What antistatic mat should I use and how do I actually use it?

Duranson

I'm building my first PC soon, and I want to be extra safe and use an antistatic mat. However, I'm not sure which one I should get, and how I should actually use it. If I could grab one for around $20 or under that would be great.

You can just get anti static gloves if you’re really worried about it. The mats are generally more expensive and you can just use the ESD bag the mobo comes in. I never use the wristbands or gloves anymore since my house doesn’t have a lot of static electricity. You should be fine as long as you touch something metal (like the computer case) before you start touching the components. If you wanted the gloves here’s the link: https://www.amazon.com/ThxToms-Static-Resistance-Protects-Computer/dp/B01DP6RS0K/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=esd+gloves&qid=1609395527&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZQjBUTjU5NTc1U1MmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxOTk5NDMzTU4zS05UWTlVR1NXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA4NjcxNzRIVzE5MEVYTjY4Nzkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

if you start the with power supply, mount it in the case, and then plug it in and turn it off you can just build using the case as your ground point. Then just use a bonding wrist strap tied to the case metal or regularly touch the case metal to discharge yourself (this assumes your bond to ground is good where you plug in mind you)

31 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

use the ESD bag the mobo comes in

The outsides of the ESD bag that motherboards come in are often not static resistant. 

41 minutes ago, Duranson said:

I'm building my first PC soon, and I want to be extra safe and use an antistatic mat. However, I'm not sure which one I should get, and how I should actually use it. If I could grab one for around $20 or under that would be great.

Use the motherboard cardboard box to build the mobo up on (put CPU in, put RAM in, put heatsink on CPU). Or a wood desk. Both are not conductive and would work perfectly fine.

24 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

if you start the with power supply, mount it in the case, and then plug it in and turn it off you can just build using the case as your ground point. Then just use a bonding wrist strap tied to the case metal or regularly touch the case metal to discharge yourself (this assumes your bond to ground is good where you plug in mind you)

This is a great way to do it. The PSU once plugged in will be grounded, and since its touching the case, the case will be grounded as well. You can touch the case or PSU from time to time to discharge any static that may have built up on your body and it will go to ground. Easy, cheap, works like a charm.

1 minute ago, Coolmaster said:

The outsides of the ESD bag that motherboards come in are often not static resistant. 

The outside of the bags are actually vert much not static resistant. They are conductive, basically like faraday cages. Don't build on them - although I have in the past like everyone likely has at some point or another. But yes, not a good idea.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Use the motherboard cardboard box to build the mobo up on (put CPU in, put RAM in, put heatsink on CPU). Or a wood desk. Both are not conductive and would work perfectly fine.

This is a great way to do it. The PSU once plugged in will be grounded, and since its touching the case, the case will be grounded as well. You can touch the case or PSU from time to time to discharge any static that may have built up on your body and it will go to ground. Easy, cheap, works like a charm.

The outside of the bags are actually vert much not static resistant. They are conductive, basically like faraday cages. Don't build on them - although I have in the past like everyone likely has at some point or another. But yes, not a good idea.

I have a wooden table and hardwood floors, but plastic chairs, could I build using these and some ESD gloves and have no issues?

43 minutes ago, Duranson said:

I have a wooden table and hardwood floors, but plastic chairs, could I build using these and some ESD gloves and have no issues?

Unless you live in a very static place with very dry air, your likely fine... I have never used a wrist strap, have built 25+ machines and have never lost a component due to ESD. Not to say it isn't possible to do, but if you plug your PSU into the wall and touch it from time to time, or better yet always touch it before you touch a component, you will likely be fine (I rarely even do this).

I also don't live in a very dry area nor where there is high static. If you get static shocked all the time, maybe you should worry more then I do.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

The thing today is so many internally and externally PAINTED cases and PAINTED scews. Many older cases were unpainted internally and had unpainted screws.

8 hours ago, Coolmaster said:

This is not accurate. The ESD quality comes from the material the bag is made of, meaning the entire bag is anti static. I’ve run computers for months without a case just resting on the ESD mobo bag. 

8 hours ago, Sorenson said:

This is not accurate. The ESD quality comes from the material the bag is made of, meaning the entire bag is anti static. I’ve run computers for months without a case just resting on the ESD mobo bag. 

No. The insides generally have coating on the inside to protect the interior of the bags, and the way that ESD bags work is having the outside conductive so that the charge can dissipate. Just because you haven't experienced something going wrong doesn't mean that it can't happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge#Damage_prevention_in_electronics

34 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

No. The insides generally have coating on the inside to protect the interior of the bags, and the way that ESD bags work is having the outside conductive so that the charge can dissipate. Just because you haven't experienced something going wrong doesn't mean that it can't happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrostatic_discharge#Damage_prevention_in_electronics

Read how the bags are made, the ones monos come in are entirely anti static. That is why pretty much every tech reviewer recommends building on them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_bag

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

Read how the bags are made, the ones monos come in are entirely anti static. That is why pretty much every tech reviewer recommends building on them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_bag

From Linus himself saying that the outside of the bag is usually conductive (skip to 0:35)