Whats going on with this drive lettering order?

nelska

Even tho I've got them installed in the sata ports in order. HDD DVD SSD and then a M.2. they are showing up out of order in file explorer? they gave the ssd the D instead of the HDD? picture incoming. Could this just be because I'm using the same sata cable to power the HDD and the SDD? I only have 2 so I had to use 2 from the same cable to do it. image.thumb.png.e4e966ec23eba01a2ac6bb3fbbfe60ae.png

how come theyre out of order? I totally wanted it to go C:HDD D:dvdrom E:SSD F:M.2

EDIT:

Ok, so I deleted the ssd and renamed the dvd drive to D then reformatted, simple as that?

image.thumb.png.167666b1baa8ed4b10cbac766748d7f5.png

You are able to change it in "Create and format Hard Disk partitions"

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

1 minute ago, Scruffy90 said:

You are able to change it in "Create and format Hard Disk partitions"

This make sense?    ^

2 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

I don't know how Windows does it, but it's probably just in order of how they were plugged into your motherboard. They all look empty so you can safely go into Disk Management and change the letters.

thats why im confused because the sata porting is in order. but the sata power cables arent because the stretch from harddrive to dvd rom is too much so i had to use two. and one for the ssd.

3 minutes ago, nelska said:

thats why im confused because the sata porting is in order. but the sata power cables arent because the stretch from harddrive to dvd rom is too much so i had to use two. and one for the ssd.

thinking about just removing the ssd completely until i can upgrade the psu and put it on its own sata cable. do the sata power cables stack? or are they just conected for convience there are 3 per cord.

24 minutes ago, lexusgamer05 said:

The power cables don't have anything to do with the lettering. Windows probably just does it randomly or something, it's not really a big deal, you can just change the letters in Disk Management. I'll show you how to do it:

1. Right click on the start menu

2. Click Disk Management

3.Right Click on the drive you'd like to change the letter of. As an example, I'll show you on my D drive. 

4. Click Change Drive Letter and Paths...image.png.f1ba4fc7f22202f30a6d7479a88e8f97.png

5. Click Change...

image.png.1b95b5224898386dafb05fba8140b55e.png

7. From the dropdwn, choose a letter you'd like to assign to the drive.

image.png.6cd1f4c3dd8b44d90cba5263611bbaf0.png

8. Click OK and make sure you confirm the changes.

thanks, did all that but was still not liking it so i removed the ssd, making the hdd the boot drive and the m.2 the secondary storage device. I'm booting from the HDD because I have the DVD ROM installed. 😛