Monitor can't run Xbox Series X at 144hz

Go to solution Solved by KoreyCreative,
On 12/28/2020 at 4:03 AM, jmmmcn said:

Thank you for your reply. Yeah it’s a shame they didn’t think ahead with consoles in mind. 2 of my friends have this exact issue with other monitors they purchased in the last few months with the thought of next gen, I feel like it should be clearly stated in the product page that these monitors can’t push to 144hz via hdmi, only DP or DVI. If someone could make an affordable adapter, there’s definitely money to be made here.

Found a video just for you.

I want to add, I don't (my opinion) like the idea of using active cables. The whole point of going high refresh of reduced latency. I just don't know if using an active cable will add anything to your latency.

In my own opinion, I would sell the monitor and get something that runs without the use of an extra cable. Or get BenQ to update the monitor to allow HDMI to run 120+ FPS.

I bought a monitor 2 years ago (Benq ZOWIE XL2430 - linked below) which is capable of 144hz @ 1080p. However, since upgrading from Xbox One S to an Xbox Series X, I've discovered the HDMI 1.4 ports on my monitor do not support 120hz @ 1080p (best I can get is 60hz @ 1080p) - only the DisplayPort (DP) and DVI ports on my monitor support 144hz.

My question to anyone reading this post: does a cable exist that can connect to an HDMI 2.1 port on the Xbox Series X to a DP/DVI on my monitor (so HDMI 2.1 --> DP or DVI) that allows 144hz. I do not want an adapter as, to the best of my limited knowledge, this will introduce input delays.

Will a cable that can do 144hz ever be produced or is this just simply not possible? Does anyone know if this sort of product will be available anytime soon? The monitor was expensive and it now feels like a waste that I can't get the most out of it.

Thanks for any help!

*UPDATE/SOLUTION*

Thanks to @Popa2caps  for researching and finding a product that could work.

Here is a link to the product:
NB: This adapter is also sold on Amazon but Scan was cheaper. £26 inc delivery.

For anyone in a similar situation, here’s a few things that I learnt:

1. A passive cable will not be able to adapt a HDMI 2.0 signal from an Xbox Series X/PS5 to a monitor (using DP) to produce 120/144hz. Only an active (powered ie. by USB) adapter can achieve this.

2. Benq were not willing to listen to the complaint I had. Do your research before you purchase a 120/144hz monitor if it’s for use with a console. You are looking for monitor that has HDMI 2.0* ports, although, at the time I’m posting this, there are very few and they are expensive. Some monitors will be advertised as 144hz but will not support this through HDMI, usually DisplayPort or DVI. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

3. Do not buy a DisplayPort to HDMI cable that can transmit 144hz at 1080p. They are not backwards compatible due to how DisplayPort works (something to do with a ‘clock’). They won’t work in reverse. You need a HDMI to DisplayPort adapter.

4. Upgrading and replacing HDMI 1.4 ports on a monitor with HDMI 2.0 ports will not solve this issue. I read something along the lines of ‘even if you upgrade the ports, the chipset associated with the old HDMI 1.4 ports will still only allow 60hz’.

5. Whether or not these adapters introduce delay/latency/lag may vary product to product, however, the adapter I have linked above seems to be ‘transparent’, or as if it wasn’t there in the first place. Call of Duty ran at 120hz and felt smooth and responsive.

*in theory, HDMI 1.4 ports can support 144hz at 1080p, however, most manufacturers do not support this functionality (annoyingly).

10 minutes ago, jmmmcn said:
I bought a monitor 2 years ago (Benq ZOWIE XL2430 - linked below) which is capable of 144hz @ 1080p. However, since upgrading from Xbox One S to an Xbox Series X, I've discovered the HDMI 1.4 ports on my monitor do not support 120hz @ 1080p (best I can get is 60hz @ 1080p) - only the DisplayPort (DP) and DVI ports on my monitor support 144hz.

My question to anyone reading this post: does a cable exist that can connect to an HDMI 2.1 port on the Xbox Series X to a DP/DVI on my monitor (so HDMI 2.1 --> DP or DVI) that allows 144hz. I do not want an adapter as, to the best of my limited knowledge, this will introduce input delays.

I found a cable from Curry's (see below) that converts HDMI to DP or the other way around, but only at 60hz. Will a cable that can do 144hz ever be produced or is this just simply not possible? Does anyone know if this sort of product will be available anytime soon? The monitor was expensive and it now feels like a waste that I can't get the most out of it.

Thanks for any help!

It is very simple. The new Xbox series + PS5 can only run at a max of 120Hz. The old ones can only run at 60Hz. So it does not matter if there is a cable that can do that.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

14 minutes ago, jmmmcn said:

I do not want an adapter as, to the best of my limited knowledge, this will introduce input delays.

nope. only if it is active (like a analod to digital or other way around). So, since dvi and dp and hdmi are digital, you will see no delay. 

Spoiler

I mean, there is, but only the time it takes for the signal to travel like 1 more inch. so in the like .00000000000000000000001ms rang (bullshit number, but it gets the idea across)

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

It is very simple. The new Xbox series + PS5 can only run at a max of 120Hz. The old ones can only run at 60Hz. So it does not matter if there is a cable that can do that.

Hi, not too sure what you mean. I have a Series X, but can’t get the 120hz on my monitor due to the hdmi 1.4 ports (monitor is capable of 144hz through DP and DVI).

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

nope. only if it is active (like a analod to digital or other way around). So, since dvi and dp and hdmi are digital, you will see no delay. 

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, there is, but only the time it takes for the signal to travel like 1 more inch. so in the like .00000000000000000000001ms rang (bullshit number, but it gets the idea across)

So an adapter could work then. Do you know of any?

38 minutes ago, jmmmcn said:

I found a cable from Curry's (see below) that converts HDMI to DP or the other way around, but only at 60hz. Will a cable that can do 144hz ever be produced or is this just simply not possible? Does anyone know if this sort of product will be available anytime soon? The monitor was expensive and it now feels like a waste that I can't get the most out of it.

Thanks for any help!

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 1920 x 1080 @120 FPS? OP are you 100% on your monitor not allowing 120 FPS with HDMI 1.4 at 1920 x 1080 with the Series X?

2 minutes ago, Popa2caps said:

HDMI 1.4 doesn't support 1920 x 1080 @120 FPS?

It can, but Benq decided they didn’t want their HDMI 1.4 ports on this monitor to support 120/144hz - I think that’s what going on anyway.

Just now, jmmmcn said:

It can, but Benq decided they didn’t want their HDMI 1.4 ports on this monitor to support 120/144hz - I think that’s what going on anyway.

On the console do you not get the ability to select it?

1 minute ago, Popa2caps said:

On the console do you not get the ability to select it?

The option is available. When selected, the monitor restarts. When it loads back up, it shows the drop down option as 60hz again.

13 minutes ago, jmmmcn said:

The option is available. When selected, the monitor restarts. When it loads back up, it shows the drop down option as 60hz again.

O damn, that sucks. I'll look around to see what I find. You could directly message BenQ to see if they can offer any help as well.

Just now, Popa2caps said:

O damn, that sucks. I'll look around to see what I find. You could directly message BenQ to see if they can offer any help as well.

Thanks so much! Going to give that a try.

Also, there’s this https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2Q8UFL9TKCGMF/ref=ask_ql_ql_al_hza

Benq confirmed 144hz not possible through HDMI ports on this monitor. What a pain!

7 minutes ago, Popa2caps said:

I sent them a message at 

Thank you for trying to help me out. I’ve sent them a Twitter DM as follows:

Hi there, I’ve got an issue with my monitor I purchased 2 years ago (Benq ZOWIE XL2430).

Essentially, I bought it knowing next-gen would support 120-144hz refresh rates. I have waited this whole time for the Series X to come out so I could get the most out of my monitor. 

I’ve only just found out now - 2 years on - that the HDMI 1.4 ports only support up to 60hz @1080p (even though HDMI 1.4 can support 144hz @ 1080p).

I am extremely upset and disappointed that I spent so much on a monitor which I cannot use to half of its potential. And given it’s been 2 years, I can’t return the product to Amazon either.

I don’t think it’s fair for the product to be advertised as 144hz without the product page clearly stating that the HDMI ports don’t support 144hz, given that consoles only have HDMI output.

31 minutes ago, jmmmcn said:

Thank you for trying to help me out. I’ve sent them a Twitter DM as follows:

Hi there, I’ve got an issue with my monitor I purchased 2 years ago (Benq ZOWIE XL2430).

Essentially, I bought it knowing next-gen would support 120-144hz refresh rates. I have waited this whole time for the Series X to come out so I could get the most out of my monitor. 

I’ve only just found out now - 2 years on - that the HDMI 1.4 ports only support up to 60hz @1080p (even though HDMI 1.4 can support 144hz @ 1080p).

I am extremely upset and disappointed that I spent so much on a monitor which I cannot use to half of its potential. And given it’s been 2 years, I can’t return the product to Amazon either.

I don’t think it’s fair for the product to be advertised as 144hz without the product page clearly stating that the HDMI ports don’t support 144hz, given that consoles only have HDMI output.

Perfect!

Most HDMI 1.4 monitors don't support high refresh rates past 60Hz; the majority of monitors you'll see that can push 120+Hz on HDMI are monitors with HDMI 2.0.

Note that the BenQ ZOWIE XL2430 is a relatively old monitor, one definitely designed to push its best out through DisplayPort or DVI, if necessary. It's no shock that your monitor can't let your Xbox Series X to run at 120Hz: it wasn't really built with that capability via HDMI in mind. To add to that, most HDMI 1.4 devices period don't really care for pushing 1920x1080 at 120Hz. Don't get mad at either your Xbox or your monitor, they were just designed in a different era.

What you're looking for is an HDMI to DisplayPort (or DVI) active adapter, but be warned that those can get pricey fast, especially for your needs. Personally I'd just look into a newer monitor that you can guarantee can do 120Hz through HDMI.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Most HDMI 1.4 monitors don't support high refresh rates past 60Hz; the majority of monitors you'll see that can push 120+Hz on HDMI are monitors with HDMI 2.0.

Note that the BenQ ZOWIE XL2430 is a relatively old monitor, one definitely designed to push its best out through DisplayPort or DVI, if necessary. It's no shock that your monitor can't let your Xbox Series X to run at 120Hz: it wasn't really built with that capability via HDMI in mind. To add to that, most HDMI 1.4 devices period don't really care for pushing 1920x1080 at 120Hz. Don't get mad at either your Xbox or your monitor, they were just designed in a different era.

What you're looking for is an HDMI to DisplayPort (or DVI) active adapter, but be warned that those can get pricey fast, especially for your needs. Personally I'd just look into a newer monitor that you can guarantee can do 120Hz through HDMI.

Thank you for your reply. Yeah it’s a shame they didn’t think ahead with consoles in mind. 2 of my friends have this exact issue with other monitors they purchased in the last few months with the thought of next gen, I feel like it should be clearly stated in the product page that these monitors can’t push to 144hz via hdmi, only DP or DVI. If someone could make an affordable adapter, there’s definitely money to be made here.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:03 AM, jmmmcn said:

I want to add, I don't (my opinion) like the idea of using active cables. The whole point of going high refresh of reduced latency. I just don't know if using an active cable will add anything to your latency.

In my own opinion, I would sell the monitor and get something that runs without the use of an extra cable. Or get BenQ to update the monitor to allow HDMI to run 120+ FPS.

On 12/30/2020 at 3:20 AM, Popa2caps said:

Thanks for this, will have a watch!

On 12/30/2020 at 3:20 AM, Popa2caps said:

So, I did some research, apparently it’s completely transparent and there shouldn’t be any input delay. Have ordered one and will give it a try, thank you so much for the help! If it doesn’t work then I’ll have to return it I guess.

Here’s a link to the page I ordered from, £26 inc delivery in UK. Good £15 cheaper than the Amazon listing the video links. https://www.scan.co.uk/products/club-3d-cac-2330-hdmi-to-displayport-adapter