can both usb 3 headers be used at once?

Go to solution Solved by rakkir 196,

i got a response from ASUS:

I understand you are interested in the STRIX B550-I GAMING and would like to know if you are able to use both the USB 3.2 and USB 3.1 header at the same time. Based on your query, ports and headers are usually cross-compatible, however, because one is USB 3.1 and the other USB 3.2, you will only get the USB 3.1 working. Unfortunately, both ports might not work at the same time. Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you. We value you as an important ASUS customer and we want to ensure your experience with us is fulfilling.

so even ASUS support is not sure. it might work but i am not going to risk it, i will just run some ports at usb 2

thanks guys

can i use both the usb 3.2 and 3.1 headers at the same time? i want to run a Fractal Design Core 500 with a 5.25 bay usb hub. itx board so an add in card is not an option.

thanks

image.png

22 minutes ago, rakkir 196 said:

can i use both the usb 3.2 and 3.1 headers at the same time? i want to run a Fractal Design Core 500 with a 5.25 bay usb hub. itx board so an add in card is not an option.

thanks

image.png

You can look in the manual for that board which can be found on ASUS's website. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

i just checked, the manual is not more helpful, it says they are different ports but not that they are on different controllers. are they different enough to need to be different controllers? there is a usb 2.0 header so i guess i could run some ports off that.

i will send ASUS an email but i think this is not going to work.

i got a response from ASUS:

I understand you are interested in the STRIX B550-I GAMING and would like to know if you are able to use both the USB 3.2 and USB 3.1 header at the same time. Based on your query, ports and headers are usually cross-compatible, however, because one is USB 3.1 and the other USB 3.2, you will only get the USB 3.1 working. Unfortunately, both ports might not work at the same time. Thank you for the opportunity to address this matter with you. We value you as an important ASUS customer and we want to ensure your experience with us is fulfilling.

so even ASUS support is not sure. it might work but i am not going to risk it, i will just run some ports at usb 2

thanks guys