Spark and loud bang from back of PC, but everything still working fine

recurf

Hello,

I built this PC in January this year. The PSU is a Corsair 550TXM.

I was just playing a card game on my PC, so it wasnt under heavy load. There was a white flash and bang behind my PC (couldnt see exactly where from), the PC then restarted its self.

I unplugged everything, left it for 30mins and turned it back on... nothing is wrong with it. I loaded up a game, ect everything was fine.

I don't know what to do, or what exactly caused it. The plug into the PSU did feel a bit loose, its also quite dusty inside the PC. I havnt cleaned it since I built it.

Should I RMA the PSU? I really don't want to rebuild my PC if I don't have to, but I also don't want to risk damaging my components? (Ryzen 3600, gtx1080)

The electrics in my house are quite dodgy, I have had quite a lot of times where we loose power and have to reset the breaker. Could that have damaged the PSU?

Please only comment if you know a lot about this, thanks.

3 minutes ago, recurf said:

Please only comment if you know a lot about this

Probably blew a cap and it is amazing that it is still working.  STOP USING IT NOW!!!   Shouldn't be much of a rebuild either, just replace the PSU.  Dodgy power issues, poor wiring and poor grounding is not ever a good thing.  You should get it checked out by a professional (your house wiring)

9 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

You should get it checked out by a professional (your house wiring)

Truth is, house wiring is just... well... wiring. And some switches, fuses or breakers etc. Little can be wrong with that. If there is something wrong with it, it usually just doesn't work at all. (which is the sort of power issue when the power just goes out entirely, breakers or RCDs trip etc.)

Voltage drops and other things that are known as "crappy power", AKA issues that don't result in total failure, are mostly caused by the power grid outside of your house, which you can do nothing about, except moving to a different place. Luckily, a good psu usually deals with such fluctuations just fine.

9 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

Probably blew a cap... STOP USING IT NOW!!!

I agree with that. If a de-ripple capacitor on the secondary blows up, the psu can keep working, but the heavy ripple that is now present can fry hardware over some time.

12 hours ago, recurf said:

Hello,

I built this PC in January this year. The PSU is a Corsair 550TXM.

I was just playing a card game on my PC, so it wasnt under heavy load. There was a white flash and bang behind my PC (couldnt see exactly where from), the PC then restarted its self.

I unplugged everything, left it for 30mins and turned it back on... nothing is wrong with it. I loaded up a game, ect everything was fine.

I don't know what to do, or what exactly caused it. The plug into the PSU did feel a bit loose, its also quite dusty inside the PC. I havnt cleaned it since I built it.

Should I RMA the PSU? I really don't want to rebuild my PC if I don't have to, but I also don't want to risk damaging my components? (Ryzen 3600, gtx1080)

The electrics in my house are quite dodgy, I have had quite a lot of times where we loose power and have to reset the breaker. Could that have damaged the PSU?

Please only comment if you know a lot about this, thanks.

What's the lot code for the PSU?  This is the first 8 digits of the serial number.

• 4 weeks later...

Update, I got an RMA. Installed the new one and its working fine for a month now. My theory is that a capacitor overheated and exploded