Removing OC HDD after mirroring it?

SomeKittyKat

Hello,

Since one of my Hard drive is slowly dying I am planning to mirror said drive to a new one I bought (the new one is bigger, 5tb > 8tb) using the Windows Disk Management tool.

I wanted to ask if I can just remove the old Drive after I'm done mirroring it to the new one (including assigning the new drive with the old drives letter)?

What I want as a end result pretty much is that my PC just continues using my new drive as if it would be the old drive (all shortcrust's still linking correctly and so on).

(Kind of like Indiana Jones quick switching the treasure on top of a pressure plate without triggering the mechanism if you will...)

Another question is if there will be problems if I first use AMDs StoreMI to make the new HDD to a SSHD using a also newly bought SSD?

If anyone knows a better program to mirror a hard drive I would also appreciate any suggestions/tips.

Thank you for taking your time reading this! :3 

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

What you can do is remove the old drive's letter on disk management then set it to Offline and assign the same letter to your new drive and restart.

I should add that the old Drive is a Externa. So I have fast access to remove it completely. I guess what I want to ask is if I the Mirrored new HDD will keep the files if the old HDD gets removed.