What does LTE Unlocked (GSM Networks) mean for Nexus 7 Tablet?

I am looking into buying the nexus 7 and realised they have a LTE unlocked version. Does this mean I can have mobile data on it? And if so does it have to be a tablet sim card or can I put in a phone sim card and use that? I've noticed that tablet internet is a lot more expensive than phone internet plans so could I put a phone sim into the tablet?

Thanks,

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

I am looking into buying the nexus 7 and realised they have a LTE unlocked version. Does this mean I can have mobile data on it? And if so does it have to be a tablet sim card or can I put in a phone sim card and use that? I've noticed that tablet internet is a lot more expensive than phone internet plans so could I put a phone sim into the tablet?

Thanks,

Blueprint

So because you are in the UK it's dead easy, it means that it is unlocked for any network, you can put any networks SIM card in and it will work, LTE means that it can run LTE and because for phone and tablets they only advertise the newest mobile technology as the headline spec, because it says LTE it also means it will work on 3G and 2G if you do not have coverage of one or two of them in your area.

To your second question, the answer is yes, you can put a phone SIM in and there is no reason it should not work aOK, you would not be able to make phone calls or send text messages obviously (it's a data only tablet) but data will work flawlessly as long as you are using the mobile phone data settings which should set themselves up on their own.

Two great options since you are in the UK depending on your needs but because you are looking at price, are Samba Mobile and Ovivo both give you free data in exchange for you viewing adverts, I use Samba in my tablet and you get data by watching adverts on their site and the data you earn lasts forever, I think I have over 7GB in the bank from the adverts I've watched.

Or with Ovivo you get a set amount of data every month but when you navigate to a website it may show you an ad before it takes you to the website but the advantage in that is you don't have to spend time watching adverts like on Samba, both are really great options over a fixed SIM only contract or PAYG options especially if you are not going to be using network data all the time or are not going to be using lots of data (like me) so you don't want to pay out for a little amount of usage, but if you are going to use data out and about loads then probably 3 Mobile or GiffGaff are your best bets as they have unlimited data options for a good price.

I think Samba has a referral thing so if you went for the LTE version and wanted to go Samba I could find and PM you my referral link so you can get the SIM for half price, you only save £2.50 (and for full disclosure I get £2.50 of topup credit) but if you wanted it you can have it.

So because you are in the UK it's dead easy, it means that it is unlocked for any network, you can put any networks SIM card in and it will work, LTE means that it can run LTE and because for phone and tablets they only advertise the newest mobile technology as the headline spec, because it says LTE it also means it will work on 3G and 2G if you do not have coverage of one or two of them in your area.

To your second question, the answer is yes, you can put a phone SIM in and there is no reason it should not work aOK, you would not be able to make phone calls or send text messages obviously (it's a data only tablet) but data will work flawlessly as long as you are using the mobile phone data settings which should set themselves up on their own.

Two great options since you are in the UK depending on your needs but because you are looking at price, are Samba Mobile and Ovivo both give you free data in exchange for you viewing adverts, I use Samba in my tablet and you get data by watching adverts on their site and the data you earn lasts forever, I think I have over 7GB in the bank from the adverts I've watched.

Or with Ovivo you get a set amount of data every month but when you navigate to a website it may show you an ad before it takes you to the website but the advantage in that is you don't have to spend time watching adverts like on Samba, both are really great options over a fixed SIM only contract or PAYG options especially if you are not going to be using network data all the time or are not going to be using lots of data (like me) so you don't want to pay out for a little amount of usage, but if you are going to use data out and about loads then probably 3 Mobile or GiffGaff are your best bets as they have unlimited data options for a good price.

I think Samba has a referral thing so if you went for the LTE version and wanted to go Samba I could find and PM you my referral link so you can get the SIM for half price, you only save £2.50 (and for full disclosure I get £2.50 of topup credit) but if you wanted it you can have it.

How come GiffGaff has different plans? One for tablets and one for phones. Surely I would need the tablet one if I have the tablet? So LTE unlocked means I can put a phone sim in my tablet and use the phone plan internet data on my tablet?

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

How come GiffGaff has different plans? One for tablets and one for phones. Surely I would need the tablet one if I have the tablet? So LTE unlocked means I can put a phone sim in my tablet and use the phone plan internet data on my tablet?

OK so with GiffGaff they do apparently block you if they detect you are using the unlimited mobile phone data on a tablet or with tethering, not how effective that would be (Android OS lets you set your own connection APN so as long as you use the mobile phone APN it would probably work) I don't know.

No, unlocked means you can put a SIM in from any network and it will work, so 3, EE, O2 ect. even foreign SIMs when you are travelling, it is up to the individual network and their policy if they will try and deactivate phone SIMs being used in a tablet, LTE bit just means it can connect to LTE (4G) if you have it in range (and in the case of some networks you pay for it).

It's up to you if you want to try a phone SIM, as long as you pay PAYG or month by month (like GiffGaff) you wouldn't loose out much if they deactivated your SIM, but for the least hassle it is easier just using a tablet SIM, you just get the data and there is no hassle, as I say I've used phone SIMs in my tablet and had no problems whatsoever, there isn't really any way for them to know you have it in a tablet but YMMV.