Overheating GPU?

SSK-99
Go to solution Solved by martward,
1 minute ago, SSK-99 said:

Thanks for the help. 

Does this basically limit what your card can do in exchange for better temps? Just asking since I've never used Afterburner to change settings before, just to read temps.

Yes that is exactly what you do. When you buy a GPU it has a core clock and a boost clock. The core clock is the same for every card with the same chip (so all 1660 supers have the same base core clock). The boost clock will vary between AiBs, and this is a guaranteed boost clock. So Gigabyte, for example, will create a card with a cooler around a 1660 super and they will guarantee that this card will boost to xxxx Mhz.

Usually your card will boost higher, Nvidia cards have GPU Boost that takes care of this.

As I understand it (please someone correct me if I'm wrong): The GPU boost will try to clock you GPU higher until it either

a) reaches a voltage limit

b) reaches a power limit

c) reaches a temperature limit

The temperature limit is in your case probably 83 degrees. For some reason (at least in my PC) just lowering the temperature limit doesn't work, I need to keep the temperature and power limit coupled and lower them together.

What I did was lower these targets and set a custom fan curve (which made it quieter) and I went from 83 degrees under load to 74 degrees under load, while the card boosted 90MHz lower (still 75MHz over the advertised boost clock).

Hope this helps :).

Hi everyone,

I was playing Minecraft with shaders getting just over 60fps (Ryzen 5 3600 and 1660 Super), and noticed my GPU rising slowly over time. It hit 83C before I turned the game off since I was worried.

Do I need to worry and is there anything I can do? Could this be a physical problem with the card since the fans do make some weird noises sometimes...

Any help appreciated :)

image.png.bb356ffb579f316b3e39887516cff01c.png

44 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

since I was worried

No need to be worried, unless this is suddenly happening while it was way cooler before. By default the temperature GPU boost will stop boosting your GPU is 83 degrees, so if it stays at 83 degrees then this is probably what you're experiencing. My RTX2060 does the same. If you are like me, and rather not have your GPU this hot, open up MSI Afterburner and slide the Temperature limit and Power limit slide all the way to the right left. You will lose a bit of MHz (in my case it was still above the advertised boost clock), but it will run cooler.

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

6 minutes ago, martward said:

No need to be worried, unless this is suddenly happening while it was way cooler before. By default the temperature GPU boost will stop boosting your GPU is 83 degrees, so if it stays at 83 degrees then this is probably what you're experiencing. My RTX2060 does the same. If you are like me, and rather not have your GPU this hot, open up MSI Afterburner and slide the Temperature limit and Power limit slide all the way to the right. You will lose a bit of MHz (in my case it was still above the advertised boost clock), but it will run cooler.

Do you mean all the way to the left?

2 minutes ago, SSK-99 said:

Do you mean all the way to the left?

Indeed I do.

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, martward said:

Indeed I do.

Thanks for the help. 

Does this basically limit what your card can do in exchange for better temps? Just asking since I've never used Afterburner to change settings before, just to read temps.

1 minute ago, SSK-99 said:

Thanks for the help. 

Yes that is exactly what you do. When you buy a GPU it has a core clock and a boost clock. The core clock is the same for every card with the same chip (so all 1660 supers have the same base core clock). The boost clock will vary between AiBs, and this is a guaranteed boost clock. So Gigabyte, for example, will create a card with a cooler around a 1660 super and they will guarantee that this card will boost to xxxx Mhz.

Usually your card will boost higher, Nvidia cards have GPU Boost that takes care of this.

As I understand it (please someone correct me if I'm wrong): The GPU boost will try to clock you GPU higher until it either

b) reaches a power limit

The temperature limit is in your case probably 83 degrees. For some reason (at least in my PC) just lowering the temperature limit doesn't work, I need to keep the temperature and power limit coupled and lower them together.

What I did was lower these targets and set a custom fan curve (which made it quieter) and I went from 83 degrees under load to 74 degrees under load, while the card boosted 90MHz lower (still 75MHz over the advertised boost clock).

My System:

Spoiler

On 12/16/2020 at 7:21 PM, martward said:

b) reaches a power limit

Hi again,

The same thing just happened with my CPU (3600 with Stock Cooler). I launched a Minecraft World and it went to 85/86C for a good 5-10 seconds before dropping to its normal 70-80C range. Is this dangerous for the CPU, or is anything wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help again

2 hours ago, SSK-99 said:

Hi again,

The same thing just happened with my CPU (3600 with Stock Cooler). I launched a Minecraft World and it went to 85/86C for a good 5-10 seconds before dropping to its normal 70-80C range. Is this dangerous for the CPU, or is anything wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help again

The max temperature of the 3600 is 95C, so if you're running the stock cooler and it gets to 85C under load then that does not mean there is something wrong with it. It is, however, a rather toasty temperature and I would personally do look into an aftermarket cooler, also because it could increase your performance (not very much though). I am in the same situation where I am running the 3600 with the stock cooler, I am thinking of buying the Bequiet! dark rock pro 4, which is rather expensive. Alternatively I'm looking at the     
Gelid Solutions Phantom or Scythe Mugen 5, which are less expensive.

My CPU will exceed 80C during load with the stock cooler, even though it's in an open case because my glass window broke :P.

tl;dr: No it's not dangerous, but I would suggest looking into an aftermarket cooler.

My System:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, martward said:

The max temperature of the 3600 is 95C, so if you're running the stock cooler and it gets to 85C under load then that does not mean there is something wrong with it. It is, however, a rather toasty temperature and I would personally do look into an aftermarket cooler, also because it could increase your performance (not very much though). I am in the same situation where I am running the 3600 with the stock cooler, I am thinking of buying the Bequiet! dark rock pro 4, which is rather expensive. Alternatively I'm looking at the     
Gelid Solutions Phantom or Scythe Mugen 5, which are less expensive.

My CPU will exceed 80C during load with the stock cooler, even though it's in an open case because my glass window broke :P.

tl;dr: No it's not dangerous, but I would suggest looking into an aftermarket cooler.

Thanks for the reply and all the help mate :)

Will definitely look into coolers