu on CS:GO (just lumped in to check) so I don't think its a default game setting there at least

On 12/31/2020 at 2:59 PM, Chris Fortune said:

I just reread your original post  and am getting 120fps in menu on CS:GO (just lumped in to check) so I don't think its a default game setting there at least

it is a default setting in cs : go, u can change that by typing fps_max_menu 300 in ur console to change it or in ur launch options.

I think there is something wrong with the current nvidia drivers cuz i seen other people with 3090s 3070s complain about fps drops and stuttering 

maybe it's not my settings or my hardware maybe it's just the drivers idk I hope nvidia releases better drivers soon.

2 hours ago, b0ne- said:

it is a default setting in cs : go, u can change that by typing fps_max_menu 300 in ur console to change it or in ur launch options.

I think there is something wrong with the current nvidia drivers cuz i seen other people with 3090s 3070s complain about fps drops and stuttering 

maybe it's not my settings or my hardware maybe it's just the drivers idk I hope nvidia releases better drivers soon.

Well that is odd as I have not changed anything in CS:GO, only downloaded it to check it out and wasn't a fan so everything is default.

• 3 months later...

Did you find a fix to this issue? I'm getting the same thing, but it goes from 165hz to 144 and only on specific games like csgo