Anyone tried nickel-plating their CPU cooler?

I watched this video by Der8auer a while ago and am fascinated with the idea of using this chemical nickel-plating technique on my laptops heat spreaders and finally be able to use liquid metal paste on them.

I also watched his subsequent video, showing his results three months afterwards, and am convinced that, maybe, you need a much thicker nickel-plate to make sure it works properly.

So I want to ask if anybody's ever tried it and if they can offer any advice.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Shutset said:

I watched this video by Der8auer a while ago and am fascinated with the idea of using this chemical nickel-plating technique on my laptops heat spreaders and finally be able to use liquid metal paste on them.

I also watched his subsequent video, showing his results three months afterwards, and am convinced that, maybe, you need a much thicker nickel-plate to make sure it works properly.

Thanks.

Liquid metal in a laptop is bad because while on the move it can run off, shorting out components. Why do you feel like you need liquid metal on a laptop?

27 minutes ago, Shutset said:

Thanks.

I’ve never done nickel plating on computer parts, but I’ve plated other things in other metals in the past.  It’s a big mess and takes a long time, also things need to be extremely clean. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

21 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Liquid metal in a laptop is bad because while on the move it can run off, shorting out components. Why do you feel like you need liquid metal on a laptop?

That's why it's important to coat the areas surrounding the CPU and GPU with nail polish or conformal coating. LTT suggested coating three layers of it (waiting 15 minutes between layers to dry) and even topping them with strips of electrical tape so that the LM doesn't short out the circuit board.

If I'm right, Der8auer is making his own brand of nail polish for computers.

4 minutes ago, Shutset said:

That's why it's important to coat the areas surrounding the CPU and GPU with nail polish or conformal coating. LTT suggested coating three layers of it (waiting 15 minutes between layers to dry) and even topping them with strips of electrical tape so that the LM doesn't short out the circuit board.

If I'm right, Der8auer is making his own brand of nail polish for computers.

Nail polish is just high gloss enamel paint in a tiny bottle with its own brush.  Wouldn’t be hard.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.