If I were to buy my first FF game, which is best to pick from Steam sale?

LogicalDrm

In short, I've never played any Final Fantasy games. Have thought couple of times of getting one, on PS2 days even. Not got around it. Now I could pick one from Steam sale. Which one would be the one for newbie on the series? I don't really mind having to maybe read some backstory if understanding storyline requires it. Just looking for good overall game here.

The whole series seems to be -50% and up. So anything on sale will do.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 or 9 are the best in terms of story telling and would be my go to recommendation for newbies to the series. Though 10 was Amazing as well being the first true 3d and an amazing story as well. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 isn't on steam unless I missed it looking earlier, I have been thinking the same about getting into FF and as much as the latest ones look incredible I liked the gameplay of 7. Didn't actually play it through just was working in a game shop when it was released so saw it being tried out and demoed a lot.

Edit

I did miss it, it's there and in the sale.

5 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

7 isn't on steam unless I missed it looking earlier, I have been thinking the same about getting into FF and as much as the latest ones look incredible I liked the gameplay of 7. Didn't actually play it through just was working in a game shop when it was released so saw it being tried out and demoed a lot.

Edit

I did miss it, it's there and in the sale.

7 is on Steam.

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, Chris Fortune said:

It is. I have all available on Wishlist. There are 3-11 and then 13 and 15. I don't see 12 and 14, if there were even those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

7 is on Steam.

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

It is. I have all available on Wishlist. There are 3-11 and then 13 and 15. I don't see 12 and 14, if there were even those.

I did edit my previous post correcting myself. Ys I was wrong but I had worked that out already

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

14 is on Steam, but its an MMO like World of Warcraft, same with 11.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

14 is on Steam, but its an MMO like World of Warcraft, same with 11.

...Removing from wishlist...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

They're separate stories set in different places and different time periods so there's no need to worry about catching up on story. You can jump in at any game.

I think VII is going to be the one most people say for story. 

Final fantasy X was the first one on the PS2 console, previous games originally being on PS1, so there's a pretty big improvement in graphics there. The pre-rendered cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous at the time. The X/X-2 remaster on Steam did a pretty good job. I also played way too many hours of blitzball (mini game, like underwater soccer).

In X it's still turn based and as you're walking through areas you'll get an encounter with an enemy where it transitions and loads you in to the battle scene and you choose actions for all your team characters to take (attack, use special, use magic, items).

XII is a little more fluid, still turn based I think but feels a lot more real time. You see the enemies in the world and when you approach them it starts the battle and there's no transition, you fight them in the world. You only control your main characters actions but you can have 2 teammates fight with you. You can program the people in your team to perform certain actions called gambits. Stuff like "attack enemy with most health" or "if player health <50% use potion" and they'll just automatically do that. You can also prioritise the list. 

The story in XII I found a little forgettable. In that I can't even remember what happens or the characters names. I haven't played the PC version of XII only the original PS2 version.

FFXV is most like a modern game. It's real time fighting. Also looks really good on PC. My controller has some buttons that are broken, which happened to be mapped to the attack or something, so I never really got past the first area in FFXV 🤷‍♂️

The FF games are best played with a controller in my opinion.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

They're separate stories set in different places and different time periods so there's no need to worry about catching up on story. You can jump in at any game.

I think VII is going to be the one most people say for story. 

Final fantasy X was the first one on the PS2 console, previous games originally being on PS1, so there's a pretty big improvement in graphics there. The pre-rendered cutscenes were absolutely gorgeous at the time. The X/X-2 remaster on Steam did a pretty good job. I also played way too many hours of blitzball (mini game, like underwater soccer).

In X it's still turn based and as you're walking through areas you'll get an encounter with an enemy where it transitions and loads you in to the battle scene and you choose actions for all your team characters to take (attack, use special, use magic, items).

XII is a little more fluid, still turn based I think but feels a lot more real time. You see the enemies in the world and when you approach them it starts the battle and there's no transition, you fight them in the world. You only control your main characters actions but you can have 2 teammates fight with you. You can program the people in your team to perform certain actions called gambits. Stuff like "attack enemy with most health" or "if player health <50% use potion" and they'll just automatically do that. You can also prioritise the list. 

The story in XII I found a little forgettable. In that I can't even remember what happens or the characters names. I haven't played the PC version of XII only the original PS2 version.

FFXV is most like a modern game. It's real time fighting. Also looks really good on PC. My controller has some buttons that are broken, which happened to be mapped to the attack or something, so I never really got past the first area in FFXV 🤷‍♂️

The FF games are best played with a controller in my opinion.

Graphics aren't the big deal, and my 780 FE would probably struggle with more modern stuff anyway. Turn-basedness is more design choice than mark of "modern game" for me. I'd rather play with turn-based game which makes more relaxing for me. I can play OW if I need fast-paced action.

So seems like it would be VII then. And re-arrange the list based on other good suggestions if I end up liking the genre/games.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv