CPU Upgrade for Main PC

Hi, I just wanted to ask a couple questions or if anyone has had experience with certain parts and their performance. Let me preface that I do not plan to build a second system, but rather run both the server and client on the same PC, and I've done this before and usually it's fine but with bigger modpacks or more people the 6700k shows it's age.

At the moment my pc is a 6700k @ 4.6 Ghz with a 1080ti and 2x16 32GB @ 3000 Mhz. Previously I was thinking about going a 3600 for my pc, but Zen 3 came out so I'm looking at a 5600x, with the IPC improvements. I also have been eyeing the 5900x, which I think is pretty beefy cpu 12c/24t but I know Minecraft is pretty heavy on single core performance.

I plan to run both modded a vanilla servers, whether it be with Spigot / Paper, nothing too big on plugins, but like QOL, EssentialsX, WorldEdit, LuckPerms. It's a server for friends, not like the public, I expect to have maybe 10-20 people on max? I'd also possibly be playing at the same time.

In terms of modpacks, I'm thinking FTB University, RLCraft, Enigmatica 2: Expert. I wouldn't be running Minecraft servers exclusively either, possibly at the same time Terrraria, Don't Starve : Together, ARK.

tl:dr

Experiences with running a server on personal machine? Playing with server and client on the same machine.

Upgrade to 5600x or 5900x? A dedicated PC would be ideal here, but the servers aren't permanent as in we'd have a month or two type of gameplay and then either take a break or move on to another game. Would you guys just make a dedicated PC for this because it'd come out to about 800 for cpu and mobo for the 5900x+b550-f. With $800 I could just go with a 3600 used, I thought about making a standalone pc for about 500-600 when the 1600 AF was released for $85, but that thing is just out of stock.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts, thanks!

14 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

Hi, I just wanted to ask a couple questions or if anyone has had experience with certain parts and their performance. Let me preface that I do not plan to build a second system, but rather run both the server and client on the same PC, and I've done this before and usually it's fine but with bigger modpacks or more people the 6700k shows it's age.

At the moment my pc is a 6700k @ 4.6 Ghz with a 1080ti and 2x16 32GB @ 3000 Mhz. Previously I was thinking about going a 3600 for my pc, but Zen 3 came out so I'm looking at a 5600x, with the IPC improvements. I also have been eyeing the 5900x, which I think is pretty beefy cpu 12c/24t but I know Minecraft is pretty heavy on single core performance.

I plan to run both modded a vanilla servers, whether it be with Spigot / Paper, nothing too big on plugins, but like QOL, EssentialsX, WorldEdit, LuckPerms. It's a server for friends, not like the public, I expect to have maybe 10-20 people on max? I'd also possibly be playing at the same time.

In terms of modpacks, I'm thinking FTB University, RLCraft, Enigmatica 2: Expert. I wouldn't be running Minecraft servers exclusively either, possibly at the same time Terrraria, Don't Starve : Together, ARK.

tl:dr

Experiences with running a server on personal machine? Playing with server and client on the same machine.

Upgrade to 5600x or 5900x? A dedicated PC would be ideal here, but the servers aren't permanent as in we'd have a month or two type of gameplay and then either take a break or move on to another game. Would you guys just make a dedicated PC for this because it'd come out to about 800 for cpu and mobo for the 5900x+b550-f. With $800 I could just go with a 3600 used, I thought about making a standalone pc for about 500-600 when the 1600 AF was released for $85, but that thing is just out of stock.

Anyways, I'd like to hear your thoughts, thanks!

ok im confused, you want to build a server for 20 people and a gaming rig, u literally need a 1600 to run minecraft itself, and for a server 10th gen i3's are a GREAT choice

2 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

ok im confused, you want to build a server for 20 people and a gaming rig, u literally need a 1600 to run minecraft itself, and for a server 10th gen i3's are a GREAT choice

I would highly prefer to just have one system vs building a completely new system. I'm just trying to figure out 5600x vs 5900x. 

Just now, KaireFeare said:

I would highly prefer to just have one system vs building a completely new system. I'm just trying to figure out 5600x vs 5900x. 

literally both can run in background if my cousins old/now my uncles fx-8350 can run a 20 people minecraft server

Just now, ComputerBuilder said:

literally both can run in background if my cousins old/now my uncles fx-8350 can run a 20 people minecraft server

it does not get hot, i think dell underclocked it

Depends on plugins and whether or not it's modded. I also plan to play on the server, so client and server would be running on the same machine. Have you used the 5600x/5900x in this context at all? 

1 minute ago, KaireFeare said:

Depends on plugins and whether or not it's modded. I also plan to play on the server, so client and server would be running on the same machine. Have you used the 5600x/5900x in this context at all? 

ik that they will perform hella well

3 minutes ago, KaireFeare said:

the fx he has does run it in the background, you can literally make a $50 minecraft server with using a 1st gen i5

the fx he has does run it in the background, you can literally make a $50 minecraft server with using a 1st gen i5

I'm going to take it that you haven't ran 5600x/5900x in this context, on paper it sounds great, but Minecraft isn't very optimized for high core count cpus. With Zen 3 IPC, it'd yield much better results than what I currently have 6700k. Running a completely dedicated server on those chips is very overkill, but it's going to be running with most likely another server in mind, a bunch of players, and other tasks in the backgrounds. I've had issues with my 6700k, which is why I'm looking for a better solution in the first place. 

I'm going to take it that you haven't ran 5600x/5900x in this context, on paper it sounds great, but Minecraft isn't very optimized for high core count cpus. With Zen 3 IPC, it'd yield much better results than what I currently have 6700k. Running a completely dedicated server on those chips is very overkill, but it's going to be running with most likely another server in mind, a bunch of players, and other tasks in the backgrounds. I've had issues with my 6700k, which is why I'm looking for a better solution in the first place. 

and zen 3 chip would work, since they are very high performers, im  not stupid, and my friends have 5000 series chips and run like 20 people server and it run PERFECTLy

5 minutes ago, ComputerBuilder said:

and zen 3 chip would work, since they are very high performers, im  not stupid, and my friends have 5000 series chips and run like 20 people server and it run PERFECTLy

I don't really know the context of 20 player server, are they also playing on it? What type of plugins? They running bukkit/spigot, specific mod packs, ram allocation etc. What are the people doing on the server, is the map pregen? 

I don't really know the context of 20 player server, are they also playing on it? What type of plugins? They running bukkit/spigot, specific mod packs, ram allocation etc. What are the people doing on the server, is the map pregen? 

i dont know we just have like 5 million buildings and a few mods, idk about minecraft server software too much

i dont know we just have like 5 million buildings and a few mods, idk about minecraft server software too much

Then yeah, that my point. What you're saying doesn't really help my use case, in deciding to go 5600 vs 5900x. If there was a 5700x sku I'd probably go for it, but the 5900x being a considered a defective chip is just too good of a bait for someone who wants to do a bunch of multitasking on the same pc. 

Then yeah, that my point. What you're saying doesn't really help my use case, in deciding to go 5600 vs 5900x. If there was a 5700x sku I'd probably go for it, but the 5900x being a considered a defective chip is just too good of a bait for someone who wants to do a bunch of multitasking on the same pc. 

what do you do other than run the server

what do you do other than run the server

Running probably a Terraria server, a Modded Minecraft / Vanilla MC Server, with light streaming and then playing on either one of those servers at the same time. Streaming for fun is always up in there air. Anything that I could fathom of doing, I would want it to do, and do it well. 

Just now, KaireFeare said:

Running probably a Terraria server, a Modded Minecraft / Vanilla MC Server, with light streaming and then playing on either one of those servers at the same time. Streaming for fun is always up in there air. Anything that I could fathom of doing, I would want it to do, and do it well. 

yes a 5900x might be best, but the 5600x is a option, but you can assign like 2 cores to minecraft, 2 for terraria, 2 for the server software and mods, and you have 4 cores for desktop, streaming, maybe you wont need so many cores assigned for the server, maybe 1 core for each idk