High 5600x Idle Temps

StevenC

Hey all,

I recently moved from a old Haswell CPU to the 5600x however, my idle temps seem really high. I'm idling in the range of 55-65c. Is this normal? My old CPU would idle around 30-40c. I'm currently using a Noctua NH-U12S as my cooler and I checked to make sure that it was seated properly. Any advise would be appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, StevenC said:

Hey all,

I recently moved from a old Haswell CPU to the 5600x however, my idle temps seem really high. I'm idling in the range of 55-65c. Is this normal? My old CPU would idle around 30-40c. I'm currently using a Noctua NH-U12S as my cooler and I checked to make sure that it was seated properly. Any advise would be appreciated. 

That is way too much in idle. Is the fan spinning? What's your case airflow like at the moment? 

That's normal for Ryzen, it's also often not "idle". One or two core will boost to max speed and spike the temps really fast. How are your load temps?

Main PC: R5 5600X | EVGA RTX 2080 | X470 Strix-F | 32GB DDR4 @3600 CL16 | ~4.5 TB Various SSDs |

Watercooling: EK Quantum Velocity | EVGA Hydro Cooper | Swiftech MCP355 | Red/Black Bitspower 3/8" x 5/8" Fittings| EK ZMT Tubing |

Plex: i7 3770K | Z77 Gene-V | 16GB DDR3 | 1x2TB WD Red 2x4TB WD Red 1x10TB Barracuda Pro |

8 minutes ago, -Strelok- said:

That's normal for Ryzen, it's also often not "idle". One or two core will boost to max speed and spike the temps really fast. How are your load temps?

@-Strelok- I would have to disagree, unless case airflow is really bad, the NH-U12S should keep the cpu well below 50 while doing windows stuff. Yes a short spike to 55C is normal but not a constant temperature like that.

27 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

@-Strelok- I would have to disagree, unless case airflow is really bad, the NH-U12S should keep the cpu well below 50 while doing windows stuff. Yes a short spike to 55C is normal but not a constant temperature like that.

The 5600X is pretty warm and it's a tiny area to try to transfer all that heat from. On my custom loop it's usually chilling in the mid 30's to mid 40's with a coolant temp of around 25-30C. High idle temps are pretty consistent because the CPU's are never really idle. If I turn off everything and just have it at the desktop it'll go to about 2-3C above the coolant temp. Turning on my VPN or opening any program causes it to spike higher.

I tested CB23 for 30 minutes today and the max temp it reach was about 65C. This is with PBO/AutoOC as well. Just for reference.

Main PC: R5 5600X | EVGA RTX 2080 | X470 Strix-F | 32GB DDR4 @3600 CL16 | ~4.5 TB Various SSDs |

Watercooling: EK Quantum Velocity | EVGA Hydro Cooper | Swiftech MCP355 | Red/Black Bitspower 3/8" x 5/8" Fittings| EK ZMT Tubing |

Plex: i7 3770K | Z77 Gene-V | 16GB DDR3 | 1x2TB WD Red 2x4TB WD Red 1x10TB Barracuda Pro |

58 minutes ago, -Strelok- said:

I ran a 20 min stress test using 3D Mark and the highest temp that I got was 71c. 

Just now, StevenC said:

I ran a 20 min stress test using 3D Mark and the highest temp that I got was 71c. 

Can you run CB? But that sounds like it's running OK. What's your case and how are the intake/exhaust fans setup?

1 hour ago, Applefreak said:

That is way too much in idle. Is the fan spinning? What's your case airflow like at the moment? 

I'm using a Define R6 case with 3 Noctua NF-P14s (2 front + 1 rear). 

2 hours ago, StevenC said:

Hey all,

Umm, I was having problems with my 5800x. But the paste I bought was the issue. Coming from a Intel chip. It perplexed me why my thermals seemed high compared. I bought new paste applied and checked again. I'm sitting 25 to 30 c now. Still kinda weirded out though. Ryzen chips seem to get hot like really quick. But never goes over 60c. Kinda thinking maybe I still have a paste issue. Maybe this is normal behavior?