Power button won't power pc on but can still power off

1Gigabyte

Basically, when i turn on my pc in the morning i press the chassis power button and nothing happens, then i flick the psu power switch from on to off and back to on pretty quickly and it turns on. It will then turn itself off so then I must flick the switch from on to off and back to on and the same thing happens. When i do it a third time if finally stays on.

If i turn off the pc with the powerbutton its perfectly fine but once again if i try to turn it on again the power button just doesn't work so i flick the switch from on to off to on again then it will work first try if its within maybe 2 hours of when it last turned off but if any longer such as overnight then i need to repeat the process three times in total.

What is casuing this issue?

6 minutes ago, 1Gigabyte said:

Basically, when i turn on my pc in the morning i press the chassis power button and nothing happens, then i flick the psu power switch from on to off and back to on pretty quickly and it turns on. It will then turn itself off so then I must flick the switch from on to off and back to on and the same thing happens. When i do it a third time if finally stays on.

If i turn off the pc with the powerbutton its perfectly fine but once again if i try to turn it on again the power button just doesn't work so i flick the switch from on to off to on again then it will work first try if its within maybe 2 hours of when it last turned off but if any longer such as overnight then i need to repeat the process three times in total.

What is casuing this issue?

You got the plug wires backwards on the mobo?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Buttons aren't polarized...

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Buttons aren't polarized...

The button isn't, but I"ve seen wires that can be plugged in "backwards" (+ to - and - to +) wouldn't that do it?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

The button isn't, but I"ve seen wires that can be plugged in "backwards" (+ to - and - to +) wouldn't that do it?

So putting in an LED backwards stops the power button from working?

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

So putting in an LED backwards stops the power button from working?

Hey beats me man, I was just offering a suggestion to check for the OP. Maybe the button, physically, is damaged? WE don't have enough info to go on here, pre-built, self-made, age, etc.

15 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have tried multiple times to flip it and plug them into different pins to no avail

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Hey beats me man, I was just offering a suggestion to check for the OP. Maybe the button, physically, is damaged? WE don't have enough info to go on here, pre-built, self-made, age, etc.

Self-made, maybe 1-2 years since i built it 

Just now, 1Gigabyte said:

I have tried multiple times to flip it and plug them into different pins to no avail

If you use a flatblade screwdriver to jump the power pins on the mobo, does it power on normally? I'm wondering if the button itself on the PC case is damaged

37 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If you use a flatblade screwdriver to jump the power pins on the mobo, does it power on normally? I'm wondering if the button itself on the PC case is damaged

Just tried it now and it works to turn it off same as with the button but also doesn't turn it on without flicking the psu switch

Just tried it now and it works to turn it off same as with the button but also doesn't turn it on without flicking the psu switch

Sounds like there's a short somewhere in what the PSU provides in power to the mobo.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Sounds like there's a short somewhere in what the PSU provides in power to the mobo.

So its the power supply?

So its the power supply?

Well, it's possible. I'd unplug the power supply from the wall power, wait 10 minutes or so, unplug all the power connections from the mobo, examine for corrosion/etc, carefully clean the pins on the mobo where power connects, ensure they are dry, reconnect the power supply unit, connect to wall power, and try again.

If there is visible corrosion on the pins or the power supply connections, let us know before trying to clean them up.