How to add older DVD games to Steam/Origin?

DasMuesli

Hey guys,

I have googled my question but not really found a satisfying answer, hope you can help.

Is there any way I can add older games that I have bought on DVD (Crysis, Crysis - Warhead, GTA IV, CoD - MW2) permanently to my Steam/Origin library and basically turn them into downloadable content so I won't need the DVD's anymore? Reason I am asking is I will buy a new case soon which won't have a 5.25" bay anymore to install a DVD-ROM in. I tried to add Crysis to Origin via the 'Add Game' function but when I typed in the product code I got an error message.

Thanks!

Tom

P.S.: Buying an external DVD drive would be the very last resort.

You would have to re-buy it.

You can add non-steam games to your library, but you need to have them installed in your computer to do that. 

The best you can do is add it as a non steam game, other than that you would have to rebuy it on that platform.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Really? That sucks given the fact that I already spent money on those games. :/

Also another option that popped into my mind is converting the DVD's into ISO's and just store them on my HDD ...

Really? That sucks given the fact that I already spent money on those games. :/

Also another option that popped into my mind is converting the DVD's into ISO's and just store them on my HDD ...

You can do that, it's technically illegal but who cares, you're not gonna get in trouble for it. Another option would be external usb dvd drive. I would just make the iso, I've done it before and it's no biggie.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

You can activate old EA games to orifin by contacting EA support. Juat aay that your diac is broke and you have serial. Give it to support and he/she will activate it to your origin account. Sis thia for BF1942 (before it was free) and Mass Effect 3

I use the .iso method myself. All my disk games are permanently mounted in their own virtual disk drive, then Steam links to those as executables. Works fine :)

if you still have the box with the cd key you can activate the game on steam then it will be locked to your account done this with my civ 5 and others but civ 5 was more recent 

You can do that, it's technically illegal but who cares, you're not gonna get in trouble for it. Another option would be external usb dvd drive. I would just make the iso, I've done it before and it's no biggie.

Creating the ISOs is not illegal, for personal use.

When it comes to distributing them. now that is another story.

You can copy that floppy, you just can not share it.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

It might be worth trying to redeem some of your serial keys on each of the platforms, sometimes you can redeem certain games on Origin/Steam.

if you still have the box with the cd key you can activate the game on steam then it will be locked to your account done this with my civ 5 and others but civ 5 was more recent 

You can activate old EA games to orifin by contacting EA support. Juat aay that your diac is broke and you have serial. Give it to support and he/she will activate it to your origin account. Sis thia for BF1942 (before it was free) and Mass Effect 3

I only tried Crysis so far and neither on Steam nor on Origin my product code is accepted. I suppose I would only be able to add a game if it is also sold on that platform, correct? I could try and go through EA/Steam support and have them manually added unless there is another way?

I made a little tutorial on how to add non-steam games to steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_iGOTfgYpw

Disclaimer: Note this video is very old, and when my channel was dedicated to Minecraft

You do not need to rebuy games to add them to Origin.

You just need to use the same account details for Origin as you did the DVD's

Contact support, they'll do it for you or just give you a code to enter yourself.

They may ask you for a picture of the DVD and manual with key, just give them the key

and answer any questions about your account, they don't need to see a photo or reciept

that's just canned reply crap.

Creating the ISOs is not illegal, for personal use.

When it comes to distributing them. now that is another story.

You can copy that floppy, you just can not share it.

Yes it is illegal to make an iso. Do some research into it. It is illegal to make your own copy without the content holders permission. Whether it be dvds, sega games anything.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Why is it illegal?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

You do not need to rebuy games to add them to Origin.

You just need to use the same account details for Origin as you did the DVD's

Contact support, they'll do it for you or just give you a code to enter yourself.

They may ask you for a picture of the DVD and manual with key, just give them the key

and answer any questions about your account, they don't need to see a photo or reciept

that's just canned reply crap.

Ok I'll try to have support add the games to my account!

Thanks everyone for your help!!!

Why is it illegal?

Because you don't own the software when you buy something. You're essentially paying to use the software but it isn't yours. The content owner still owns that software you bought even if you bought the disc.  You don't have the right to modify it in any way or do what you want without the content creators permission. As per current laws, it's screwed up but that's how it is.