[RANT]Argghh Internet connection is being annoying...

aDoomGuy

Ahh.. so.. this is just a rant so...

I been downloading real slow for days and I've tried pulkling out this and that plug and connect my PC directly to the cable modem reset this and reset that. Eventually I called the ISP and they couldn't solve it and said they may have to send out a techician ...which will take 50 years? If they send a tech guy can't he just connect the fibre optic cable thats coiled on the wall outside and is ready to go. Graaah why are they so slow, it's been hanging on the wall for months and their fibre upgrade is delayed by years... Wonder how long they gonna charge me €60 a month for this 16mbps connection? 👍

[/RANT]

I think once covid settles down, this will change.

As for your issue, it could be something as simple as a splitter. For us, there was a coaxial splitter somewhere under the house, took them ages to figure out that's all it was. No idea if that's the case for you, but ya never know. 

Might be worth trying a different ISP with better support/reliability, assuming that there are better choices than your current offering.

Yeah, I had dealt with a really annoying ISP in the UK myself (EE) where we had fiber and the connection was constantly slowing down to a hault like twice a day and support was completely useless, I was able to record on multiple occasions 0mbps upload and 0mbps download on speedtest.net, didn't even know it was possible. I also believe I had to factory reset the router like twice, all that during non covid times, not to mention that it took like 2 weeks to get internet.

Thankfully our contract had ended and I just switched to Virgin Media, router arrived in a couple of days and we were up and running, they used DOCSIS instead of fiber, and the connection was and still is really fast and reliable to this day, I had once an issues (speed was capped at 100mbps for some reason), and within a couple of days (during covid) they sent an engineer who fixed the issue, all free of charge of course, and everyone I had spoken to there was really friendly. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had we stuck with fiber and the same company.

@TempestCatto @James Evens 

Thanks, my ISP said they found a problem with the connection but they wasn't sure if it was something they could fix without sending out the techies.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Might be worth trying a different ISP with better support/reliability, assuming that there are better choices than your current offering.

Yeah, I had dealt with a really annoying ISP in the UK myself (EE) where we had fiber and the connection was constantly slowing down to a hault like twice a day and support was completely useless, I was able to record on multiple occasions 0mbps upload and 0mbps download on speedtest.net, didn't even know it was possible. I also believe I had to factory reset the router like twice, all that during non covid times, not to mention that it took like 2 weeks to get internet.

Thankfully our contract had ended and I just switched to Virgin Media, they used DOCSIS instead of fiber, and the connection was and still is really fast and reliable to this day, I had once an issues (speed was capped at 100mbps for some reason), and within a couple of days (during covid) they sent an engineer who fixed the issue, all free of charge of course, and everyone I had spoken to there was really friendly. I can't even imagine what it would have been like had we stuck with fiber and the same company.

Ah, my ISP owns the actual cables coming to our house so I can't switch unless someone else comes digging fiber optics or cable. That's how I understand it anyway. This problem may be due to digging (they're digging fiber optics for the whole area) and I suspect they may have damaged a cable in the process. This reason have been the only cause for downtime in the last 10 years with this ISP, twice digging have severed cables once here and once at my old flat. I can't be sure it's the reason this time but there may be a damaged cable somewhere around here.

Funnily enough though, last evening I thought it was solved because speed was normal 300mbps until today... Could be perhaps then an overloaded server but we have no major outbreak in this part of the country and apart from being encouraged to keep 3ft+ distance there are not much out of the usual here now.

Oh well.. Least it had some working hours last evening and I got to download the games I had to redownload after my OS reinstall. Tomorrow it's Monday and I hope it gets fixed then.... Hmm leet's see if I can post this ...got 3 tabs that's been struggling to load for a while....