Looking for TV advice

ZenMonkey

I'm looking to upgrade to a 65" TV. Right now, I have a 55" Toshiba L621U, which I use primarily for watching content via stream with various apps (VRV, Plex, YouTube, Hulu, Disney+, Netflix, Amazon Video... pretty much everything except HBO max at the moment). My living room tends to be moderately lit at night to brightly lit on sunny days. I almost never watch TV in the dark, and I don't have much of a glare issue where my TV sits. I use an NVidia shield once in a blue moon to do some gaming on my TV, but don't do any console gaming.

I'm trying to stay under $1500. After about two weeks of research, I'm currently split between the Hisense H9G to save $500 (but I heard they had an update that kind of invalidates a lot of the reviews from earlier this year) or the Sony X950H which seems to have better picture quality all around, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks. Any advice? Is there an option I'm overlooking or anecdotal evidence I should consider?

That sums it up pretty well: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market

I personally bought a LG C9 OLED based on their advice and it has been one of the best things i bought in the last few years. OLED is simply superior when it comes to picture quality. While some people say it's not good for bright rooms, it still gets plenty bright. I can't go back to LCD TVs anytime soon. I'll stay with OLED until MicroLED makes it's way on to the consumer market for a reasonable price. But thats still quite a few years off.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

29 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

That sums it up pretty well: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/tvs-on-the-market

I personally bought a LG C9 OLED based on their advice and it has been one of the best things i bought in the last few years. OLED is simply superior when it comes to picture quality. While some people say it's not good for bright rooms, it still gets plenty bright. I can't go back to LCD TVs anytime soon. I'll stay with OLED until MicroLED makes it's way on to the consumer market for a reasonable price. But thats still quite a few years off.

Oh man, I would love an LG CX, but I was concerned over the bright room quality plus the $2200 price tag. Is it really worth that much more?

4 hours ago, ZenMonkey said:

Oh man, I would love an LG CX, but I was concerned over the bright room quality plus the $2200 price tag. Is it really worth that much more?

All i can say is i'm sold on OLED. The picture is just so crisp and the "perfect blacks" make HDR look so good even when they're not as bright as some LCDs like the Samsung Q80T or Q90T. Bright room quality is still good enough. The peak brightness is still around 700-750 nits, which is probably more than most LCDs you can buy other than the really high end ones. For me it was definetly worth the premium.

Also, if the CX is too expensive, you can try to get a C9, which is discontinued. But has the exact same picture quality and maybe is cheaper if you can find one.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.