Two PCs have very different internet speeds when on the same network

Hi,

I was upgrading my ethernet cables to me and my brothers gaming room today so I decided to test the ethernet cables first before running them through walls etc. I found that with both my old ethernet cable and the new one my brother's PC was consistently getting around 530mbps where as my PC with the same two cables was only getting about 250mpbs (sometimes even less). The PCs are basically next to each other and I have no idea what could be causing this difference in speed. I built my PC back in 2016 so I thought it should be able to keep up with my brothers since his is only a year or two newer than mine. I'll link the motherboard I have below however I am not sure what the issue could be as I cant find new drivers anywhere online to test. I have tried testing the speed on both pcs at the same time and on their own and the results of the speeds are the same.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm now starting to worry that it is my motherboard having issues due to recent speed issues with my USB C port and my samsung T7 external ssd.

My Motherboard:

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/

Thanks in advance 

Can you check the link speed through the "Network and Sharing Center", to make sure both are 1Gb/s? It could be an issue with auto-negotiation, with each of your NICs agreeing to a different speed with your router.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Can you check the link speed through the "Network and Sharing Center", to make sure both are 1Gb/s? It could be an issue with auto-negotiation, with each of your NICs agreeing to a different speed with your router.

I went into the network and sharing center there and it says on my pc (the slower of the two) the ethernet status is showing 1.0Gbps

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Yeah both PCs are showing an ethernet speed of 1.0Gbps. Only difference I have just noticed is that my ethernet seems to be showing as a private network and my brothers is showing as a public network. Could this make a difference?

2 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Only difference I have just noticed is that my ethernet seems to be showing as a private network and my brothers is showing as a public network. Could this make a difference?

I don't think it should. There could be some difference in packet loss between the two computers, but half the speed seems too much of a difference to explain that way. I'm out of ideas, but let's hope someone else brings some fresh ones.

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I don't think it should. There could be some difference in packet loss between the two computers, but half the speed seems too much of a difference to explain that way. I'm out of ideas, but let's hope someone else brings some fresh ones.

I was wondering if it could possibly be something in his motherboard that priorities his PC over mine when it comes to the ethernet connection. Have no idea if that even exists but I doubt it would be since I get the same speeds when his PC is turned off. Thanks for the help anyways, Much appreciated 

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Found the model of motherboard which my brother has. Do you think it could be this internet accelerator software that's installed on the motherboard? Its about a quarter of the way down the page ive linked 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270P-D3-rev-10#kf

7 minutes ago, Peter Boyle said:

Found the model of motherboard which my brother has. Do you think it could be this internet accelerator software that's installed on the motherboard? Its about a quarter of the way down the page ive linked 

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270P-D3-rev-10#kf

I never found those programs to make much of a difference, but I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Does he use it?

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I never found those programs to make much of a difference, but I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Does he use it?

I don't think so. I doubt he would because he tends to have no clue about stuff like that but it's the only thing that I can think of which would cause it. Starting to think somethings wrong with my motherboard :(.

Thanks again for trying to help